TFFP is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-2010, 05:29 PM   #32
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500
Default Re: Too soon to judge Ward.

TFFP, you're 100% right, but Froch seems to have a knack of making guys fight down to his level. But I'll need to see how Froch does against Abraham to see if he's actually learnt anything from his appalling performances post-Pascal.

I'm unsure of Dirrell. Ward isn't the aggressor, but Dirrell's more or less a backwards sprinter. Between the two of them, I think Ward's punches will be sharper but not much will be landed either side.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 05:31 PM   #33
TFFP
The Eskimo
East Side VIP

vCash: 2500

Froch can't fight on the inside for the life of him by the way. Have you ever seen him throw a short, compact punch? He can't.
TFFP is offline  Top
Old 06-20-2010, 05:38 PM   #34
dftaylor
Writer, fanatic
East Side VIP

vCash: 500

Again you're right, but he can be effective. He roughs his guy up and catches them as they pull away. But he is crap and I had Kessler beating him comfortably.
dftaylor is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 08:50 AM   #35
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by TFFP View Post
Froch can't fight on the inside for the life of him by the way. Have you ever seen him throw a short, compact punch? He can't.
I think the AA fight will teach us a lot about Froch. I would agree though that he hasn't been great since the Pascal fight.

He had his moments in the Taylor fight.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 09:50 AM   #36
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Ward will win the Super Six (Barring Abraham making some stylistic tweaks I don't think he can) and then go up to face the top man out of Dawson/Cloud/Pascal (Dawson IMO, though Cloud looks to have some very good attributes)

Ward=The truth. It's not who he's beaten bu the manner in which he's achieved it. 'Schooling' someone when not running for 12 rounds is an encouraging thing to see.

Despite his 'Son of God' baloney irking me some what, I'm on the Ward bandwagon. Looks to be multi-faceted, which is what I like in a fighter.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 12:00 PM   #37
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flea Man View Post
Ward will win the Super Six (Barring Abraham making some stylistic tweaks I don't think he can) and then go up to face the top man out of Dawson/Cloud/Pascal (Dawson IMO, though Cloud looks to have some very good attributes)

Ward=The truth. It's not who he's beaten bu the manner in which he's achieved it. 'Schooling' someone when not running for 12 rounds is an encouraging thing to see.

Despite his 'Son of God' baloney irking me some what, I'm on the Ward bandwagon. Looks to be multi-faceted, which is what I like in a fighter.
I think Ward vs Froch would be an interesting match. It would be interesting to see what style he opts to use against the Cobra.

He has great skills but lacks power and I'm not too sure what his chin is made of yet.

Like I said from the start I'm reserving judgement at this stage. I certainly don't think he's unbeatable but his next fight will tell us a lot.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 12:19 PM   #38
Tony Bellew
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

He's class mate, The victories over Miranda,Kessler and Green are as impressive as anything especially seeing how Kessler has come back from that setback.. I said from the first day this tournament was announced that Ward would win this,

I said his worst match is Abraham who I think is 2nd favourite, Ward will beat Dirrell by simply making Dirrell come forward, Something he is not comfortable doing, You'll see the best of Ward if he fights Froch!! Now that'll be fireworks!!
Tony Bellew is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 12:21 PM   #39
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Bellew View Post
He's class mate, The victories over Miranda,Kessler and Green are as impressive as anything especially seeing how Kessler has come back from that setback.. I said from the first day this tournament was announced that Ward would win this,

I said his worst match is Abraham who I think is 2nd favourite, Ward will beat Dirrell by simply making Dirrell come forward, Something he is not comfortable doing, You'll see the best of Ward if he fights Froch!! Now that'll be fireworks!!
You say that about dirrell coming forward, but he did alright against AA.
I think that one will be a really interesting fight.

I also think the Froch fight will show us a different Ward as I don't think he will get away with that mauling style.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 12:36 PM   #40
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

One things for sure; snappy, accurate (at times), yes. But a 'puncher' Ward is not. Be interesting to see how he fares against an iron-chinned puncher who doesn't bullshit around.

Froch is too crummy in most departments to test Ward IMO (or to get through Arthur, where I predict he'll get taken out as soon as he engages or throws one of his ludicrous uppercuts, that start at the ankle and end in the rafters)
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 12:39 PM   #41
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
One things for sure; snappy, accurate (at times), yes. But a 'puncher' Ward is not. Be interesting to see how he fares against an iron-chinned puncher who doesn't bullshit around.

Froch is too crummy in most departments to test Ward IMO (or to get through Arthur, where I predict he'll get taken out as soon as he engages or throws one of his ludicrous uppercuts, that start at the ankle and end in the rafters)
It was alright when Hamed did it!!!

In all seriousness if the same Froch that turned up in his last three fights turns up I think he will get beat. I'm just hoping the Kessler loss will get his shrp for next time out.

I'm not so worried about AA, I think Froch is the sollution to his puzzle.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 12:59 PM   #42
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Will View Post
It was alright when Hamed did it!!!

In all seriousness if the same Froch that turned up in his last three fights turns up I think he will get beat. I'm just hoping the Kessler loss will get his shrp for next time out.

I'm not so worried about AA, I think Froch is the sollution to his puzzle.
Nah, AA is bad stylistically for Frochy IMO. High guard, Froch isn't quick enough to take advantage of the small opening, also lacks footspeed/defensive nuances to stop him getting hit hard and often.

Hamed was quick! Frochy ain't
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 01:02 PM   #43
Will
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Nah, AA is bad stylistically for Frochy IMO. High guard, Froch isn't quick enough to take advantage of the small opening, also lacks footspeed/defensive nuances to stop him getting hit hard and often.

Hamed was quick! Frochy ain't
Froch's footwork is quicker than AA's IMO.

Plus I think Froch will be one of the few fighters to effectively work AA to the body. Something which he doesn't like.
Will is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 01:04 PM   #44
Flea Man
มวยสากล
East Side VIP

Quote:
Froch's footwork is quicker than AA's IMO.

Plus I think Froch will be one of the few fighters to effectively work AA to the body. Something which he doesn't like.
Two things; I mean Froch isn't quick enough of foot (like Dirrell) to land his shots and get back out. I.e winning points/not getting sparked

And the way Frochy throws body shots leaves himself wide open. I can see a short Arthur hook taking Froch's bonce off when he digs those shots to the body.
Flea Man is offline  Top
Old 06-21-2010, 01:09 PM   #45
Tony Bellew
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
You say that about dirrell coming forward, but he did alright against AA.
I think that one will be a really interesting fight.

I also think the Froch fight will show us a different Ward as I don't think he will get away with that mauling style.
It's ok coming forward against a guy as predictable as AA but he'd be met with sharp counters by Ward, Believe me he'll beat Dirrell, It will be terrible to watch but he'll get the job done, Like I said it's AA I fear for Ward as Andre likes to swith off when exchanging and I firmly believe we'll see a different AA from know on, He don't like to lose him guys, He'll start pressing fights a whole lot more..
Tony Bellew is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum