Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-13-2010, 10:43 AM   #1
emallini
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default The Rahman rematch is Lennox Lewis best win

That fight was crunch time. Rahman knocked him clean out and Lennox showed such a strong mind to go out and fight the perfect fight and spark the guy in 4. Rahman really got to him that was his chance for revenge and he executed it. He showed what a champ is made of. AND WHAT A KNOCKOUT
emallini is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
Heavyrighthand
Champion
East Side Guru

Default Re: The Rahman rematch is Lennox Lewis best win

Each had a vicious KO over the other, so I always thought the third fight should have been made.

Not sure why Rahman fought Holyfield instead of at least trying to exact his revenge on Lewis. I thought he should have been given the opportunity, and it would have been a big money fight for all involved. The fight was fully warranted.
Heavyrighthand is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
KnockOutArtist
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

A rubber match was hardly warranted. Even Rahman knew his victory was a fluke, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to duck the first rematch like he did. Lennox had to sue to get Rahman back in the ring and then proved to all doubters that the first fight really was a fluke by soundly beating Rahman. Given his behavior in trying to prevent the second match, I highly doubt Rahman was as eager for a rubber match. I think their bouts compare mostly to Louis-Schmeling. No rubber match was needed because of the brutal beatdown in the second fight.

McCall has a greater case for a rubber match. I think it'd certainly help both their credentials, given the controversial nature of both fights. It might have even put an end to the "McCall had an iron chin" myth.

The rematch is certainly one of Lewis' legacy building wins. To me, it's one of the biggest things that set him apart from the Klits. He lost, took the rematch, and soundly silenced all doubters.
KnockOutArtist is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #4
Dempsey1238
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnockOutArtist View Post
A rubber match was hardly warranted. Even Rahman knew his victory was a fluke, otherwise he wouldn't have tried to duck the first rematch like he did. Lennox had to sue to get Rahman back in the ring and then proved to all doubters that the first fight really was a fluke by soundly beating Rahman. Given his behavior in trying to prevent the second match, I highly doubt Rahman was as eager for a rubber match. I think their bouts compare mostly to Louis-Schmeling. No rubber match was needed because of the brutal beatdown in the second fight.

McCall has a greater case for a rubber match. I think it'd certainly help both their credentials, given the controversial nature of both fights. It might have even put an end to the "McCall had an iron chin" myth.

The rematch is certainly one of Lewis' legacy building wins. To me, it's one of the biggest things that set him apart from the Klits. He lost, took the rematch, and soundly silenced all doubters.

Rahman did have a rule in the contract that he can have one defense before getting back in the ring vs Lewis.

I dont blame Rahman trying to get his 1 title defense in before the Lewis rematch. What Lewis did was void of the contract.
Dempsey1238 is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 01:04 PM   #5
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

IMO Lewis' best career win is his TKO victory over Vitali Klitschko.

Unlike Vitali, all the rest such as Holyfield, Tyson, Golotha, Briggs etc. etc. have done little to nothing after they lost to Lennox. Vitali on the other hand went undefeated after losing to Lennox, defending his belt for half a dozen times or so. Much more consistent than any of Lennox' previous opponents.

Rahman was a nobody who got lucky with a single shot. That's it. Lewis probably felt good for avenging his loss but Rahman never was in his class in the first place. In his resume the Rahman win in the rematch does not stand out particularly.

Last edited by madballster; 06-13-2010 at 01:34 PM.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 01:33 PM   #6
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

**** no, his best win easily is his win over Tua or his final victory over Klitschko.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #7
Paulsy
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad*****ter View Post
IMO Lewis' best career win is his TKO victory over Vitali Klitschko.

Unlike Vitali, all the rest such as Holyfield, Tyson, Golotha, Briggs etc. etc. have done little to nothing after they lost to Lennox. Vitali on the other hand went undefeated after losing to Lennox, defending his belt for half a dozen times or so. Much more consistent than any of Lennox' previous opponents.

Rahman was a nobody who got lucky with a single shot. That's it. Lewis probably felt good for avenging his loss but Rahman never was in his class in the first place. In his resume the Rahman win in the rematch does not stand out particularly.
Lennox only won by TKO in that fight against Vitali due to an accidental cut on Vitali's eye. He was behind on points when the fight was stopped although granted the momentum was beginning to swing in Lewis' favour but that momentum was arguably only due to the cut which was impairing Vitali's vision. In my opinion that fight proved very little about Lewis, I would of liked to see a rematch. I almost feel robbed that a rematch didn't happen, personally I think Lennox lost all confidence in his ability to beat Vitali otherwise he would of took it.
Paulsy is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 01:57 PM   #8
madballster
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

We all would have loved to see a rematch but it is what it is. Lewis eeked out a win that night and probably was pretty happy about it, even though he tried anything he could to ridicule and play down Vitali's career after beating him.
madballster is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #9
KnockOutArtist
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Lennox landed his best shot, that big right, repeatedly, because of how low Vitali holds his left hand. That's hardly accidental or some once in a lifetime event, like some would have you believe. Stylistically, Vitali will always find himself victim to that punch and subsequent damage because he doesn't hold his hands properly. That works fine against smaller opponents or opponents with less power or technical skill than him, but an old, overweight, unmotivated Lennox still managed to exploit it.

I'd say it ranks as a good win for Lennox if only because Vitali is still a major force in today's heavyweight division. And Lennox still managed to beat him on his way out to retirement.

We wouldn't think the same of Holmes' reign if he had lost to Ali in their fight. We wouldn't have taken Tyson seriously if he lost to Holmes or Spinks. Instead, Vitali fans have to delude themselves into believing Vitali's technical failings in the fight were a fluke and that it counts as a win because he 'won' the event.
KnockOutArtist is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 02:24 PM   #10
Paulsy
Journeyman

What about the technical failings that saw Lennox get punched repeatedly in the face by Vitali Klitschko for the first four rounds of the fight.

Lennox only began landing the big right consistently once Vitali was blinded out of his left eye consequently blind sighting him to that punch.

The point is Lennox didnt 'win' that fight in any conventional manner the fight was stopped due to an accidental cut and by default Lennox got the win. It wasn't skill that beat Vitali it was a fluke cut. The debate as to who is better, Lennox or Vitali, was unresolved by the fight. Therefore to claim it as one of Lennox's greatest victories is beyond ****ing ridiculous.
Paulsy is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulsy View Post
What about the technical failings that saw Lennox get punched repeatedly in the face by Vitali Klitschko for the first four rounds of the fight.
The technical failing of being old, overweight and rusty?

Quote:
Lennox only began landing the big right consistently once Vitali was blinded out of his left eye consequently blind sighting him to that punch.
Seeing as how the left eye was damaged from right hands, me no understand.

Quote:
The point is Lennox didnt 'win' that fight in any conventional manner the fight was stopped due to an accidental cut
Winning by a cut is an unconvential manner?

Anyone want to have a stab at how many fights in history have been stopped by a bad cut? To the nearest ten thousand?
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 02:41 PM   #12
theboy_racer
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Lennox only won by TKO in that fight against Vitali due to an accidental cut on Vitali's eye. He was behind on points when the fight was stopped although granted the momentum was beginning to swing in Lewis' favour but that momentum was arguably only due to the cut which was impairing Vitali's vision. In my opinion that fight proved very little about Lewis, I would of liked to see a rematch. I almost feel robbed that a rematch didn't happen, personally I think Lennox lost all confidence in his ability to beat Vitali otherwise he would of took it.
theboy_racer is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 03:12 PM   #13
Brighton bomber
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

The point is Lennox didnt 'win' that fight in any conventional manner the fight was stopped due to an accidental cut and by default Lennox got the win. It wasn't skill that beat Vitali it was a fluke cut. The debate as to who is better, Lennox or Vitali, was unresolved by the fight. Therefore to claim it as one of Lennox's greatest victories is beyond ****ing ridiculous.
Well he must have been doing OK before the cut because it was a good right hand that caused the initial cut in the first place. Lewis didn't just turn the fight his way because he had cut Vitali he turned the fight because he began to figure Vitali out.

As the rounds went on Lewis started to establish his jab, land more frequently with the right and brought in his devastating uppercut when Vitali got in close.

Had Lewis been in better condition and had not been so rusty he would have started better and fought at a pace that would have forced a stoppage wether Vitali was cut or not. But he wasn't and I can't do anything to change that fact just as you can do nothing about the fact Lewis proved he was the better man that night and got the win.
Brighton bomber is online now  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 03:17 PM   #14
KO KIDD
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 835

I'm a huge Lewis fan and its funny its hard to say who his best win is he beat so many good fighters but Tyson was past it Holyfield was on the old side Bruno was older and hardly the best Vitali is a very good win but its argued due to circumstances he beat Tua when Tua was at a real Apex in his career

Its hard I mean I cant put a finger on Lewis's or either Klitschko's premier win
KO KIDD is offline  Top
Old 06-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #15
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heavyrighthand View Post
Each had a vicious KO over the other, so I always thought the third fight should have been made.

Not sure why Rahman fought Holyfield instead of at least trying to exact his revenge on Lewis. I thought he should have been given the opportunity, and it would have been a big money fight for all involved. The fight was fully warranted.
He more or less conceaded defeat after the fight..

"Its a round robin. Don't nobody have long championship reigns that I have seen. We want Johnny Ruiz next!"
Cachibatches is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum