Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-20-2007, 01:35 PM   #1
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Jabbing with your hand low (or from a half-guard?)

I noticed a lot of pros (that were known for their jabs, i.e. Holmes, Pernell) kept their lead hand low, it seems like you get more snap in your jab when you do this, any opinions on this?

Also how do you guys throw your jabs, do you just bend at the elbow to get fast for a double or triple, or do you pump your elbow(yeah kind of hard to word it...) and put your shoulder into it? I like to start out with a hard jab than throw one or two fast ones, with not much behind them if i do a double or triple.
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 05:22 PM   #2
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Jabbing with your hand low (or from a half-guard?)

Well, Holmes taught me the jab, but I throw it from about jaw level. Imagine a Holmes jab thrown from about 3 inches in front of your face, and about at jaw-cheekbone level. Thats my jab, of course its not as good as Larry's, but the same technique.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 06:57 PM   #3
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Well, Holmes taught me the jab, but I throw it from about jaw level. Imagine a Holmes jab thrown from about 3 inches in front of your face, and about at jaw-cheekbone level. Thats my jab, of course its not as good as Larry's, but the same technique.
Why at jaw level? Not as fast as Holmes, or are you just more comfortable with a full guard, and do you think you could give me some tips on that kind of jab.. (I'm throwing mine from full guard right now, but every now and than ill use halfguard in sparring and do pretty good, i have above average handspeed and pretty good natural slickness and im a southpaw.. Im 5'6 128 and like to stay on the outside..

I understand i'll get bombed for saying i use a halfguard sometimes but its actually kind of natural for me, like when im getting rained on and go into a shell, ill use a half guard instead of covering up..Kind of weird but its effective for me.

Back to the point, tips on how to add some power to that jab, i can throw doubles and triples from jaw level with great speed, but im just not feeling the umph in it..

I also noticed Larry always moved his lead hand up and down so he was never really in a halfguard or a fullguard.. He kind of threw it from where ever the hell he wanted to it seems haha.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-20-2007, 07:15 PM   #4
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnificentMatt
Why at jaw level? Not as fast as Holmes, or are you just more comfortable with a full guard, and do you think you could give me some tips on that kind of jab.. (I'm throwing mine from full guard right now, but every now and than ill use halfguard in sparring and do pretty good, i have above average handspeed and pretty good natural slickness and im a southpaw.. Im 5'6 128 and like to stay on the outside..

I understand i'll get bombed for saying i use a halfguard sometimes but its actually kind of natural for me, like when im getting rained on and go into a shell, ill use a half guard instead of covering up..Kind of weird but its effective for me.

Back to the point, tips on how to add some power to that jab, i can throw doubles and triples from jaw level with great speed, but im just not feeling the umph in it..

I also noticed Larry always moved his lead hand up and down so he was never really in a halfguard or a fullguard.. He kind of threw it from where ever the hell he wanted to it seems haha.
Well, I'm not as fast as Holmes (not too many people are), and its just the way I'm comfortable. I don't mind half guard, its just I feel exposed. Are you stepping in when you throw the jab? Because that helps a lot. Also, try to push your jab through the persons head, and that will help a lot. Also, what I do is lean slightly forwards at the same time when I throw the jab, sort of like what Ali and Holmes did when they jabbed. It adds snap (at least it did for me). Holmes moved his lead hand up and down and all around to keep you guessing. Because he would throw the jab at your head or body, so he would use that to fake you out. He might throw a bunch of jabs to the head, feint a jab to the body, and hit you with the right instead. Thats what he did to knock Cooney down in the 2nd round.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 10-20-2007, 07:19 PM   #5
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
Well, I'm not as fast as Holmes (not too many people are), and its just the way I'm comfortable. I don't mind half guard, its just I feel exposed. Are you stepping in when you throw the jab? Because that helps a lot. Also, try to push your jab through the persons head, and that will help a lot. Also, what I do is lean slightly forwards at the same time when I throw the jab, sort of like what Ali and Holmes did when they jabbed. It adds snap (at least it did for me). Holmes moved his lead hand up and down and all around to keep you guessing. Because he would throw the jab at your head or body, so he would use that to fake you out. He might throw a bunch of jabs to the head, feint a jab to the body, and hit you with the right instead. Thats what he did to knock Cooney down in the 2nd round.
Thanks man.. Reason i used Holmes and Sweet Pea as examples.. Well, theyre my favorite boxers, right there with Sugar Shane..

Thats awesome that you got to meet Larry and he gave you tips though.
Old 10-20-2007, 07:25 PM   #6
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Thanks man.. Reason i used Holmes and Sweet Pea as examples.. Well, theyre my favorite boxers, right there with Sugar Shane..

Thats awesome that you got to meet Larry and he gave you tips though.
No problem.I go to Larry's gym. He's in there a lot, and gives pointers and instructions when you spar or hit the bags or mits.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 03:20 PM   #7
ralphc
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
I noticed a lot of pros (that were known for their jabs, i.e. Holmes, Pernell) kept their lead hand low, it seems like you get more snap in your jab when you do this, any opinions on this?

Also how do you guys throw your jabs, do you just bend at the elbow to get fast for a double or triple, or do you pump your elbow(yeah kind of hard to word it...) and put your shoulder into it? I like to start out with a hard jab than throw one or two fast ones, with not much behind them if i do a double or triple.

The reason men like Larry Holmes got away with their hands down style is because they did not face opponents who were capable of punishing them for it. Taylor has a hands down style too, but he was punished by Pavlik. Jason Litsau was punished too, and judging from his most recent fights, failed to learn the right lesson.
ralphc is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 04:23 PM   #8
Nwil
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

the jab does get more snap from half-guard, but not more power. I think the left hand (or right, if you're southpaw) shouldn't be restricted to one spot. You're constantly using it to measure distance, feint, etc., so you have to adapt based on the situation. When I sparred a short, stocky guy, I had it down, because I knew I could slip his punches and would mostly be staying on the outside. It's really gay when kids do it just to look good, or because they don't know shit about boxing, but in certain circumstances, it can be effective. Generally speaking though, keep your hands up. I doubt you'll find many trainers who teach the half-guard as the basic stance. Once a person gets good enough to experiment with styles, they can try it.

So, just use different types of jab based on your opponent and level of skill.
Nwil is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 05:56 PM   #9
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nwil
the jab does get more snap from half-guard, but not more power. I think the left hand (or right, if you're southpaw) shouldn't be restricted to one spot. You're constantly using it to measure distance, feint, etc., so you have to adapt based on the situation. When I sparred a short, stocky guy, I had it down, because I knew I could slip his punches and would mostly be staying on the outside. It's really gay when kids do it just to look good, or because they don't know shit about boxing, but in certain circumstances, it can be effective. Generally speaking though, keep your hands up. I doubt you'll find many trainers who teach the half-guard as the basic stance. Once a person gets good enough to experiment with styles, they can try it.

So, just use different types of jab based on your opponent and level of skill.
Good post. Another reason for lowering the left is getting people to throw punches at you. I like to counter so I sometimes drop my left to invite them to throw the right hand. It really bugs me to see so many people advocating being one dimensional. A while back in the general forum, they had a thread on why not to throw uppercuts...
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 06:04 PM   #10
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

whoah i wouldn't want to look gay, i'll keep my left higher from now on.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 08:44 PM   #11
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralphc
The reason men like Larry Holmes got away with their hands down style is because they did not face opponents who were capable of punishing them for it. Taylor has a hands down style too, but he was punished by Pavlik. Jason Litsau was punished too, and judging from his most recent fights, failed to learn the right lesson.
Larry fought plenty of guys that could punish him for it. Shavers, Cooney, Witherspoon, Smith, Mercer and more. Its just that he was so fast and could dance away.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing