boxing
Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 02-11-2015, 04:19 AM   #1
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Rocky v The 1950 Version Of Charles?

Ezzard Charles gave champ Marciano a good s**** in1954 ,how would the four years earlier version have done?
mcvey is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 02-11-2015, 09:55 AM   #2
mr. magoo
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Default Re: Rocky v The 1950 Version Of Charles?

I've often wondered that myself. He took him the distance the first time and won a few rounds. Opened up a big cut in the rematch, before being stopped. The Charles of the late 40's and early 50's was beating the best heavys and light heavys around, and probably hadn't burned out yet due to being so busy. I'm thinking it could have gone either way. But some reporters back then said that Ezzard looked better than he ever did against Rocky. Who knows.
mr. magoo is offline  Top
Old 02-11-2015, 09:05 PM   #3
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Come on McVey. U know the older Charles was better than the 1950 version. Careful or that **** Mongoose will cry that your anti-Italian. ��
he grant is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 04:14 AM   #4
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Come on McVey. U know the older Charles was better than the 1950 version. Careful or that **** Mongoose will cry that your anti-Italian. ��
Since you completely blew him out of the water
I don't think he will ever use that line again.
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 05:18 AM   #5
The Long Count
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 350

I saw Rocky V and thought this was a bizarre thread about that awful stallone movie.
The Long Count is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 08:49 AM   #6
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Charles outpoints him.
But very possibly a rematch would be a KO win for Rocky.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 09:14 AM   #7
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side VIP

vCash: 819

Those picking Charles should probably consider the Barone fight from 1950. A durable LHW swarmer, Barone supposedly had success pressing Charles and attacking his body before running out of gas. Or even the trouble the crouching Valentino gave Charles in their 49 fight.

Charles also was nursing some injuries in 1950, which led to a disappointing performance against Breshore.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Also Wilfrid Smith who had the pleasure of covering prime Ezzard Charles big fights in Chicago, had this to say regarding the Marciano fight: "Charles unquestionably offered the greatest fight of his long career"

Than there is this.

W.J. McGoogan "You wander what Charles could possibly do in September or any other time that he did not do on June 17. He fought a wonderful fight, possibly the best in his career of about seventeen years
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 09:15 AM   #8
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
Since you completely blew him out of the water
I don't think he will ever use that line again.
No, he hates Italian descended fighters, and simply claiming to be Italian himself does not blow anything out of the water. I can write racist tirade after tirade against asians, than claim to be asian myself, and so what?
Old 02-12-2015, 09:18 AM   #9
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Mongoose View Post
Those picking Charles should probably consider the Barone fight from 1950. A durable LHW swarmer, Barone supposedly had success pressing Charles and attacking his body before running out of gas. Or even the trouble the crouching Valentino gave Charles in their 49 fight.

Charles also was nursing some injuries in 1950, which led to a disappointing performance against Breshore.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Also Wilfrid Smith who had the pleasure of covering prime Ezzard Charles big fights in Chicago, had this to say regarding the Marciano fight: "Charles unquestionably offered the greatest fight of his long career"

Than there is this.

W.J. McGoogan "You wander what Charles could possibly do in September or any other time that he did not do on June 17. He fought a wonderful fight, possibly the best in his career of about seventeen years
Any future post picking Charles needs to address these issues. Rather than knee-jerk..."CHARLES WAS YOUNGER, HE DO BETTER!"
Old 02-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #10
choklab
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500

Charles wasn't shot when he fought Marciano the first time or anything like it. His only decisive loss since 1950 was the knockout loss to Walcott and some think he won the last instalment of their serries anyway.

Charles fought often, so often in fact that even in the 1940s or even as champion he put out stale performances. Dan Parker of the new york post called Charles "a colourless mediocrity" after the Detroit win over Walcott. The defence against Maxim was described in the form of a three inch blank space in one newspaper.

Although Nat Fleischer had praised the Valentino fight he was equally scathing of the Beshore fight that was titled "Charles No Louis Beating Beshore" in his magazine.

On losing his title Charles dropped a couple of close decisions but appeared to be a more aggressive fighter who went for it a bit more. The fighters he was facing were tougher guys than 90% of his title chalengers too. Lesenevich, valentino, Barone, Beshore, maxim were no better than Layne, Harold Johnson, Nino Valdes, Cesar Brion, Bob Satterfeild and Coley Wallace.

IMO The film's against Johnson, Layne, Satterfeild, Harrison and wallace are not of a shot or boring fighter and these all came after losing the title. Charles had a long break from January to June to prepare for Marciano in 1953 too. I dont think Charles was any less effective against Marciano the first time than he could have been at any point. Where were the hard beatings and damaging heavyweight fights before that point for Charles?
choklab is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 11:42 AM   #11
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Any future post picking Charles needs to address these issues. Rather than knee-jerk..."CHARLES WAS YOUNGER, HE DO BETTER!"
Any one typed that?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 11:44 AM   #12
mcvey
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
No, he hates Italian descended fighters, and simply claiming to be Italian himself does not blow anything out of the water. I can write racist tirade after tirade against asians, than claim to be asian myself, and so what?
So he's a liar? He isn't of Italian descent? You know this to be a fact? My monies on H.E. But you don't take cash bets do you?
mcvey is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 11:51 AM   #13
Seamus
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by choklab View Post
Charles wasn't shot when he fought Marciano the first time or anything like it. His only decisive loss since 1950 was the knockout loss to Walcott and some think he won the last instalment of their serries anyway.
He went 10-14 after the first Marciano bout with not a single significant victory. When exactly did he become shot?
Seamus is offline  Top
Old 02-12-2015, 12:11 PM   #14
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcvey View Post
So he's a liar? He isn't of Italian descent? You know this to be a fact? My monies on H.E. But you don't take cash bets do you?
I don't care what he is or what he claims to be, it doesn't change his agenda, that's the whole point.

Sure, just like when you predicted Stiverne would beat Wilder.
Old 02-12-2015, 12:12 PM   #15
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seamus View Post
He went 10-14 after the first Marciano bout with not a single significant victory. When exactly did he become shot?
Why don't you tell us when Charles became "shot."

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum