Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 06-20-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Too soon to judge Ward.

Everyone seems to be getting carried away with this guy.

Even before the fight last night people were ranking him top dog in the SM's.

THe only reason I can see for this is if people thought Kessler was 'the man' (which argubly he was) when Ward beat him.

I just don't see that you beat Green and suddenly you're the best out there. He has one Elite name on his record, and I think it was a poor version of Kessler that night. Who else has he fought?

I'm not saying that Ward won't turn out to be the best, he may well do.

But far too early to start proclaiming he's the best. If Dirrell then beats him what does that make Dirrell and in turn what does that make Froch.

Styles make fights Gents.

Discuss.
Will is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 11:57 AM   #2
Mandanda
SkillspayBills
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Too soon to judge Ward.

True but it's the way you deal with Business at hand as well. He dealt with Kessler with ease and Green he looked like a vet in there. Miranda he beat with a sound plan. He showing so many facets to his game. Dirrell will no doubt present problems but his heart is questionable and we could also say he's been made to look good as well because of his two opponents being pressure fighters with certain limitations.
Mandanda is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:00 PM   #3
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

he has to be ranked number 1 at super middle. he beat the previous number 1 and has another win over a top 10 guy, without a loss.

i was saying long before the super 6 was announced this guy would be a star of the future since i read a book about fighters and it featured andre ward.

the reason people were so impressed by Ward last night was because he showed a completely new aspect to his game. we know that he can out box guys and out fight them, he is the total package.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by robpalmer135 View Post
he has to be ranked number 1 at super middle. he beat the previous number 1 and has another win over a top 10 guy, without a loss.

i was saying long before the super 6 was announced this guy would be a star of the future since i read a book about fighters and it featured andre ward.

the reason people were so impressed by Ward last night was because he showed a completely new aspect to his game. we know that he can out box guys and out fight them, he is the total package.
Afternoon Rob,

I actually don't think he showed much different to the Kessler fight. It was just a mauling.

Pantera has been shown to be an average gate keeper at best and the guy Ward fought last night was beaten by him. Bika would have been more of a test IMO.

Styles make fights and for me we've got to see how he does against a mover like Dirrell. If he wins that convinclingly then for me he will have a claim. Do you think he would have fought like he did last night against AA. Now for me that would be an interesting fight. We may get to see it if Ward beats Dirrell.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Don't panic, no-one's saying he's better than Calzaghe yet.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
Don't panic, no-one's saying he's better than Calzaghe yet.
lol.

I have heard a few on the general.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:08 PM   #7
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

What are you on about?

He's the best because he beat arguably or very close to the best in Kessler, in convincing fashion.

Same again last night, he beat a solid opponent put infront of him with absoute ease.

It's not just about wins, its about recognizing something obvious that this guy is a chameleon in the ring and is dominating good fighters. Nobody else is even performing close to this level.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:09 PM   #8
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
lol.

I have heard a few on the general.
I agree with your general sentiment, but people on here are always too reactionist so I wouldn't worry about it. Ward looks a very talented guy, I think he'll win the tournament. Let's hope Bute's still around when this thing finally comes to an end.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:15 PM   #9
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Froch has looked absolutely terrible in every fight at the world class level in my opinion. I've never watched him and thought he's looked good, and he wound up losing his last fight deservedly.

Dirrell has only shown talent in fits and spurts. Whether he's as talented as Ward is debateable, I don't think he is because he's not got the dimensions Ward has he just fights with athleticism and hopes it works, but its an argument, what can't be debated is he hasn't put it all together and earned a convincing win and his mentality is definitely not on par with Ward. Ward has a smart game plan, if it doesn't work or something else works better he uses that. Dirrell's doing all this stuff like jumping to the canvas and bitching to the ref to try and cover up holes in his armoury when people get close to him.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:18 PM   #10
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Froch has looked absolutely terrible in every fight at the world class level in my opinion. I've never watched him and thought he's looked good, and he wound up losing his last fight deservedly.

Dirrell has only shown talent in fits and spurts. Whether he's as talented as Ward is debateable, I don't think he is because he's not got the dimensions Ward has he just fights with athleticism and hopes it works, but its an argument, what can't be debated is he hasn't put it all together and earned a convincing win and his mentality is definitely not on par with Ward. Ward has a smart game plan, if it doesn't work or something else works better he uses that. Dirrell's doing all this stuff like jumping to the canvas and bitching to the ref to try and cover up holes in his armoury when people get close to him.
I know some people get upset about this, but Dirrell faked against AA and nothing will convince me otherwise. I really hope he gets sparked for real in his next fight, if for nothing other than having a gay, 80s AIDS victim moustache.
dan-b is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:21 PM   #11
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by dan-b View Post
I know some people get upset about this, but Dirrell faked against AA and nothing will convince me otherwise. I really hope he gets sparked for real in his next fight, if for nothing other than having a gay, 80s AIDS victim moustache.

I can't really decide whether he faked it. I was sure he didn't but I can see peoples argument the more I watch it. I just really don't know so I'm not going to hold that against him, but he definitely needs to put on a complete winning performance before he's any sort of position to be talked about as the best.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:23 PM   #12
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I agree that Ward looks like he has big potential. But you have to rank guys on calibre of wins. If he beats Dirrell then he will definately have a claim to the numero uno.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:

I can't really decide whether he faked it. I was sure he didn't but I can see peoples argument the more I watch it. I just really don't know so I'm not going to hold that against him, but he definitely needs to put on a complete winning performance before he's any sort of position to be talked about as the best.
It was strange to say the least and his corner team did a horrendous job letting him talk to the media because it just made the whole thing bizarre.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #14
Beeston Brawler
Comical Ali-egedly
East Side VIP

If you watch the previews on Primetime the promoters are sat round a table and Gary Shaw threatens to pull Dirrell out of the tourney if there are any further mentions of it being a controversy.

If it wasn't a controversy, then what the hell was it?

Beeston Brawler is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 12:28 PM   #15
dan-b
Belt holder
ESB Addict

He faked it. Look at his reaction. It was an arm punch, he thought about complaining then suddenly realised what he could do and started twitching on the canvas.
dan-b is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum