Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-28-2007, 12:24 AM   #1
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Mundine-Nieves

Havent got much to say on the fight itself, everything has been said and argued to death.
I will only say that Nieves suprised me, he was more durable and capable than I think all of us expected and I wouldnt mind seeing him back hear against our lower calibre supermiddle-light heavies.

But I will say something about the fight as a spectacle and promotion.
Nieves was chosen for one purpose and one purpose only, so Choc could have an impressive win.
Nieves was meant to lie down & get smashed like a good little boy and Mundine was to look good doing it.

Nieves was not brought over so Choc could have some rounds, he was not brought over so Choc could have some experience against a taller opponant, he was not brought over because he had a "name", he was not brought over so Choc could showcase his skills over 12 rounds to his fans, he was not brought over because Mundine wanted exposure in the very profitable South American market.
Nieves was brought over to loose, and spectacularly.

And I for one am a little glad it backfired, it may well teach Khoder & Mundine to have a little more respect for his fans. Probably not but in all honestly I think Choc could have looked better against Danilo Haussler or Alan Green, two guys with a shit load more pedigree & reputation than Nieves.

Whether or not it was a good performance, or Nieves was a worthy foe, there was a goal (of course it was secondary to winning) that Khoder & Choc wanted to achieve last night and it was not met.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 12:26 AM   #2
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Awesome post once again. Couldn't have summed it up better
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:27 AM   #3
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Bulldogs v Titans 2013 GF
Posts: 7,740
vCash: 2611
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Cool and I agree.

I did not see the fight and Im not even sure i will download but i liked your post.
teke is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #4
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 5,934
vCash: 75
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Put it this way, Les Sherrington is keen as mustard to face Neivas next. The Argie had a lot of heart and gave it his all. Still he was NOT a world class opponent and had no right to be involved in a world title fight. FACT.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:29 AM   #5
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
Havent got much to say on the fight itself, everything has been said and argued to death.
I will only say that Nieves suprised me, he was more durable and capable than I think all of us expected and I wouldnt mind seeing him back hear against our lower calibre supermiddle-light heavies.

But I will say something about the fight as a spectacle and promotion.
Nieves was chosen for one purpose and one purpose only, so Choc could have an impressive win.
Nieves was meant to lie down & get smashed like a good little boy and Mundine was to look good doing it.

Nieves was not brought over so Choc could have some rounds, he was not brought over so Choc could have some experience against a taller opponant, he was not brought over because he had a "name", he was not brought over so Choc could showcase his skills over 12 rounds to his fans, he was not brought over because Mundine wanted exposure in the very profitable South American market.
Nieves was brought over to loose, and spectacularly.

And I for one am a little glad it backfired, it may well teach Khoder & Mundine to have a little more respect for his fans. Probably not but in all honestly I think Choc could have looked better against Danilo Haussler or Alan Green, two guys with a shit load more pedigree & reputation than Nieves.

Whether or not it was a good performance, or Nieves was a worthy foe, there was a goal (of course it was secondary to winning) that Khoder & Choc wanted to achieve last night and it was not met.

Spot on IMO.
Guys like Haussler & Green are much better well known, & are at least considered solid just outside top 10 contenders at 168.
Those are the sort of keep busy fight Mundine should take IMO.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #6
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: "Just fucken jabbem heaps Choc!"
Posts: 8,236
vCash: 1325
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Good OP
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:30 AM   #7
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Fremantle, WA
Posts: 10,142
vCash: 1275
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express
Put it this way, Les Sherrington is keen as mustard to face Neivas next. The Argie had a lot of heart and gave it his all. Still he was NOT a world class opponent and had no right to be involved in a world title fight. FACT.
Be funny if Les ko's him, which could very well happen.
As Les has quite some power.
Kegsy is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:32 AM   #8
boxfan99
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
Havent got much to say on the fight itself, everything has been said and argued to death.
I will only say that Nieves suprised me, he was more durable and capable than I think all of us expected and I wouldnt mind seeing him back hear against our lower calibre supermiddle-light heavies.

But I will say something about the fight as a spectacle and promotion.
Nieves was chosen for one purpose and one purpose only, so Choc could have an impressive win.
Nieves was meant to lie down & get smashed like a good little boy and Mundine was to look good doing it.

Nieves was not brought over so Choc could have some rounds, he was not brought over so Choc could have some experience against a taller opponant, he was not brought over because he had a "name", he was not brought over so Choc could showcase his skills over 12 rounds to his fans, he was not brought over because Mundine wanted exposure in the very profitable South American market.
Nieves was brought over to loose, and spectacularly.

And I for one am a little glad it backfired, it may well teach Khoder & Mundine to have a little more respect for his fans. Probably not but in all honestly I think Choc could have looked better against Danilo Haussler or Alan Green, two guys with a shit load more pedigree & reputation than Nieves.

Whether or not it was a good performance, or Nieves was a worthy foe, there was a goal (of course it was secondary to winning) that Khoder & Choc wanted to achieve last night and it was not met.


Good post, I agree with everything you wrote except the part about the profitable South American market.
boxfan99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #9
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

If there one thing that Les has down pat, its his offense.

He has a good kit of punches, and power in both hands.

Les has ko'd guys that fighters better than him couldnt, so he could well blow out Nieves.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:33 AM   #10
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Sydney
Posts: 11,627
vCash: 166
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxfan99


Good post, I agree with everything you wrote except the part about the profitable South American market.
Which was a pisstake
WhataRock is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:34 AM   #11
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: West Chester, PA
Posts: 5,966
vCash: 75
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

good post rock - the guy had a great chin and kept coming forward which impressed me
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 12:40 AM   #12
boxfan99
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,122
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhataRock
Which was a pisstake
Yeah, I see that now.
boxfan99 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #13
pecks
*****
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 6,753
vCash: 1908
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Good post. I wasn't surprised that the fight went the distance (haven't seen the fight yet) because Mundine can often struggle to put away guys, and most Argies (obviously not Clavero or Acousta) are real tough nuts.
I said before the fight that it could well pan out similar to Green/Garcia and from reading everyones post fight posts, it looks as though thats pretty much how it went.
pecks is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:45 AM   #14
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member
 
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 327
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

I agree with everyhting except that Mundine looked anything but top notch. It was awesome speed and accuracy from the man. Look agressive and evasive in defense. Stood toe to toe even in the last when all Nievas was going to do was look to KO him. You nut crunchers are so ridiculous in your judgements it is not funny.
Comments like "backfired"...my lord. Did you guys see the same fight I did. All Mundine didnt do was KO the guy. And thats a credit to Nievas chin. I am not taking much out of the victory as a fan, but show some self dignity as haters. It wasa dominant and entertaining to watch. What else is there to say.
EelsRule is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2007, 03:50 AM   #15
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: Australia
Posts: 4,631
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Mundine-Nieves

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelsRule
I agree with everyhting except that Mundine looked anything but top notch. It was awesome speed and accuracy from the man. Look agressive and evasive in defense. Stood toe to toe even in the last when all Nievas was going to do was look to KO him. You nut crunchers are so ridiculous in your judgements it is not funny.
Comments like "backfired"...my lord. Did you guys see the same fight I did. All Mundine didnt do was KO the guy. And thats a credit to Nievas chin. I am not taking much out of the victory as a fan, but show some self dignity as haters. It wasa dominant and entertaining to watch. What else is there to say.
Who was he up against. I could look dominant and evasive and stand toe 2 toe in the last round if I was fighting the captain of the school chess team. Doesn't mean shit though. Against that sort of opponent Mundine should have been more impressive then what he was. End of Story.
MSTR is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:07 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013