Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-09-2010, 08:46 PM   #16
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Brit forum campaign to US promoters: SHOW US YOUR FIGHTS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed7890 View Post
So let people watch a replay the next day too, or for the following week. Have people sign up for the year, loads would go for that. You could throw in some of their back catalog of fights, legendary nights, that sort of thing, sweeten the deal.

Still very, very small market compared to the ones they move in. I just don't think we are even on their radar or ever likely to be TBH.

The best bet IMHO is someone like Primetime, a small company who is happy with those sort of revenues/ profits, acting as an intermediate and buying the UK rights off the promoters.
GazOC is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2010, 09:10 PM   #17
Smudger
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1323

Quote:
So let people watch a replay the next day too, or for the following week. Have people sign up for the year, loads would go for that. You could throw in some of their back catalog of fights, legendary nights, that sort of thing, sweeten the deal.
I like this idea. I'd happily pay a decent amount per year to get all the fights live and on demand. How can they lose out? How much does it cost to put up a stream online of the fight live, and then archive it or something so people can rewatch it? I'd happily pay out 5 per fight for that. Surely a couple hundred thousand would too? Or is that optimism as it's best? How many views did Pac-Clottey / Mayweather-JMM / Mosley live on SS get here?
Smudger is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2010, 10:26 PM   #18
felix
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smudger View Post
I like this idea. I'd happily pay a decent amount per year to get all the fights live and on demand. How can they lose out? How much does it cost to put up a stream online of the fight live, and then archive it or something so people can rewatch it? I'd happily pay out 5 per fight for that. Surely a couple hundred thousand would too? Or is that optimism as it's best? How many views did Pac-Clottey / Mayweather-JMM / Mosley live on SS get here?
couple of hundred thousand? you'd be lucky with a few thousand.
felix is offline  Top
Old 06-09-2010, 10:46 PM   #19
HeavyT
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
couple of hundred thousand? you'd be lucky with a few thousand.
unfortunately, your correct
HeavyT is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:32 AM   #20
Chinny
Contender
ESB Senior Member

It can't do any harm.

If it prompts one of Arums employees to pick up the phone to ESPN UK (who have a new boss by the way) to say "you can have this fight and that fight live for x if you want it", then it is a worthwhile exercise

As others have noted, in the summer months with no prem football, ESPN is not a great product for the majority of the UK
Chinny is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:50 AM   #21
alba
Guess who?
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
nobody come out with any negative comments on this thread. your either on board or **** off to a thread about Fraudley Harrison

Rob ,im seeing you in a new light.

ive sent emails to goosen tutor,don king and GB .
alba is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:51 AM   #22
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chinny View Post
If it prompts one of Arums employees to pick up the phone to ESPN UK (who have a new boss by the way) to say "you can have this fight and that fight live for x if you want it", then it is a worthwhile exercise
If Arum's sales staff can't work that out for themselves, then I'm not sure the chances of them figuring out how to open your email are that great.
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 03:54 AM   #23
Cobbler
Shoemaker To The Stars
East Side Guru

Location: I don't have a small head. I have posted other pictures on here that prove I don't have a small head
vCash: 1088

Quote:
Even HBO and Showtime could allow us to sign up online to watch fights.
Why would HBO or Showtime buy the UK rights that none of the existing UK sports broadcasters think worth buying, and then go to the extra expense of setting up a new broadcast medium to show them?
Cobbler is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 05:04 AM   #24
ed7890
Col. Hunter Gathers
ESB Addict

vCash: 1127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler View Post
Why would HBO or Showtime buy the UK rights that none of the existing UK sports broadcasters think worth buying, and then go to the extra expense of setting up a new broadcast medium to show them?
No I'm suggesting they provide a service which can be bought by everybody outside of North America. Surely the rest of the world has a decent enough boxing audience to make a bit of money off World Title fights.

If any country has a broadcaster which already shows the fights themselves, then just block out that country also.

Hasn't Don King done something like this for some of his fights?
ed7890 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 06:02 AM   #25
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

RICHARD SHAEFER IS ON THE BUNCE SHOW TONIGHT. BOMBARD THEM WITH TEXTS AND EMAILS ABOUT WANTING TO SEE THERE FIGHTS.

Here are the contact details:0207 224 200. Text 07786 200 949 and [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #26
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobbler View Post
Not sure how it's illegal to download them if essentially no-one owns the rights in the UK. I guess rights reisde with the host promoter, but then they aren't losing out. Possibly illegal from the point of view of the broadcaster as you're watching their show, but do they care if you're outside where they broadcast?

Not sure really what your point is here, are you saying Bob Arum doesn't even try to sell international rights for his fights. Because I'm pretty sure he does.
it is ilegal because they can sell the replays of the fights at a later date.

I am saying they don't put enough effort in or search for other ways if Sky don't want to pay.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:06 AM   #27
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix View Post
Your messaging the wrong people, do you think us promoters aren't selling their fight to the uk? Message sky, primtime, espn even the bbc if you've got nothing else to do.
we have tried that many times before. there not intrested. the message has to go to the promoters.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:07 AM   #28
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
I'd guess the problem for Showtime and HBO is could they be arsed setting streams up for the money it would generate? We're not exactly big business esp. at 4am.
HBO and Showtime dont own the international rights.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:09 AM   #29
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC View Post
Still very, very small market compared to the ones they move in. I just don't think we are even on their radar or ever likely to be TBH.

The best bet IMHO is someone like Primetime, a small company who is happy with those sort of revenues/ profits, acting as an intermediate and buying the UK rights off the promoters.
but there must be something about it the promoters dont like. they have not shown a fight card from a major US promoter listed that wasnt part of the Super 6. The UK rights for the super 6 are owned by Hennesey.

I am sure there have reached out to King, Goldenboy and so on, maybe they dont wanna piss sky off.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:16 AM   #30
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Hmmm... what's Schaefer going to do? The UK networks just aren't interested in boxing. Simple as that. Bombard the BBC, Five and ITV. As terrestrial channels they could make a huge difference to the sport.

It's the complexity of negotiating individual fights that causes the problem. Remember Cotto-Jennings? Nearly off Setanta because ****** owned the TV rights in the UK, despite Top Rank's deal with the channel.

If there was a single body that controlled the sport, like FIFA or the SPL or the Premiership - it'd be easy. But it isn't.
dftaylor is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum