Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-10-2010, 06:32 AM   #31
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Re: Brit forum campaign to US promoters: SHOW US YOUR FIGHTS!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dftaylor View Post
Hmmm... what's Schaefer going to do? The UK networks just aren't interested in boxing. Simple as that. Bombard the BBC, Five and ITV. As terrestrial channels they could make a huge difference to the sport.

It's the complexity of negotiating individual fights that causes the problem. Remember Cotto-Jennings? Nearly off Setanta because ****** owned the TV rights in the UK, despite Top Rank's deal with the channel.

If there was a single body that controlled the sport, like FIFA or the SPL or the Premiership - it'd be easy. But it isn't.
NO NEGATIVE POSTS. IF YOU WANNA BE NEGATIVE ABOUT THIS START YOUR OWN THREAD.

We have tried the all the UK channels before. Boxing News ran a huge campaign that went unnoticed.

Richard Shaefer will hope to make money from Amir Khan Sky PPV. If we make him aware that 3 of his likley future opponents have never been shown live in the UK, and that will affect the PPV sales, he will take notice. ITV were not intrested in showing Khans last fight until it was given to them for free. Why not do the same with there other fights.

Setanta were always clear about the fact they showed all top rank fights except for those with a seperate UK tv deal i.e ******. It was only confusing because Setantas website told us they were showing it for 3 months until the week of the fight.

Theres no FIFA but you could call the BBBofC the equivilent of the FA.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-10-2010, 06:42 AM   #32
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Go **** yourself, Rob - it's a public forum. And your point is moot. The promoters have no power in the situation. TV bring the money. If TV aren't interested, then the promoters won't go down that avenue. Schaefer isn't going to run a charity to promote fights in the UK when they make a shitload more in the US without even trying.

These sort of campaigns don't work because it's not the head of the company that ever sees them, just some poor admin assistant who gets pissed off at you for bombarding their mailbox. They start putting auto-delete rules in and then you're completely ****ed.

So, don't be naive. Pestering promoters won't do a thing. Keep writing to the BBC, try and make a contact with their head of sports and do the same for the others.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #33
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Go **** yourself, Rob - it's a public forum. And your point is moot. The promoters have no power in the situation. TV bring the money. If TV aren't interested, then the promoters won't go down that avenue. Schaefer isn't going to run a charity to promote fights in the UK when they make a shitload more in the US without even trying.

These sort of campaigns don't work because it's not the head of the company that ever sees them, just some poor admin assistant who gets pissed off at you for bombarding their mailbox. They start putting auto-delete rules in and then you're completely ****ed.

So, don't be naive. Pestering promoters won't do a thing. Keep writing to the BBC, try and make a contact with their head of sports and do the same for the others.
Have to resort to name calling and swear words don't you your like my 7 year old brother.

On the start of the thread i say no negative comments. This thread is for people who want to get on board and get behind something, but instead its full of smart ass comments from posters like you who would want it to fail just to prove your point. seeing as your the marketing guru why dont you come up with a way that could help us instead of just trying to put me down to look clever?

The promoters have all the power. they own the rights to the fight.

If he is not running a charity why did he put the Khan fight on ITV for free..............BECAUSE HE REALISED THE IMPORTANCE IF KEEPING KHAN IN THE PUBLIC EYE.

surley the same can be said about his potential opponents. put the fights on youtube, on the internet do something becasue were not seeing them Schaefer might at least think about putting on an internet feed for UK fans. We see interviews with him all the time talking about the UK market have so much potential.

The TV excecutives as I have said in other threads have an easy answer for us that we all have to except "We dont have the budget". Whats the promoters reason for not finding a way for UK fans to see there fighters.........there isnt one.
What don't you understand about the face we have tried the UK tv companies before?

If they dont make 50k from Sky buying it, make 10k from a internet PPV. at least give us an option.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:57 AM   #34
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Have to resort to name calling and swear words don't you your like my 7 year old brother.
No Rob, you just come across as pompous and curiously uneducated in the way the world works. Your imperious, arrogant tone is tiring and simply, like others have done in the past, you need to be told to **** off.

Schaefer put Khan on ITV for free (not true, actually, they paid a nominal licence fee) because no one would pay for it. Sky passed, BBC passed, ESPN passed and Primetime said it wouldn't sell. That's reality.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:02 AM   #35
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
No Rob, you just come across as pompous and curiously uneducated in the way the world works. Your imperious, arrogant tone is tiring and simply, like others have done in the past, you need to be told to **** off.

Schaefer put Khan on ITV for free (not true, actually, they paid a nominal licence fee) because no one would pay for it. Sky passed, BBC passed, ESPN passed and Primetime said it wouldn't sell. That's reality.
and you telling me that achieves what exactly????????

I have read numrous boxing writers say that they only paid for there TV crew to go out there. How do you know what Primetime said it wouldnt sell???

theres a reason why Sky didnt offer enough for the fight or BBC and ESPN didnt make an offer at all, they didn't feel Malignaggi was a credible opponent. This is becasue we last saw Malignaggi getting bashed up by Hatton. If Malignaggi vs Diaz 1 and 2 had been shown here, maybe the tv guys would be thinking differently.

Give me some reasons why Golden Boy Promotions shouldnt set up an internet stream for there fights not being shown on tv in the UK? Why not jsut give us an option?
Old 06-10-2010, 07:04 AM   #36
ed7890
Col. Hunter Gathers
ESB Addict

vCash: 1127

Quote:

Err, the lad is spending his own time trying to get more boxing shown, but because you think it's a waste of time, you have to come in here to tell him to **** off?
ed7890 is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:07 AM   #37
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ed7890 View Post
Err, the lad is spending his own time trying to get more boxing shown, but because you think it's a waste of time, you have to come in here to tell him to **** off?
the guy is just a smart ass. whenever there is a point he cant argue agaisnt he just ignores it.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:10 AM   #38
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

I didn't Ed. I said I didn't think it would work for the reasons I listed. He then launched into his usual idiocy where he makes out the's the king of public opinion ON A PUBLIC FORUM. So I told him to **** off.

It's fine he wants to make a difference, but he's going about it the wrong way. These sort of campaigns require two things:

planning
participation

He needs a very clear goal. Let's say:

He wants a YouTube channel run by Top Rank. It would include classic fights under the TR banner, plus replays of the big fights the week after they're screened on HBO or wherever.

He asks what would encourage TR to do this. They tell him (potentially). He goes and gathers support from other fans to get this done.

Sending hundreds of emails just pisses people off. That's why I made the point. It's not negative when I'm pointing out a glaring flaw in his strategy.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:11 AM   #39
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
the guy is just a smart ass. whenever there is a point he cant argue agaisnt he just ignores it.
No Rob, I just don't repeat myself when the point's already been made. I've yet to see you make any real cogent point that would ever sway my opinion.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:20 AM   #40
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
I didn't Ed. I said I didn't think it would work for the reasons I listed. He then launched into his usual idiocy where he makes out the's the king of public opinion ON A PUBLIC FORUM. So I told him to **** off.

It's fine he wants to make a difference, but he's going about it the wrong way. These sort of campaigns require two things:

planning
participation

He needs a very clear goal. Let's say:

He wants a YouTube channel run by Top Rank. It would include classic fights under the TR banner, plus replays of the big fights the week after they're screened on HBO or wherever.

He asks what would encourage TR to do this. They tell him (potentially). He goes and gathers support from other fans to get this done.

Sending hundreds of emails just pisses people off. That's why I made the point. It's not negative when I'm pointing out a glaring flaw in his strategy.
taylor.....what i don't understand is why you didn't jsut post this in the first place. if you had come on and said.

"Good idea Rob but your getting ahead of yourself and going about it the wrong way. These sort of campaigns require two things:

planning
participation

You need to be very clear goal. Let's say:

If you want a YouTube channel run by Top Rank. It would include classic fights under the TR banner, plus replays of the big fights the week after they're screened on HBO or wherever.

We need to ask what would encourage TR to do this. They will tell us (potentially). then we can goe and gather support from other fans to get this done.

Sending hundreds of emails just pisses people off."

there would be no problem.

Instead you come on and just be negative about it. I am happy to to delete this thread, and start a new one with that plan in mind and team up to get somewhere. If everyone is together on this and in agreement we can achieve something, thats why i didnt want anyone coming on and being negative.

my theory behind bombarding everyone with emails is that we will at least get a response. A polite email can get ignored.
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #41
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

I definitely think this thread will cause them to sit up and take notice. I also think it will force the TV stations over here to put boxing on their schedules
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:23 AM   #42
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

I'm sorry but I don't have much sympathy for people complaining about having to watch on crappy you know whats when there are perfectly good quality options for a small price. Don't be such a cheap stake and it really isn't a hassle to watch these fights at the same quality as an 'official' you know what.

Obviously it would be better if everything was on TV but don't make life hard for yourself...
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:30 AM   #43
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

Quote:
taylor.....what i don't understand is why you didn't jsut post this in the first place. if you had come on and said.

"Good idea Rob but your getting ahead of yourself and going about it the wrong way. These sort of campaigns require two things:

planning
participation

You need to be very clear goal. Let's say:

If you want a YouTube channel run by Top Rank. It would include classic fights under the TR banner, plus replays of the big fights the week after they're screened on HBO or wherever.

We need to ask what would encourage TR to do this. They will tell us (potentially). then we can goe and gather support from other fans to get this done.

Sending hundreds of emails just pisses people off."

there would be no problem.

Instead you come on and just be negative about it. I am happy to to delete this thread, and start a new one with that plan in mind and team up to get somewhere. If everyone is together on this and in agreement we can achieve something, thats why i didnt want anyone coming on and being negative.

my theory behind bombarding everyone with emails is that we will at least get a response. A polite email can get ignored.
Rob, you're right. I am being an ungracious ass. Drop me a PM with what you want to do and we can look for a plan.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:31 AM   #44
ishy
P4P King
East Side VIP

If the terrestrial channels don't want to show our own, big name British fighters there's no chance they want to show obscure names (cos that's what they are to the general public. We may know who Paul Williams and Chad Dawson are but the average bloke doesn't) at 4am.

If these fights are going to get on telly it'll be Sky, ESPN, Primetime and maybe Eurosport.
ishy is offline  Top
Old 06-10-2010, 07:40 AM   #45
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000

Quote:
HBO and Showtime dont own the international rights.
I know, which is why in my next post I suggested that a company like Primetime working buying the rights off the promoters might be the best bet.

The other (very unlikey IMHO) option is to make the international rights attractive enough for HBO/ Showtime to bid on and make availiable to us.
GazOC is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum