Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 10-20-2007, 07:58 AM   #1
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Short personal summary of yesterday's fight

event in Germany's capital Berlin.

Old Italian geezer Silvio Branco(56-9-2) won a techical decision in round 9 against teak tough Brasilian Venancio(46-10) after the Italian had suffered a cut.
Branco came up against stiff resistance against his Brasilian foe who didnt enter the ring just to collect a paycheck.Nevertheless up the point when the fight was stopped Branco had been the busier fighter collecting points after points.Most of the time the Braslian got the short end of the stick in their exchanges of punches.Very decent performance by the old Italian vet.
I was quite impressed with his stamina.He is still a fighter worthy of the steel of a lot of his fellow boxers of the lower end of the top elite.I am positive that Branco can still make the water quite hot for some better ranked fighters of his weight division.

Yuriokis Gamboa(6-0) took out his Somalian foe Kebede(25-1) in round 2 of their encounter.Flawless performance by Gamboa! It was a true feast for the eyes! Gamboa looked like a future champ! After just a few seconds it was totally obvious that Kebede wouldnt reach the regular end of their scheduled fight.Gamboa played in a different league! Within the first minute Gamboa had connected with that many powerful shots that you could sense that Kebede didnt have any intention to mix it up with the Cuban anymore.The decent Swedish based Somalian was outclassed,outgunned,and outboxed by one of the best present fighters the lower weight divisions.
To tell the truth I have become a fan of the Cuban! Great fighter,likeable human being,fan friendly,easygoing and open!
However,his promoter shoud advise him to get rid of that tons of gold hanging around his neck making him look like one of those black American gangster clowns you can watch on tv.
Gamboa's fights are pure fun to watch.He is the one who deserves media attention and huge crowds.A master inside the ring!
His compatriot Solis looked -like all heavyweights-like a clumsy butcher compared with highly skilled Gamboa.

Domenico Spada(24-1) koeyed his Turkish opponent Alpan Aguzum(34-4) in the very first round of their fight.
Haha! It was my personal highlight of yesterday's fight card.
I strongly dislike both Aguzum and his arrogant promoter Oener!
Aguzum was storming out of his corner towards Spada like a bloody fool trying to impress both his Italian foe and the audience with his skills.A very short tempest in a teapot it was indeed!
To carry off the prize he even tried to toy with Spada.Stupid mistake! The prompt reply followed after about 30 seconds.Aguzum found himself lying in the ring dust.The Turk was able to continue figthing but after about 20 seconds was again down .After the third knockdown the ref stopped their fight.Aguzum found his match!
I dont think that his arrogant attitude towards an foe will ever change!
Anyway! I for my part truly enjoyed watching him schooled by Spada who was hauling him over the coals as if he were a bloody beginner who just had his pro debut!
By the way when I left the arena I came across Spada. I couldnt help myself but had to congratulate him on his excellent performance against Aguzum.He made a telling statement! Oral will be in hot water in his rematch against Spada!

Samil Sam (28-4) won a very boring and lame fight against journeyman Ivica Perkovic(15- from Croatia.Sam had to go the full route with that limited journeyman showing a horrible performance.
I was horrified when I watched Sam entering the arena.His belly was even bigger than Perkovic's one.
Perkovic won the first round landing some good shots on his totally apathetic foe.
In the course of the following rounds Sam did just enough to win most of the rounds within giving the impression to be in command of the fight.
I was bored silly watching it.Anyway! Perkovic was quite competitive and could hold his own against the Turk.
A cat in gloves catches no mice,and Sam seemed to be a bit gun-shy.
Sam was in a very bad shape,and I have never seen him more predictable than in yesterday's fight.At the end of his encounter with Perkovic the Turk even had to take some good shots from his foe.
I guess that Sam's career is over! He doesnt seem to have the drive and desire anymore to climb up the ladder again.He looked like a an old and shot vet of the game against an opponent who had been stopped by Taras Bidenko in six rounds.And as we all know Bidenko isnt the most dangerous banger out there.

German heavy weight hope Steffen Kretschman (10-0) disappointed me a lot in his encounter with huge American behemoth Corey Sanders(24-10).
Though he won almost all rounds of that fight he showed a very alarming lack of aggressiveness against an opponent who didnt more that just stand in the middle of the ring and take punch and punch.
Very lame fight! Kretschman wont go far IMO. He is a stiff and one-dimensional young fighter who can beat the likes of Corey Sanders ,but who will be at his wit's end against better and more mobile opponents.
Bidenko would teach him a lesson in boxing IMO.

Rising Cuban heavy weight star Odlanier Solis gave his American opponent Jeremy Bates(21-5) short shrift taking him out in round 2 of their encounter.
Solis landed his shots at will.Bates was out of his shoes against Solis and took a brutal beating in the first round.It was just a matter of time when the fight would be stopped.Luckily,the ref stopped it after Bates had again taken some good shots.
I dont mind Solis having an easy fight from time to time as he has been matched bloody toughly so far.However,he desperately needs some rounds.
Solis seems to be a ****y fellow beaming with self-confidence,but my gut feeling somehow tells me that he needs a kind of reality check.
There are better fighters out there than Bates,and one day he will have to go the full route of 10 or 12 rounds.Though he didnt look as fat as he looked as the beginning of his pro career I somehow doubt that he would be a battle over 12 rounds where stamina could be the decisive factor.
Well,I am not looking for the famous fly in the ointment!
Solis performed well,and he did what he supposed to do:take out Bates in as short a time as possible.

Cuban big mouth Juan Carlos Gomez(42-1) showed a strong performance against American vet Oliver McCall(51- teaching him a lesson in boxing for the first couple of rounds.
McCall surely had the edge in firepower,but he had to take so many good shots in the first 8 rounds of his encounter with Gomez that he needed a ko to win that fight.I for my part gave Gomez the first 8 rounds.
However,Gomez ran a bit out of gas,and from round 9 on watching the fight was like being on an emotional rollercoaster.Gomez had his graveyard slot in round 10.McCall stunned and hurt him.However,despited being under heavy fire he hold the fort and didnt go down.His numerous Cuban fans went beserk shouting Cuba,Cuba,Cuba as if their little island had to be defended against an American invasion.
Gomez survived the 10th rounds,and McCall wasnt able to turn the tables in the last two remaining rounds.Good and entertaining fight!
McCall proved that he can still take some good punches,but he is no match for any top 10 fighter.
Gomez has all the tools to be be a great fighter,but his stamina always lets him down.He 'd better keep his nose to the grindstone or he'll be in for a very negative surprise against a younger opponent who can put more pressure on him than the old American vet!

All in all a very interesting fight event with some very intriguing fights in a very lousy arena!
The arena was sold out,but the audience was not a very desirable one!
Spada's huge clan feverisly supported his man against Aguzum,and the numerous Cubans went nuts waiving the flags and shouting Cuba throughout the entire fights of their compatriots,but apart from those two ethnic groups the Germans and Turks hardly supported their boys.
The atmosphere was rather sterile and lifeless in that dull arena.
Most of the people there were not really interested in boxing but in showboating and showing off their new collection of jewels,their girls,or their importance to each other.What a bunch a lame spectators!
Odo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2007, 10:34 AM   #2
kostya by ko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Short personal summary of yesterday's fight

Good reading/info. Cheers !
kostya by ko is online now  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 11:00 AM   #3
Toney
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by kostya by ko
Good reading/info. Cheers !
Yeah, thanks! I saw 2 fights of the card. A good boxing card!
Toney is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 04:36 PM   #4
Langford
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Thoughts on Gomez v. McCall.

I have to agree with you on your summary, Odo. I thought the fight was exactly what I thought it was going to be for the first 8 rounds. McCall looking slow, Gomez giving little combos when he wanted too, but McCall in no danger.
Lots of holding, ref yelling at either guy to stop with the holding every minute and a a half.

The tenth round had McCall really awakening some. It was easily the best round of the fight, as Gomez always seems to me to be kind of a pompous ass and the thought of McCall taking him out has got to make me smile some.

I didn't think that McCall had landed enough thoughout the fight to make Gomez's face swell up, but from the looks of things, if the verdict was given on how badly someone looked physically after the fight, Gomez would have been the loser.

Which means McCall has still got power. The tenth was easily his best round.
I thought the eleventh was the best round for Gomez, since he did what he had to do and came out and showed he was still in control of the fight.

I do not think McCall is "finished" but I would certainly be surprised if he beat anyone in the top 15 again. Gomez did not really impress me. He just seems so lazy so much of the time. When he wants to put things together he does it, sometimes I think he just doesn't want to extend the effort.

In any case, McCall did land enough shots on him to make Gomez have to fight a little to earn the decision. For most of the first few rounds, it was dull. However, the tenth round and bits and pieces of other rounds were pretty good. A descent and necessary fight at heavyweight. Gomez moves up, McCall moves down (unless the drug test comes back against Gomez again)

With Holyfield, McCall losing this month. Things do not hold up well for Byrd next week. With few new fighters to take their place, the old US guard seems to be just about changed.
Langford is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 04:57 PM   #5
RossTheBoss
---
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1183

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
The atmosphere was rather sterile and lifeless in that dull arena.
Most of the people there were not really interested in boxing but in showboating and showing off their new collection of jewels,their girls,or their importance to each other.What a bunch a lame spectators!
yeah, I was wondering about that. Most of the imbeciles there yesterday did not even watch the fights... absolutely pathetic crowd
RossTheBoss is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 06:01 PM   #6
Luigi1985
Cane Corso
ESB Addict

Very good post, Odo!
Luigi1985 is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 06:54 AM   #7
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langford
Thoughts on Gomez v. McCall.

I have to agree with you on your summary, Odo. I thought the fight was exactly what I thought it was going to be for the first 8 rounds. McCall looking slow, Gomez giving little combos when he wanted too, but McCall in no danger.
Lots of holding, ref yelling at either guy to stop with the holding every minute and a a half.

The tenth round had McCall really awakening some. It was easily the best round of the fight, as Gomez always seems to me to be kind of a pompous ass and the thought of McCall taking him out has got to make me smile some.

I didn't think that McCall had landed enough thoughout the fight to make Gomez's face swell up, but from the looks of things, if the verdict was given on how badly someone looked physically after the fight, Gomez would have been the loser.

Which means McCall has still got power. The tenth was easily his best round.
I thought the eleventh was the best round for Gomez, since he did what he had to do and came out and showed he was still in control of the fight.

I do not think McCall is "finished" but I would certainly be surprised if he beat anyone in the top 15 again. Gomez did not really impress me. He just seems so lazy so much of the time. When he wants to put things together he does it, sometimes I think he just doesn't want to extend the effort.

In any case, McCall did land enough shots on him to make Gomez have to fight a little to earn the decision. For most of the first few rounds, it was dull. However, the tenth round and bits and pieces of other rounds were pretty good. A descent and necessary fight at heavyweight. Gomez moves up, McCall moves down (unless the drug test comes back against Gomez again)

With Holyfield, McCall losing this month. Things do not hold up well for Byrd next week. With few new fighters to take their place, the old US guard seems to be just about changed.
McCall proved that his chin was excellent and that he had the edge in firepower,but apart from that it was Gomez's night.
I was quite impressed how easily he connected with his punches in the first 8 rounds.He was dominating every round being in complete command of the first 8 rounds.I gave every round to the Cuban up to the 9th round.
Gomez can be hurt and knocked out.Thats for sure.However,you really need a big banger or a lucky punch in order to deliver such a ko.
I wouldnt recommend Gomez to face one of the Klitschko brothers,,or Virchis within the next 2-3 fights,but I would give him a good shot against Maskaev,Chagaev,or Sultan Ibragimov.Come to think of it he would probably also beat Sam Peter!
Odo is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 12:36 PM   #8
ChrisPontius
March 8th, 1971
East Side Guru

vCash: 238

Great report Odo.

Can you tell a little more about Gamboa? I have never heard of him. Did he have a big amature career? What is his style? Could he possibly fight at lightweight in the future?

About Kretschman, i haven't seen him either. Was it just lack of agressiveness or was he also ponderous, or technically inept?

Thanks.
ChrisPontius is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 12:55 PM   #9
Tom_Tocca
The Provider
ESB Addict

by the way, here's a picture of myself and a collegue at the very beginning of the fightcard...
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Tom_Tocca is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 01:04 PM   #10
NBT
Mοderator of Death
ESB Senior Member

Yeah, Gamboa was a very successful amateur. Olymic Gold medalist 2004 at Flyweight where he beat very decent competition: the Thai World Champion who beat him at the World Champiponships 2003, Russian Georgi Balakshin, Rustam Rachimow(3rd at WCs 2005), Russian-Bulgarian Alexey Shaidulin (2nd at WCs 2005) and French Jerome Thomas (Olympic Bronze Medalist 2000 , Silver Medalist 2004, 1st WC 2001, 2nd WC 2003). And Gamboa was 3rd at the WCs 2003 where he lost the Semifinal to Thomas because of a cut. As a pro he looked VERY impressive fighting bums until now. But he often has his hands down and solely relies on his reflexes to avoid punches, he is open to counterpunches. He gets away with it against journeymen but when he steps it up he has to adjust his style.

Yeah, Kretschmann just lacked aggressiveness. Kretschmann is a technical sound southpaw but since he is rumoured to be a bit chinny from his amateur days he was playing it safe, because if nothing else, Sanders can punch a bit if he lands. That's a big "If" but Kretschmann just didn't want to risk anything.
NBT is offline  Top
Old 10-26-2007, 01:26 PM   #11
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBT
Yeah, Gamboa was a very successful amateur. Olymic Gold medalist 2004 at Flyweight where he beat very decent competition: the Thai World Champion who beat him at the World Champiponships 2003, Russian Georgi Balakshin, Rustam Rachimow(3rd at WCs 2005), Russian-Bulgarian Alexey Shaidulin (2nd at WCs 2005) and French Jerome Thomas (Olympic Bronze Medalist 2000 , Silver Medalist 2004, 1st WC 2001, 2nd WC 2003). And Gamboa was 3rd at the WCs 2003 where he lost the Semifinal to Thomas because of a cut. As a pro he looked VERY impressive fighting bums until now. But he often has his hands down and solely relies on his reflexes to avoid punches, he is open to counterpunches. He gets away with it against journeymen but when he steps it up he has to adjust his style.

Yeah, Kretschmann just lacked aggressiveness. Kretschmann is a technical sound southpaw but since he is rumoured to be a bit chinny from his amateur days he was playing it safe, because if nothing else, Sanders can punch a bit if he lands. That's a big "If" but Kretschmann just didn't want to risk anything.
Sanders can bang a bit,but he seemed to be over the hill and totally shot when he fought Kretschman. I know that a pro fighter shouldnt take an unnecassry risk at this early stage of his career but Sanders didnt do more than just standing in the middle of ring taking punch after punch.
Kretschman easily outpointed his huge foe from the USA,but he should have taken into account that in order to enhance his markebility he now and then has to hand out some sugar and sweets impressing the audience with some good shots.
IMO Kretschman didnt win any new fans with his lame performance that night.
Odo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum