Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru

vCash: 102
Default Re: Razor Ruddock '90 vs Evander Holyfield '90

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNorton804 View Post
Razor Ruddock didnt have the chin, toughness, durability or punch that Foreman had and he wasn't bigger. Holyfield couldn't stop Foreman? You say this like this is something bad. Tyson not being able to stop Razor only shows how overrated Tyson's power is to a point. Morrison stopped Razor Ruddock and alot of other top level fighters would of stopped him. Holyfield was never a huge one punch ko artist but he put his punches together well and was able to hurt people who were pretty damn durable.

Holyfield would probably stop Ruddock, but Ruddock would probably never stop Holyfield. Throwing one wild punch trying to get a knock out would never work on a prime Holyfield. He had too much skill to lose to a one dimensional fighter like Ruddock was.
Wow.
One of the few posts that actually make sense. Yeah, Holy would probably stop Rudduck, but it would be after taking a huge combination. I figure Razor doesn't have the jab, skills, or speed to give holy trouble. but he does have the size. So I figure if Rudduck DID land his "smash", Holy would take it well.
Holyfield TKO 10 Razor Rudduck
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 02:46 PM   #17
clark
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Holyfield could take anything Ruddock threw at him and would have stopped
Razor by the eighth round.
clark is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 04:10 PM   #18
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by clark View Post
Holyfield could take anything Ruddock threw at him and would have stopped
Razor by the eighth round.
I highly doubt that the beefed up cruiserweight stops a real heavyweight in Ruddock. Ruddock could take a shot and could beat Holyfield if he boxes and uses his jab. Do I think Ruddock would box and use his jab? Probably not, but I don't think Holyfield holds up to Ruddock's power and stops him by the eighth? No way. Holyfield should have stepped into the ring against Ruddock, who was avoided by many fighters in that era.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 04:15 PM   #19
round15
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KenNorton804 View Post
Razor Ruddock didnt have the chin, toughness, durability or punch that Foreman had and he wasn't bigger. Holyfield couldn't stop Foreman? You say this like this is something bad. Tyson not being able to stop Razor only shows how overrated Tyson's power is to a point. Morrison stopped Razor Ruddock and alot of other top level fighters would of stopped him. Holyfield was never a huge one punch ko artist but he put his punches together well and was able to hurt people who were pretty damn durable.

Holyfield would probably stop Ruddock, but Ruddock would probably never stop Holyfield. Throwing one wild punch trying to get a knock out would never work on a prime Holyfield. He had too much skill to lose to a one dimensional fighter like Ruddock was.
You are correct, somewhat. Throwing one wild punch trying to knock out a prime Holyfield wouldn't work. He's too good a counterpuncher.

Ruddock lost to Morrison because his asthma gave him serious breathing problems and the vasectomy reversal didn't help. He was not prime against Morrison either.

I think you also grossly underrate Tyson's power and Ruddock's toughness. The man fought Tyson with a broken jaw and finished the fight? What kind of toughness are you talking about? If Riddick Bowe, Michael Moorer, Bert Cooper, and a much slower George Foreman could hurt Holyfield, there's absolutely no reason to not believe Ruddock couldn't hurt him too.
round15 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 04:30 PM   #20
DamonD
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Holyfield outworks him for the UD, albeit with a view rocky moments along the way.
DamonD is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 08:21 PM   #21
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by round15 View Post
I believe Holyfield has a difficult time holding up to Ruddock's power and he's not going to knock Razor out. Evander likely counterpunches his way to a UD win, but gets KO'ed himself if he stands and trades with Ruddock.

If Razor fights smartly, uses the ring and the neglected jab that got him his nickname, he could beat up Holyfield just like Lewis did the first time, if not worse. Discipline is the key here, and Razor likely reverts to his undisciplined self, loading up on the smash while Evander counters him round after round after round.
Holyfield had serious whiskers himself, round15. And he was twice the technician that Razor ever was. I would not be too concerned about Ruddock's power. He telegraphed, threw wide arcs, and was careless with his defense. That's fodder for the counterpunching Commander.

We may disagree on whether Holyfield has the guns to stop Ruddock. I say that he does. He dropped Mercer, king kong jaw and all, he had Bowe on Queer Street with one hook, he nailed Tyson who was a far better technical fighter than Razor and after he did, Tyson had amnesia for the next 8 rounds.

Holyfield had the guns.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 08:25 PM   #22
les
boxerman
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

holyfield hard earned decision
les is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 04:43 AM   #23
Sangria
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Ruddock is a serious threat to beat Holyfield in 1990.
Sangria is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #24
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Well Ruddock was eating punches against Tyson like it was going out of fashion, Tyson is a different level of puncher than Holy. No way does Holyfield stop Ruddock save fluke punch, real fluke punch. I see Ruddock being very dangerous to Holy in 1990.
Valane is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 06:22 AM   #25
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Ruddock was stoppable.
He had a lot of heart but he could be hit and hurt, and hit some more.
Tyson was sloppy as hell when he had Ruddock hurt.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 09:28 AM   #26
downgoesfrazier

vCash:

"a war" lmao any version of evander would rape this average/bum fighter, this guy is overrated like the hell just like uster douglas, every rival who was competent against tyson is considered good for the tyson fanboys. evander holyfield exposed buster douglas(who destroyed to tyson) and evander holyfield would expose ruddock(who was competent against tyson)
Old 05-09-2011, 09:31 AM   #27
downgoesfrazier

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valane View Post
Well Ruddock was eating punches against Tyson like it was going out of fashion, Tyson is a different level of puncher than Holy. No way does Holyfield stop Ruddock save fluke punch, real fluke punch. I see Ruddock being very dangerous to Holy in 1990.
yes, joe frazier,cooney,norton,lyle,morrison all them were harder punchers than ali but only ali could knock out foreman, right? it is not only about hitting power, holyfield destroyed buster douglas and tyson could not stop douglas, evander holyfield would stop ruddock with combinations any day of the week.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:46 AM   #28
Valane
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by downgoesfrazier View Post
yes, joe frazier,cooney,norton,lyle,morrison all them were harder punchers than ali but only ali could knock out foreman, right? it is not only about hitting power, holyfield destroyed buster douglas and tyson could not stop douglas, evander holyfield would stop ruddock with combinations any day of the week.

Foreman was gassed. Douglas v Holy was a shamefull quit job. I just think Ruddock can take what Holy can dish out more often than not. Ruddock was open though, so accumulation is possible. Holy had a propensity to trade around that time which makes the fight interesting.
Valane is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 10:06 AM   #29
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valane View Post
Foreman was gassed. Douglas v Holy was a shamefull quit job. I just think Ruddock can take what Holy can dish out more often than not. Ruddock was open though, so accumulation is possible. Holy had a propensity to trade around that time which makes the fight interesting.
Yeah I lean more towards this in 1990. I think Ruddock would have a serious chance here, but if I was picking it would probably be Holy by decision maybe coming off the deck. Holyfield wanted no part of Razor Ruddock around this time anyway.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Old 05-09-2011, 10:36 AM   #30
downgoesfrazier

vCash:

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
Yeah I lean more towards this in 1990. I think Ruddock would have a serious chance here, but if I was picking it would probably be Holy by decision maybe coming off the deck. Holyfield wanted no part of Razor Ruddock around this time anyway.
yes just like tyson wanted no part of foreman.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum