Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-20-2007, 12:41 PM   #31
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75
Default Re: This is gonna be a mismatch, who is with me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotti_killer
I understand what people are saying but i just don't agree, in america that fight wouldn't have been stopped and thats the way it is. If a fighter what to continue he shoudl be allowed, if 90% of classic fights happened today in england they would be stopped and we would never have had great fight's like the rumble in the jungle etc.
Fighters have more pride than anyone else , that's what makes them fighters . There is no quit in some guys . Gomez would have wanted to keep going till Johanneson killed him . I understand the warrior mentality , I have so much respect for those in the ring who keep coming forward putting desire for success ahead of their own lives..........but if we don't protect guys like that from themselves they'll get killed or maybe end up like Gerald McClellan .

The only time you let a guy who was taking as much as Gomez was continue is if he is offering something back , he offered nothing and as such Micky Vann did his physical health a major favour .

The Rumble in the jungle was different , Ali was taking shots from Foreman but he was leaning back against those loose ropes negating a lot of the impact and lets not forget he was still competitive throughout . It might appear to many trying to remember that fight that it was very one sided but it wasn't , Ali was landing shots and he wasn't getting pounded .

As long as we have two men being competitive wars will live on , Castillo and Corrales(god rest his soul) proved this.........but you let one sided fights which are brutal go on and you get Emile Griffith v Benny 'Kid' Parret

You might not agree , but that's the way I see things .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2007, 01:14 PM   #32
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I agree with you terry, i think gomez needed to be stopped and then he might have retired.
Also in terms of gomez offering nothing back, he tried a big hook on carl after the knockdown and then as soon as carl hit him with one more good shot the ref called it. I don't think fighter's should take long sustained beatings but it's getting to soft in england.
Also do you not think corrlaes vs castillo would have been stopped alot ealier in england the way it is at the moment, in regards to the rumble in the jungle i was not saying it was the same type of fight but the way it is in england that fight would have been stopped before ali could have come back.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 01:30 PM   #33
Max Molyneux
Liverpool Liver Tickler
ESB Addict

vCash: 1241

English refs save fighters and their corners from being too stubborn.
Max Molyneux is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 01:55 PM   #34
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
Anyone watching the Fewkes v Reid fight? Man, this Foulkes guy is irritating! Running & posing, flicking punches out but not stepping in with them. As Im watching it its approaching the end of the 6th, & Jim Watt has Foulkes one up???

I dont know how you can win fights running & posing, but no doubt Fewkes will get the decision as hes the prospect with the big 0!

Remind me guys never to watch a Fewkes fight again. The guy fights with Jermain Taylors style, but even more boring!
least taylor used to have a power jab and fought good opposition and koed guys early in his career.

this guy is going to get stopped he was hurt badly hurt against tontchev by a weak right uppercut he just took it and started to stoop over...not a good sign if you cant punch and you can be hurt

he also was reeling from a watson at the end of the fight..even though watson can punch so being hurt isnt as bad as it could of been. but anyways he is boring doesnt have power doesnt slug doesnt have real boxing talent just quick hands and a big of footwork...against a fast paced fighter he will get stopped easily.
Vantage_West is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 02:09 PM   #35
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Molyneux
English refs save fighters and their corners from being too stubborn.
earl-katsidis
Old 10-20-2007, 02:15 PM   #36
rooq
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantage_West
earl-katsidis
good point...same ref / different decision.

god i hope gomez properly retires because i really hate to see him take this kind of punishment, no matter how exciting his fights are.
rooq is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 03:48 PM   #37
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Ears
Fighters have more pride than anyone else , that's what makes them fighters . There is no quit in some guys . Gomez would have wanted to keep going till Johanneson killed him . I understand the warrior mentality , I have so much respect for those in the ring who keep coming forward putting desire for success ahead of their own lives..........but if we don't protect guys like that from themselves they'll get killed or maybe end up like Gerald McClellan .

The only time you let a guy who was taking as much as Gomez was continue is if he is offering something back , he offered nothing and as such Micky Vann did his physical health a major favour .

The Rumble in the jungle was different , Ali was taking shots from Foreman but he was leaning back against those loose ropes negating a lot of the impact and lets not forget he was still competitive throughout . It might appear to many trying to remember that fight that it was very one sided but it wasn't , Ali was landing shots and he wasn't getting pounded .

As long as we have two men being competitive wars will live on , Castillo and Corrales(god rest his soul) proved this.........but you let one sided fights which are brutal go on and you get Emile Griffith v Benny 'Kid' Parret

You might not agree , but that's the way I see things .
yeah the ali foreman fight was far closer than people say...it didnt look like he was going to win (by ko at least) but he wasnt hurt and was laucnhing 5 hit combo's when george let off the pressure it was a big upset and a comeback but it wasnt like it was an accident ali totally said before the fight he had never heard goerge foreman and 10 rounds in the same sentance.
h eknew he had to persevre and go on late...and thats wehat happend

also about the warrior instinct i totally agree that some men just dont have the give up in it.

great post man
Old 10-20-2007, 03:54 PM   #38
Vantage_West
ヒップホッププロデューサー
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooq
good point...same ref / different decision.

god i hope gomez properly retires because i really hate to see him take this kind of punishment, no matter how exciting his fights are.
sorry i hate stubbing somones post like that but this is why it was surprising that he stopped it ealry when gomez was only knocked down once and got up and seemed ready for him .where as earl looked like he was going to get a an ealry grave then the towel came in...then he threw it out (though earl did throw a meaty hook that dropped katsidis
Old 10-21-2007, 09:50 AM   #39
faisal
Hoolios daddy
ESB Addict

vCash: 1167

i agree with dunky i dont understand how any of you guys were tipping gomez to upset carl, gomez was such a bastard till the build up to the fight,
faisal is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 11:08 AM   #40
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by faisal
i agree with dunky i dont understand how any of you guys were tipping gomez to upset carl
1) Johanneson smashed to bits 2 months ago
2) No longer training with his trainer(s), personal problems had led him to allegedly train with amateurs. Frank Maloney comes on board with little recent experience.
3) Gomez' training had been going amazingly. Off the beer, in the gym constantly.
4) Gomez had done it before, Arthur being obvious case in point.

To be fair, I think the fight came too soon in the comeback for Mike, he bossed the first two rounds, I believe he was winning the first 30 - 60 seconds of the proceeding rounds too, but ultimately he couldnt pull through. It was too good a chance to pass up, and who knows, we might see him fight for the title again at some point.

Incidentally he isn't retiring.

Last edited by dmt; 08-12-2006 at 05:40 AM.
The Lads is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum