Godfrey - KO/TKO 0 0%
Voters: 35. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-23-2010, 03:37 AM   #31
Ivo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1151
Default Re: Marko Huck vs. Matt Godfrey // 08/21/2010

Nice win for Huck. Unfortunately, Godfrey did not show much resistance. He was very timid. I am not sure if this is the way he fights usually since it was the first time I watched him.

It seems that the door is open for another Super Six.
Ivo is offline  Top
Old 08-23-2010, 09:54 AM   #32
Adams1983

vCash:

Ross Enamait who helps train Godfrey put this on his forum when asked if he would do anything different.

There are a lot of things that I'd like to see differently about his training as a whole (which aren't new btw). It's a unique situation though. I'd rather not get into everything on a public forum, but one particular problem is that Matt does not live locally. He doesn't even live in the same state. He commutes each time he trains. A fighter shouldn't be driving over 3 hours a day.

You can be sure that a fighter such as Huck lives where he trains during a set training camp. So much more work can be performed when you can focus solely on training, rather than spending 15+ hours a week just driving to the gym. All of that time in the car takes away from training time, pre and post workout nutrition, etc.

I'd much rather see a fighter in a dedicated training camp, where he eats, sleeps, and trains under the supervision of his trainers. In doing so, the fighter gets better work, has more opportunities to train, has supervised nutrition, etc.

When commuting daily, there is only one chance to train each day. Everything else is left up to the fighter. For example, if he boxes here on a given day, the supplemental work (ex. running, additional conditioning exercise, etc.) is up to him. No one can monitor him, set the pace, oversee the session, etc.

If the work does take place, it happens after 3+ hours of driving on his own. Not only is he alone, he doesn't have access to the same facilities, equipment, etc. It's just him on his own after a long day of driving. He's also on his own with nutrition. No one is there to oversee what he's eating, drinking, etc.

Matt has much more potential than most people realize but changes will need to be made. There is no doubt about it. To be an elite professional athlete, you must eat, sleep, and shit as one.

So to summarize, yes I would like to see several changes made. Time will tell if or when that happens.

Does not seem like the best preparation for a fight.
Old 08-23-2010, 01:32 PM   #33
Adams1983

vCash:

He then added

It's not about blame or right vs. wrong.

It's a matter of objectively viewing the training process. When you train an athlete, you've got to consider all of the variables that impact the end product. A fighter who spends more time driving to the gym than he does training in the gym is not in the best position to win a world title. The time spent driving has a huge impact on the training process. You are forced to plan around the drive. You are also limited to a single session each day.

If he could stay locally for a full training camp, there would be obvious improvements. The fact that there is so much room to improve the training IS a problem. There shouldn't be room to improve a camp that is designed to prepare a fighter for a world title.

Think of it this way. You have a quality morning workout and now you have the option to eat, rehydrate, and rest, OR you can hop in you car and drive a few hours.

A fighter who can rest after training (ex. go back to his room to eat, drink, and relax) is in a better position to train again later in the day. A fighter who needs to first drive a few hours home and THEN eat isn't in an ideal position to train again later that day. If he does, he performs the work on his own with no supervision or instruction. He also eats on his own. Imagine a fighter in camp whose trainer has no idea what he's eaten throughout the camp. I couldn't tell you one meal that he consumed throughout the entire camp, as I've never been there when he is eating.

Matt works hard when he's here and has a ton of potential. It's unfortunate that his current arrangement does not put him in the best position to be at his best. This isn't a matter of opinion, but rather an obvious fact.

I'm sure there are people who don't want me saying this, but I'd rather put it out there in hope that things can change in the future.

Ross
Old 08-24-2010, 06:48 AM   #34
Rick G
Casual Fan
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
He will probably lose by knockout first, assuming he keeps his date with Lebedev.
Yes! A solid KO loss is exactly what Huck needs now to wake up and to start to listen to his trainer.
Lebedev has earned his shot at the title. Let them fight for the super six ticket!
Rick G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum