boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 07-01-2010, 01:43 PM   #1
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Can the fall save a ****ty year of matchmaking?

So far, 2010 has been pretty lousy in terms of big fights. Pac/Clottey and Mayweather/Mosley proved to be anti-climatic as everyone wants the real thing, and there have been a handful of other painful postponements.

So, what needs to happen the second half of the year to redeem it?

1. Mayweather/Pacquiao, though I don't think it's a great fight, will be an event to justify all others. This fight has to happen, just to get it over with.

2. Competitive bouts between Froch/Abraham and Ward/Dirrell in the Super 6. Anything with Green in it is a waste of time.

3. Dawson/Pascal needs to be as good a s**** as I think it will.

4. Something meaningful needs to happen with Bute and Pavlik, and someone needs to step up and fight Sergio Martinez.

5. The various young contenders need to fight tougher opponents. Gamboa/Cabellero would have been great, or Khan/Maidana.

Just a few ideas. What else?
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 02:17 PM   #2
GeorgeJ
Puncher is born not made
ESB Jr Member

Default Re: Can the fall save a ****ty year of matchmaking?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lampley View Post
So far, 2010 has been pretty lousy in terms of big fights. Pac/Clottey and Mayweather/Mosley proved to be anti-climatic as everyone wants the real thing, and there have been a handful of other painful postponements.

So, what needs to happen the second half of the year to redeem it?

1. Mayweather/Pacquiao, though I don't think it's a great fight, will be an event to justify all others. This fight has to happen, just to get it over with.

2. Competitive bouts between Froch/Abraham and Ward/Dirrell in the Super 6. Anything with Green in it is a waste of time.

3. Dawson/Pascal needs to be as good a s**** as I think it will.

4. Something meaningful needs to happen with Bute and Pavlik, and someone needs to step up and fight Sergio Martinez.

5. The various young contenders need to fight tougher opponents. Gamboa/Cabellero would have been great, or Khan/Maidana.

Just a few ideas. What else?

I hope these fights save the rest of the year, look at what ****ty fights they atre talking about..

Casamayor vs Guerrero, Ortiz vs Vivian Harris, Barrera vs Soto, Spadafora vs Morales....see anything in common here? recycled fighters....
GeorgeJ is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 02:21 PM   #3
J.R.
No Mames Guey
East Side Guru

vCash: 107

Probably not. What an extremely lackluster year it's been.
J.R. is offline  Top
Sponsored Links

Old 07-01-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
the_brigand
I'll Eat Her Later...
ESB Addict

If not for the S6, Martinez and Adamek most of this year has been a wash.
the_brigand is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 02:56 PM   #5
sam_sunders
science
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.R. View Post
Probably not. What an extremely lackluster year it's been.

yep, worst first 6 months for a year in a while
sam_sunders is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 03:01 PM   #6
Lampley
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The worst part is that the fights that were seriously discussed are better than the ones that have happened or are scheduled:

Mayweather/Pac
Gamboa/Callallero
Khan/Maidana
Berto/Mosley
Bradley/Maidana
Darchiniyan/Donaire
Haye/Klitschko

Plus Dawson hasn't fought this year, Pavlik may fight only once, Martinez only once. There are three Saturday nights of boxing this month, but it's these matches: Lopez/Concepion, Bradley/Abreju and Marquez/Diaz PPV.

None of those three is worthy, although I'm going to buy the PPV for what is a good card overall. Still, HBO should have lots of money to schedule good fights the rest of the year.
Lampley is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #7
Montero
Left Hook from HELL!!!
East Side Guru

This year has SUCKED so far, extremely disappointing. The Arreola-Adakem fight was pretty good (saw that one live) but Marquez-Vasquez was a let down, Clottey stunk it out against Pac, May couldn't get rid of Mosley and he should have, Pavlik got beat down, Williams-Cintron sucked, Haye keeps ducking the HW champ - ugh, I could go on and on here...

I'm hoping Ward-Dirrell will be a good fight and WON'T be in California. I belive that Martinez will get some sort of meaningful bout, but probably not until late in the year (he'll only fight twice this year). If Wlad Klitschko can't get Haye to man up, I'd like to see him fight Shannon Briggs at Madison Square Garden, David Tua in Vegas or Sam Peter at Staples Center here in LA. Yes, they're all mismatches, but he'll get some "street cred" for those wins and HBO will actually televise them. Dawson-Pascal will probably be dull, but it's an important bout and just may turn into somethign exciting if Pascal can lure Dawson into a real fight.

There's hope, but for me it's fading fast.
Montero is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 03:05 PM   #8
jeffjoiner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 5174

It seems to me like boxing just took the World Cup month off and didn't even try to compete for an audience. Add in the little break during the Olympics (like anybody watches slap boxing) and it's been a slow year. I know tv revenue dictates everything, but this year has been ridiculous.
jeffjoiner is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffjoiner View Post
It seems to me like boxing just took the World Cup month off and didn't even try to compete for an audience. Add in the little break during the Olympics (like anybody watches slap boxing) and it's been a slow year. I know tv revenue dictates everything, but this year has been ridiculous.
Exactly, we had a lousy start with almost no boxing in the winter months...then a huge stretch of meaningful fights in the spring and almost nothing again in the summer. The problem is that most of those HBO Spring fights weren't that great, some decent stuff but no great fights. The two marquee PPVs also were lacklsuter.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 03:15 PM   #10
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

The biggest problem...BY FAR...is the inactivity of fighters. Instead of the promoters *****ing and whining about HBO/Showtime TV slots, they should you know...PROMOTE fights. Geez.

It would be funny if HBO and Showtime give up on boxing, it would be better for the sport. Look at Berto, what a pampered phony champion, whose best accomplishment was losing to Collazo, is getting the royal treatment from HBO.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 03:26 PM   #11
greatone
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post
The biggest problem...BY FAR...is the inactivity of fighters. Instead of the promoters *****ing and whining about HBO/Showtime TV slots, they should you know...PROMOTE fights. Geez.

It would be funny if HBO and Showtime give up on boxing, it would be better for the sport. Look at Berto, what a pampered phony champion, whose best accomplishment was losing to Collazo, is getting the royal treatment from HBO.
you ain't lyin about that sir.
greatone is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 03:58 PM   #12
dubLshot
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Juanma and Concepcion is gonna be v.good and Nonito is a pleasure to watch even if he is just t-ing off on someone.
dubLshot is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 04:00 PM   #13
dubLshot
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

maybe this ain't classic stuff, but AT LEAST it's free on Showtime!
dubLshot is offline  Top
Old 07-01-2010, 05:47 PM   #14
jdubyah15
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 370

Juanma vs. Marquez should be entertaining as well as the rumored Rojas vs. Gamboa fight.
jdubyah15 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum