boxing

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2010, 02:13 AM   #1
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,935
vCash: 622
Arrow 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

It's odd that in boxing so many things can turn on a dime. If Jermain Taylor had been smart enough to take a knee in the 12th round of the Froch fight, he would have won, and there would be no Super Six.

Ken Hershman said that Showtime/Sauerland excluded Bute and Pavlik because including them would have cost to much. JT with the WBC title would be worth more than either of those guys, and HBO would have fallen all over themselves trying to get him back.

Taylor's next fight would have been on HBO. Most likely a 3rd fight with Pavlik, a rematch with Froch, or a unification fight with Bute. Without Taylor the lack of American based star power would have made the tourney a tough sell.

Carl Froch would have been a guy who won a vacant title, and lost it on the first defense.

Kessler was toiling in obscurity and struggling with promotional problems. Without the certainty of the S6, Sauerland probably would not have been able, or willing, to invest in the guy.

In this scenario there would be no Abraham/Taylor fight. AA wasn't well known to casual fans. He was just an obscure German middleweight.

Ward was barely more than a prospect.

Dirrell was just a kid with 18 fights, and no important wins.

The realization that the Super Six only happened because Jermain Taylor wasn't smart enough to take a knee is pretty wild! 14 seconds, and no tournament!

Last edited by booradley; 07-27-2010 at 04:08 PM.
booradley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:22 AM   #2
shelterr
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 944
vCash: 200
Default Re: 14 Seconds Was The Differerence Between Having And Not Having The Super Six

The redemption of Taylor really was a big selling point. Totally agree!
shelterr is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:47 AM   #3
DemolitionDan
ATG and HoF
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 8,866
vCash: 1996
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Great read Boo. Who knows where everybody would have ended up now if Froch wouldn't have made that comeback. Great read.
DemolitionDan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links


Old 06-25-2010, 02:53 AM   #4
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,935
vCash: 622
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemolitionDan View Post
Great read Boo. Who knows where everybody would have ended up now if Froch wouldn't have made that comeback. Great read.
It's just something I thought of earlier today. I had high hopes for the tourney, and while the honeymoon is over, I still think it can ultimately be very good for the sport. Without those 14 seconds, and that one dumb mistake, everything would be different.
booradley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:54 AM   #5
kriszhao
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: SLC UTAH
Posts: 2,456
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
It's odd that in boxing so many things can turn on a dime. If Jermain Taylor had been smart enough to take a knee in the 12th round of the Froch fight, he would have won, and there would be no Super Six.

Ken Hershman said that Showtime/Sauerland excluded Bute and Pavlik because including them would have cost to much. JT with the WBC title would be worth more than either of those guys, and HBO would have fallen all over themselves trying to get him back.

Taylor's next fight would have been on HBO. Most likely a 3rd fight with Pavlik, a rematch with Froch, or a unification fight with Bute. Without Taylor the lack of American based star power would have made the tourney a tough sell.

Carl Froch would have been a guy who won a vacant title, and lost it on the first defense.

Kessler was toiling in obscurity and struggling with promotional problems. Without the certainty of the S6, Sauerland probably would not have been able, or willing, to invest in the guy.

In this scenario there would be no Abraham/Taylor fight. AA wasn't well known to casual fans. He was just an obscure German middleweight.

Ward was barely more than a prospect.

Dirrell was just a kid with 18 fights, and no important wins.

The realization that the Super Six only happened because Jermain Taylor wasn't smart enough to take a knee is pretty wild! 14 seconds, and no tournament!

kriszhao is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:56 AM   #6
ripcity
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: "Somebody may beat me, but they are going to have to bleed to do it."
Posts: 10,231
vCash: 424
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by booradley View Post
It's odd that in boxing so many things can turn on a dime. If Jermain Taylor had been smart enough to take a knee in the 12th round of the Froch fight, he would have won, and there would be no Super Six.

Ken Hershman said that Showtime/Sauerland excluded Bute and Pavlik because including them would have cost to much. JT with the WBC title would be worth more than either of those guys, and HBO would have fallen all over themselves trying to get him back.

Taylor's next fight would have been on HBO. Most likely a 3rd fight with Pavlik, a rematch with Froch, or a unification fight with Bute. Without Taylor the lack of American based star power would have made the tourney a tough sell.

Carl Froch would have been a guy who won a vacant title, and lost it on the first defense.

Kessler was toiling in obscurity and struggling with promotional problems. Without the certainty of the S6, Sauerland probably would not have been able, or willing, to invest in the guy.

In this scenario there would be no Abraham/Taylor fight. AA wasn't well known to casual fans. He was just an obscure German middleweight.

Ward was barely more than a prospect.

Dirrell was just a kid with 18 fights, and no important wins.

The realization that the Super Six only happened because Jermain Taylor wasn't smart enough to take a knee is pretty wild! 14 seconds, and no tournament!
I won't argue with your point. However Taking a knee while the smart thing to do is rare. I can't think of examples where this happened.
ripcity is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:56 AM   #7
Edward
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 349
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

What you say is very true and an interesting point but not really unique. The sport lends itself to these scenarios, imagine if someone other than Steve Smoger was in charge of the Taylor and Pavlik fight. Had that fight been stopped in the second round people would have been dissatisfied but would accept that the better fighter won. What would our middleweight landscape have looked like since?
Edward is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:39 AM   #8
Tackleberry
The Reverse Somersault!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 4,327
vCash: 75
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Good point
Tackleberry is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:44 AM   #9
MancMexican
Blood & Guts Forever
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Ingerlund
Posts: 2,581
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

This is a very interesting point, but I would disagree on the ability of Taylor to take a knee. When he went down the first time he went down very hard, and was badly hurt. I think it's debatable whether he would have been capable of thinking that clearly when the next assault began. It's certainly a very interesting premise and would have potentially changed the whole landscape of boxing. And, like in the Bute-Andrade fight, the public would have demanded a rematch, which a smart fighting Taylor could have won.
MancMexican is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 04:51 AM   #10
robpalmer135
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: North London
Posts: 14,180
vCash: 75
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

When would Taylor have taken a knee becuase he got knocked down and then barley got up then was stopped.

Taylors next fight would have been with Andre Ward his mandatory if the super 6 had been made. Ward would have always beat him.
robpalmer135 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:37 AM   #11
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,935
vCash: 622
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward View Post
What you say is very true and an interesting point but not really unique. The sport lends itself to these scenarios, imagine if someone other than Steve Smoger was in charge of the Taylor and Pavlik fight. Had that fight been stopped in the second round people would have been dissatisfied but would accept that the better fighter won. What would our middleweight landscape have looked like since?
You're right. It's not unique. One can point to many different occasions where a small thing created big changes in the boxing landscape. However, S6 type tournaments could ultimately become an important part of boxing. If they do, we will be able to look back, and see that 14 seconds changed the sport forever.
booradley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 11:49 AM   #12
iceman71
WBC SILVER Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: the DIRTY SOUTH
Posts: 25,365
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ripcity View Post
I won't argue with your point. However Taking a knee while the smart thing to do is rare. I can't think of examples where this happened.
rafael ruelas was undefeated, got hammered on tuesday night fights back in the day in the 2nd round, got up quick, took a knee..3,4,5,6,7,8,9....10
he lost track of the count and got counted out ....kind of a bad example...but it was wild
iceman71 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:26 PM   #13
booradley
Mean People Kick Ass!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 19,935
vCash: 622
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

bump
booradley is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 08:33 PM   #14
Hermit
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Bumfuck, Egypt
Posts: 22,190
vCash: 1000
Default Re: 14 Seconds That Changed The Boxing World!

Interesting. But, that is one reason we like boxing, it can turn on one punch.
Hermit is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump






All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2015