Old 06-25-2010, 07:33 AM   #31
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970
Default Re: Jeff Fenech vs lester Ellis

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerry View Post
Fenech was a great fighter, a tough, walk forward punching machine. He really was a mauler, a thug and a bully, but he anything but, Boilermaker, classy. He was also one dimensional (albeit very good at that dimension) and small (he was, after all bees'dick weight champion).
Ellis, at least in his first incarnation, was a boxer as well as fighter, and was bigger.
I remember a lot of media interest of the time about a local super fight between the two of them and, from memory, Fenech was less than interested. There was a rumor going around at the time that Lester had sparked Jeff during a sparing session down at the Fitzroy Star gym, Knocked him out cold. One of Lester's brothers has since confirmed this with me (as well as a few others that claimed to be there).
Lets not forget that Fenech suffered a devastating knockout by Calvin Grove in '93 and and three months later Ellis lost a close points decision to Grove (although losing in similar fashion to Fenech in a rematch nearly three years later).
Taking all this into account I think Ellis would have been to big, tough and slick for fenech had they met in the mid eighties.
Good post and fair call.

I was at Ellis v Michael (we've all seen it anyway) and Lester obviously wouldn't have wanted to approach a bout with Fenech in that manner. Having said that, he certainly wasn't disgraced by Michael, and did have a bigger body than Fenech.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2010, 07:54 AM   #32
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

DBerry... totally agree with 90%.. The sparring incident was actually in Sydney.. Porky and Lester went to spar Jeff. First day of sparring, Lester is said to have dropped Fenech with a body shot.

That being said, the Lester who belted Dale Artango was ****ing vicious and damaging with great body punches... The Lester who copped a shocking early rounds disorientating by Rod Sequennan recovered better than Jeff did from any belting.. An arguement against that would be that Fenech didn't get hurt that badly in his late 80's bouts?? Well.. Id hate to know what he weighed 'legitimately' the day of each fight.. His weight was/ and continues to be questioned.. amongst other things from the day...

Just a shame the weights never co-insided with a bout eventuating. Both Barry and Lester would give Fenech fits at Jnr Lightweight.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2010, 07:56 AM   #33
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Good post and fair call.

I was at Ellis v Michael (we've all seen it anyway) and Lester obviously wouldn't have wanted to approach a bout with Fenech in that manner. Having said that, he certainly wasn't disgraced by Michael, and did have a bigger body than Fenech.

You think Fenech could have absorbed the same punishment as what Barry did during that fight??
Old 06-25-2010, 08:17 AM   #34
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
You think Fenech could have absorbed the same punishment as what Barry did during that fight??
Fair question.

Lester's body shots in particular, were always brutal.

But Fenech's work rate was awesome and his power only blunted by those crappy hands of his.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 06-25-2010, 08:28 AM   #35
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Fair question.

Lester's body shots in particular, were always brutal.

But Fenech's work rate was awesome and his power only blunted by those crappy hands of his.
So true.... work rate made up for plenty.
Old 06-26-2010, 03:23 AM   #36
Boilermaker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBerry View Post
Fenech was a great fighter, a tough, walk forward punching machine. He really was a mauler, a thug and a bully, but he anything but, Boilermaker, classy. He was also one dimensional (albeit very good at that dimension) and small (he was, after all bees'dick weight champion).
Ellis, at least in his first incarnation, was a boxer as well as fighter, and was bigger.
I remember a lot of media interest of the time about a local super fight between the two of them and, from memory, Fenech was less than interested. There was a rumor going around at the time that Lester had sparked Jeff during a sparing session down at the Fitzroy Star gym, Knocked him out cold. One of Lester's brothers has since confirmed this with me (as well as a few others that claimed to be there).
Lets not forget that Fenech suffered a devastating knockout by Calvin Grove in '93 and and three months later Ellis lost a close points decision to Grove (although losing in similar fashion to Fenech in a rematch nearly three years later).
Taking all this into account I think Ellis would have been to big, tough and slick for fenech had they met in the mid eighties.
I see your point. By Classy, i meant he was in the top echelon of fighters in the world. Lester, despite being a world champion, i think was ever quite the best fighter in the world at his weight. That is what i meant by classy.

I can see the argument that Lester is too big, and at the time i thought this. But, i still think Jeff is simply too good for lester and beats him. The size is a major problem though, as others have pointed out, and could you imagine the later rounds, if Fenech's hands were to fail him, like they usually did when he was at his best. Probably swings the pundulum back in Lesters favour.
Boilermaker is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum