Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 05-22-2013, 03:09 AM   #1
SkinChecker
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500
Default My Cousin overcoming his stutter because of his boxing hero. I want to share this.

My cousin passed away recently so I feel like I wanted to share this story.

He had the worst stutter imaginable for the longest time. I remember that he could barely get words out and just stopped talking so he won't feel embarrassed. I remember the weekend I found out about his idol. My Aunt told me that he's favorite athlete is a British Heavyweight. I immediately thought Lennox Lewis (who's my favorite), so I was really excited that weekend because I wanted to talk Lewis... I went into his room and Jesus Christ .... there was two big Audley Harrison posters looking at me (I didn't even know Audley had posters) I started laughing right away and kept on making fun of my cousin for idolizing one of the biggest frauds and jokes in Heavyweight History. He walked out the room and left me there laughing, I stopped laughing when I saw the two big quotes underneath the poster..

'Setbacks pave way for Come Backs'

'Yes I can'

I guess those two quotes and the way Audley kept on trying again and again somehow touched my cousin in a way I'll never understand. I remember certain weekends I'll go visit him and he'll be up in his room trying to say those two quotes without stuttering... yet failing again and again. Last year was his first year in college and I remember the day when he dropped by to visit me with the biggest grin I ever seen .. and the first words he shouted at me was

'SET BACKS PAVE WAY FOR COME BACKS' 'YES I CAN' 'YES I CAN'

He finally did it, he overcame his stuttering.. I guess I was happy for him but never really paid much attention to just how great of a feat that was and how much of an impact Audley's two quotes had on him. He recently died in a car accident and I realized that maybe to everyone else Audley was a joke, (he certainly is a joke to me) but certain aspects of who Audley Harrison is and the way he live his life might motivate people in ways that most of us can never understand.

Set Backs pave way for come backs.... Audley will probably fail again, but I'm glad his quotes brought my cousin a measure of happiness and peace.
SkinChecker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-22-2013, 03:15 AM   #2
Lucian Bute
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: My Cousin overcoming his stutter because of his boxing hero. I want to share this

Sorry to hear your cousin died tragically.

Great to hear that he was able to overcome his stutter.

Audley had nothing to do with it.

Your cousin bravely and faithfully tended his growing sense of self-belief and this is what allowed him to overcome his stutter.

Audley doesn't believe in himself and he never did. He is a compulsive liar and a conman. He isn't brave and he isn't honourable. Audley would never have been able to overcome your cousin's stutter in a million years.

Your cousin is the exact opposite of Audley. Whereas your cousin appeared to be a loser but turned out to be a winner, Audley appeared to be a winner who turned out to be a loser. Audley never tries. He gives up as soon as he gets up in the morning. Unlike your cousin, who tried and tried and tried until he overcame a big challenge. Audley is like an alcoholic who continues to promise that tomorrow he will give up drinking. Your cousin certainly wasn't.
Lucian Bute is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2013, 03:27 AM   #3
infinite run
Journeyman

Default Re: My Cousin overcoming his stutter because of his boxing hero. I want to share this

He's just a 30 year old Lennox Lewis.
infinite run is offline  Top
Old 05-22-2013, 03:29 AM   #4
infinite run
Journeyman

Knocking out 'Muhammad Ali' like in the simpsons ain't the same.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:32 AM   #5
infinite run
Journeyman

BORKED

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum