Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 06-29-2007, 05:51 PM   #1
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Nievas got a lousy $40 Grand......

for being a punching bag..........

Nievas earns respect

Article from: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]</IMG>
By Grantlee Kieze
June 29, 2007 12:00am

PABLO Zamora Nievas came to Australia as a comedy act but is going home with the award for best performance in an action drama.
His courage under fire against Anthony Mundine at the Gold Coast Convention Centre on Wednesday night was the kind of whole-souled, huge-hearted, guts-and-glory effort that elevates boxing from a crude spectacle into what George Foreman once described as the heavyweight champion of all sports.
In no other arena is an athlete's courage, fitness and pride tested as much as in the theatre of combat that is professional boxing.
Nievas finished Wednesday's WBA super-middleweight title fight with his face literally rearranged, his prominent proboscis bloated and listing to the right courtesy of Mundine's left hand that snaked into him with all the force and rapidity of a machinegun barrage.
The Argentine was given no chance and could probably have sold advertising on the soles of his shoes, given that he was expected to finish flat on his back.
He had never gone beyond six rounds in a thoroughly unspectacular career and had been held to a draw by a bloke Mundine had knocked out.
Nievas finished Wednesday's fight on the wrong side of a lopsided 12-round decision and was a sorry sight in his corner, weeping after the hiding he had endured.
But rolling down his puffy face were tears of joy.
He had defied the critics who had labelled him a patsy and, more importantly, he had stood up to the furious assaults of a boxer coming off emphatic victories over Danny Green and Sam Soliman.
"He's one of the toughest opponents I've faced in my career," Mundine said."He just kept coming back."
Like him or loathe him, the former rugby league flyer is greased lightning in the boxing ring and proving himself to be one of the best boxers in the world at his weight.
Nievas had never fought anyone remotely in Mundine's class and was thrown into the WBA world ratings to give The Man a cheap opponent for a cut-price promotion where there would be minimal risk.
Nievas was offered $40,000 and a couple of economy airfares. If he didn't like the deal, there were dozens of other hungry nobodies who would fight for less.
But after an undercard that saw five of Mundine's mates score quick KOs, Nievas scored a personal victory by going the distance.
Mundine made the fight a game of cat and mouse.
It was cruel for the outclassed challenger and for the spectators wincing every time Mundine's left hand smacked Nievas in the face.
But decked early, the Argentine fought back hard, gritting his teeth, snarling like an animal and taking it up to Mundine as best he could, throwing looping, lunging punches and occasionally landing one.
Nievas wasn't going to win but by every fibre in his aching body he was going to be there at the finish.

He got that right...... "There were dozens of other hungry nobodies who would fight for less."

People are starting to wake up. Every time an article like this is published ........everytime it's spoken about on radio.......The PPV sales go down.......and Mundine will be forced into fighting legitimate opponents.

Not one single pub in our area showed the fight........and from what I have heard.......only one Club.

We know that tickets to the fight were being given away en masse.

There has been noticeably less interest since the Green fight.

Mundine better up the ante real soon, or nobody will give a ****.

You can fool some of the people some of the time.......but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.......except for TCW.....EelsRule..... etc

Last edited by oztriker; 06-29-2007 at 05:53 PM.
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 08:00 PM   #2
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Nievas got a lousy $40 Grand......

So what he did have to take the fight, it was an opporunity to fight for a title, Green only got 30 000 for the first Beyer fight.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 08:15 PM   #3
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by T.C.W
So what he did have to take the fight, it was an opporunity to fight for a title, Green only got 30 000 for the first Beyer fight.
Uh.....OK......so it was fine for Green to fight for peanuts when he had a real chance of winning a World Title, but.......

When Mundine has a real chance of winning 2 real world titles and possibly a further unification bout with Calzaghe.....it is cool for him to turn it down for monetary reasons.

If you can't see that smacks of double standards, then you've been sniffing too many Mundine jockstraps.
oztriker is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-2007, 09:45 PM   #4
Barge FTA
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I went to the fight night and i enjoyed it a lot. it was totally worth my money. Pablo and his team showed true class and professionalism. they only aspect of the night i disliked was Anthonys ring entrance. totally disrespectful to his opponent and wasn't classy at all.
Barge FTA is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 09:57 PM   #5
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge FTA
I went to the fight night and i enjoyed it a lot. it was totally worth my money. Pablo and his team showed true class and professionalism. they only aspect of the night i disliked was Anthonys ring entrance. totally disrespectful to his opponent and wasn't classy at all.
You can accuse Mundine of many things....... Being "Classy" is certainly not one of them.
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 11:29 PM   #6
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by oztriker
Uh.....OK......so it was fine for Green to fight for peanuts when he had a real chance of winning a World Title, but.......

When Mundine has a real chance of winning 2 real world titles and possibly a further unification bout with Calzaghe.....it is cool for him to turn it down for monetary reasons.

If you can't see that smacks of double standards, then you've been sniffing too many Mundine jockstraps.
the Arge did not have to take fight OZ, no one made him do it.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 03:46 AM   #7
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barge FTA
I went to the fight also Barge....I thought you didnt like Mundine?

The night was good but some fights on the under card were off.

Good venue for a fight....Mundines enterance was tipical....no fire works this time.....
ashley is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 03:53 AM   #8
Lead Right
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Geez you are pathetic Oz. Grow up.
Lead Right is offline  Top
Old 06-30-2007, 03:57 AM   #9
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lead Right
Geez you are pathetic Oz. Grow up.
In rides Sir Gay Gav-ahad on his white horse to protect Mundine
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2007, 10:21 PM   #10
jb1
REFLECTION OF PERFECTION
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
In rides Sir Gay Gav-ahad on his white horse to protect Mundine
more like sir ass fist of mundinetown just south of nutthuggerville
jb1 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 01:16 AM   #11
percy davo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Oz mate I am realy getting worried about you what is it with this fasination of Mundine you have?

One post is more then enough to let people know you dont like him.

Seriously mate no disrespect but I am getting tired of getting on here and hearing the same old shit from you.
percy davo is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 01:52 AM   #12
jb1
REFLECTION OF PERFECTION
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by percy davo
Oz mate I am realy getting worried about you what is it with this fasination of Mundine you have?

One post is more then enough to let people know you dont like him.

Seriously mate no disrespect but I am getting tired of getting on here and hearing the same old shit from you.
as we are getting tired of nuthuggers making bullshit claims about mundine it all balances out bitch
jb1 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 AM   #13
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb1
as we are getting tired of nuthuggers making bullshit claims about mundine it all balances out bitch
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 11:42 PM   #14
percy davo
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Bitch and nuthugger why do you call me that where have I nuthugged here all I am saying is that I am sick of hearing the same old shit.
Lets talk about something real here come on Oz you sound like you have good knwoledge dont waste it preaching the same thing over and over.

me a ****ing bitch yea right.
percy davo is offline  Top
Old 07-03-2007, 11:50 PM   #15
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

sir gay gavahad
stiflers mum is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum