Old 06-18-2010, 05:53 AM   #46
Body Snatcher
Approaching World Level
ESB Full Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Smith Simpson off bill pulled

Quote:
Originally Posted by leforge View Post
Who will get contracts I reckon Matchroom, Maloney will, will ****** and Hatton get contracts?
Are Matchrooms shows in general that great though for them to get a guarenteed contract?

Maloney tends to put on decent main events but dire undercards.

I'm not sure, it could be all up for grabs if Sky crack the whip and demand more competetive undercards etc

If they do you would think that ******, with his larger stable of fighters may come out best from that situation
Body Snatcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-18-2010, 06:08 AM   #47
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Snatcher View Post
Are Matchrooms shows in general that great though for them to get a guarenteed contract?

Maloney tends to put on decent main events but dire undercards.

I'm not sure, it could be all up for grabs if Sky crack the whip and demand more competetive undercards etc

If they do you would think that ******, with his larger stable of fighters may come out best from that situation
Hatton has 2 years left of a 3 year deal with Sky so thats no problem.

Matchroom may not have the best cards but there the cheapest. Matchrooms whole relationship with sky is that they provide a large quanity of cheap programmeing whether its boxing, darts, poker, snooker, pool. It fills Skys schedule when theres no football and its cheap for them to buy.

The reason ****** is in the situation he is in is becuase he charges more money for Sky to show his shows than other promoters. He is demanding that he gets Saturday night shows for 3 hours but those shows get no more viewers than Prizefighter or a decent card from Hatton/Maloney and Matchroom.

******s time a the number 1 promoter in this country has come to an end. If you were sky you would be happy if Hatton/Maloney/Matchroom were the only games in town.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2010, 06:10 AM   #48
victorhugo4222
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Any reason given as to why its cancelled?
victorhugo4222 is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2010, 06:22 AM   #49
Body Snatcher
Approaching World Level
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
******s time a the number 1 promoter in this country has come to an end. If you were sky you would be happy if Hatton/Maloney/Matchroom were the only games in town.
I'm not so sure it has, i accept that he appears to be having problems with Sky but at the end of the day he has the deepest talent pool of fighters of any promoter in the country (how far they will all end up progressing is open for debate) and you dont stay on top for as long as he has without being able to get through difficult patches. It's not like any other promoter in this country is blowing him out of the water with amazing and competetive cards each week is it?

One thing i think we all agree on is that this needs sorting asap, we have a lot of good fights out there that need to be made and i dont want to see them squandered because of TV issues!
Body Snatcher is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2010, 06:28 AM   #50
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

Sky shouldn't do deals with promoters.

They should make them tender for TV dates as they do in America.

All they have to do here is put a British/Commonwealth/European title fight on the bill.

HBO practically run the sport in America, pretty much all the fights that people want to see get made..... here there are dozens of fights that could be made but aren't, because there are several routes (titles) to keep people apart and use the ''when it's bigger.....'' bullshit excuse.

Plenty of very average fighters are contesting and winning British titles - by it's very name, the best British fighter in said division should hold the title..... otherwise it's pointless it even existing.

If the title is held up for any given length of time because someone is winning and defending world honours, so be it.
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2010, 06:30 AM   #51
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Body Snatcher View Post
I'm not so sure it has, i accept that he appears to be having problems with Sky but at the end of the day he has the deepest talent pool of fighters of any promoter in the country (how far they will all end up progressing is open for debate) and you dont stay on top for as long as he has without being able to get through difficult patches. It's not like any other promoter in this country is blowing him out of the water with amazing and competetive cards each week is it?

One thing i think we all agree on is that this needs sorting asap, we have a lot of good fights out there that need to be made and i dont want to see them squandered because of TV issues!
he only has the deepest contrant pool becuase he can pay the most money. without a tv deal he can no longer do that. All his contracts with his fighters will say they have a minimum number a fights each year, i.e a mimimum amount of money they will earn each year. With DeGale, Gavin and his other fighters only having 1-2 fights so far this year, and its looking like they wont hit more than 4, there contrants will be void and they are free agents able to speak to other promoters.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:41 AM   #52
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
Sky shouldn't do deals with promoters.

They should make them tender for TV dates as they do in America.

All they have to do here is put a British/Commonwealth/European title fight on the bill.

HBO practically run the sport in America, pretty much all the fights that people want to see get made..... here there are dozens of fights that could be made but aren't, because there are several routes (titles) to keep people apart and use the ''when it's bigger.....'' bullshit excuse.

Plenty of very average fighters are contesting and winning British titles - by it's very name, the best British fighter in said division should hold the title..... otherwise it's pointless it even existing.

If the title is held up for any given length of time because someone is winning and defending world honours, so be it.
I theory your right but I don't see HBO making the biggest fights. Remember HBO did a 3 year deal with Goldenboy. Name a fight from HBO this year that was the biggest possible fight in the division?

Haye vs Klitscko - Not made
Dawson vs Hopkins - Not made
Pavlik vs Williams - Not made
Mayweather vs Pacquiao - Not made
Gamboa/Lopez/John/Caballero - Not made
Darchinyan vs Donaire - Not made

With David Haye vs a Klitscko, HBO have told them they will only show a fight between each other, and will not show there fights agaisnt someone else. Why don't they do this with Tim Bradley, Amir Khan and Devon Alexander. Why not do this with Paul Williams and Sergio Martinez, why not do this with Mayweather and Pacquiao. They should tell top rank they wont show Gamboa unless its agaisnt Caballero.

Sky need to do the same. They should tells Brian Magees managment that the only fight they want to see him in is agaisnt Paul Smith.

They should tell Sam Webb they want him to fight Matthew Hall, if he wants to fight Max Maxwell he can see call ESPN.

If Ovil McEnzie wants to fight on sky, it needs to be agaisnt Bellew

Same with Macklin and Barker, John O'Donnell/Jennings and Kell Brook.

Sky should tell McCloskey to defend his european title agaisnt Olusegun of piss off.

If John Murray and Kevin Mitchell want to be shown again, fight each other.

Why let Martin Lindsay fight Akash Bhatia and John Simpson fight Bell, make them fight each other.
Old 06-18-2010, 06:51 AM   #53
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

I agree.... but some of those fights failed to happen through no fault of HBO.

Dawson was with Showtime when Hopkins whipped Pavlik..... by the time Dawson was with HBO Hopkins was considering his options - he didn't fight anyone in the meantime so it's not as if they screened a shit fight in it's place.

Pavlik kept getting injured.... Martinez stepped in and fought Williams, and then beat Pavlik later.

Mayweather vs Pacquiao and Haye vs Klitschko are both farces, egos, promoters, drug testing

Over here loads of fights don't happen for absolute bullshit reasons, or promoters being scared of losing their prized assets. There are more fighters per individual promoter over there, so if a great fight (May/Pac) does fall away, a good one fills it's place (May/Mosley) which was a fight we wanted to see anyway.

On the British situation, you are bang on
Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2010, 06:58 AM   #54
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by leforge View Post
Hatton not got a 3 year deal to my knowledge. I thought he had 8 fight deal.

Matchroom have been putting on shows with Hennessy I sure that will continue. Also prizefighter gets very good viewing figures.

****** suffers from his bills falling apart more than other promotors. Were the Simpson fight ever on?
hattons deal is 8 shows per year for 3 years.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:00 AM   #55
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beeston Brawler View Post
I agree.... but some of those fights failed to happen through no fault of HBO.

Dawson was with Showtime when Hopkins whipped Pavlik..... by the time Dawson was with HBO Hopkins was considering his options - he didn't fight anyone in the meantime so it's not as if they screened a shit fight in it's place.

Pavlik kept getting injured.... Martinez stepped in and fought Williams, and then beat Pavlik later.

Mayweather vs Pacquiao and Haye vs Klitschko are both farces, egos, promoters, drug testing

Over here loads of fights don't happen for absolute bullshit reasons, or promoters being scared of losing their prized assets. There are more fighters per individual promoter over there, so if a great fight (May/Pac) does fall away, a good one fills it's place (May/Mosley) which was a fight we wanted to see anyway.

On the British situation, you are bang on
Hopkins didnt fight anyone after Pavlik for a long time and Dawson moved over in that time. HBO showed Hopkins vs Jones Jnr, they should have told Hopkins he fights Dawson or Bute at 168, or he can speak to another tv company.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:12 AM   #56
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 2019

It could be a good thing IF Sky and Frank ****** were to fall out.

It means, Frank will be approaching other companies with a view to negotiating a contract.

There's a certain channel has just started showing Boxing with Buncey hosting.

I know I may have 5 from 2+2 here, but maybe, just maybe........
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2010, 07:15 AM   #57
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
It could be a good thing IF Sky and Frank ****** were to fall out.

It means, Frank will be approaching other companies with a view to negotiating a contract.

There's a certain channel has just started showing Boxing with Buncey hosting.

I know I may have 5 from 2+2 here, but maybe, just maybe........
If ESPN did a deal for boxing it wouldnt be with ******. There whole setup is cheap cheap cheap. They are pay 23x less for Seria A football then what Setanta were paying.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:18 AM   #58
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
If ESPN did a deal for boxing it wouldnt be with ******. There whole setup is cheap cheap cheap. They are pay 23x less for Seria A football then what Setanta were paying.
That's because Setanta went bust and all of the contracts were available on the cheap.

I think it's unlikely myself, but I guarantee Frank will have spoken to them.
Grant1 is offline  Top
Old 06-18-2010, 07:28 AM   #59
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grant1 View Post
That's because Setanta went bust and all of the contracts were available on the cheap.

I think it's unlikely myself, but I guarantee Frank will have spoken to them.
and becuase the people running ESPN are not stupid. Setanta could have got the deal for the same price if they wanted, it was Sky and Setanta then and now its Sky and ESPN. nothings changed just ESPN are not dumb.

yeh i also think he spoke to them but they laughed down the phone at him when he said he wanted 250k for Don Broadhurst vs Andy Bell.
Old 06-18-2010, 07:56 AM   #60
Grant1
Champion
East Side Guru

ESPN will not be able to renew the Setanta contracts at the same price.

When they are up for renewal there will be competition that wasn't there when Setanta folded.
Grant1 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum