Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Who wins in a rematch?
Johnson 2 11.76%
Hopkins 15 88.24%
Voters: 17. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #1
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

vCash: 75
Default Glen Johnson vs. Bernard Hopkins II

Since the RJJ/Hop rematch was really all about Hopkins settling an old score how about this one for Johnson should he get by Cloud and wins the IBF lt.hwy title.

Both are over 40, both are still relevant and both are in question of their current elite statuses in the division.

The clash of styles favors Hopkins but I think Johnson has more in the tank left than Hopkins does and that us due more to Johnson being more active and Hopkins being an inactive fighter.

If Johnson turns up the heat, will Hopkins get on his knees while holding the back of his head as though to complain he was being rabbit punched even though he wasnt through out the entire fight?

I see it as a majority decision for Johnson with protest from Hopkins of course.

How do you all see it?
Boom_Boom is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #2
v2k987
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1582
Default Re: Glen Johnson vs. Bernard Hopkins II

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boom_Boom View Post
Since the RJJ/Hop rematch was really all about Hopkins settling an old score how about this one for Johnson should he get by Cloud and wins the IBF lt.hwy title.

Both are over 40, both are still relevant and both are in question of their current elite statuses in the division.

The clash of styles favors Hopkins but I think Johnson has more in the tank left than Hopkins does and that us due more to Johnson being more active and Hopkins being an inactive fighter.

If Johnson turns up the heat, will Hopkins get on his knees while holding the back of his head as though to complain he was being rabbit punched even though he wasnt?

I see it as a majority decision for Johnson with protest from Hopkins of course.

How do you all see it?
I don't see what Johnson could do differently. Hopkins would make it an ugly slow paced hug fest and win a decision. And thats not a bad thing... amazing he can still do this at such a high level.

But do you really think Johnson gets by Cloud because i don't.
v2k987 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 11:58 AM   #3
Prince
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Hopkins wins about 8 or 9 rounds and Johnson cries robbery.
Prince is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by v2k987 View Post
I don't see what Johnson could do differently. Hopkins would make it an ugly slow paced hug fest and win a decision. And thats not a bad thing... amazing he can still do this at such a high level.

But do you really think Johnson gets by Cloud because i don't.

Johnson at his age still shows he has a lot of stamina whilst Hopkins looks to decline significantly since the Pavlik fight. I can see Hopkins potshotting and grabbing the whole night but it will be a case of what the judges prefer and at what ration aggressionrecision.

And you know what I am rooting for Cloud I really am, but I saw something in the Clinton Woods fight that doesnt make me like his chances against Johnson. Cloud is too much in love with his power and needs to move forward to be effective, Johnson is a fighter that cannot be pushed back. That along with Johnson's iron chin and Cloud's being untested against relentless pressure has the makings of an upset.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
spud1
HAWK TIME!!!!
East Side Guru

nobody apart from you would want to see this, glen and pavlik would show us how much each fighter has got left, and hopkins vs chad or bute is more interesting, hop can see how many young guys he can school or the young guys get the chance to beat a living legend
spud1 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by spud1 View Post
nobody apart from you would want to see this, glen and pavlik would show us how much each fighter has got left, and hopkins vs chad or bute is more interesting, hop can see how many young guys he can school or the young guys get the chance to beat a living legend

Huge Hopkins fan Im assuming.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:16 PM   #7
spud1
HAWK TIME!!!!
East Side Guru

im huge fan because id rather see johnson and pavlik or lucian bute or chad dawson vs hopkins

that statement means nothing, now shoo
spud1 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:19 PM   #8
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

Quote:
im huge fan because id rather see johnson and pavlik or lucian bute or chad dawson vs hopkins

that statement means nothing, now shoo
Dont run away from this.

Im curious which fight has shown you that Hopkins vs. Bute/Dawson would be more competitive than Hopkins/Johnson II?

RJJ II?
Ornelas?
Pavlik?
Old 07-02-2010, 12:24 PM   #9
spud1
HAWK TIME!!!!
East Side Guru

pavlik and joihnson woulod be a brawl. no one would back up

on the other hand their is a stylistic matchup between the aforementioned opponents of b-hop. what is not to like about that?

two different styles of fights a brawl and technical matchup both have potential to be knockouts. bute vs hop pavlik vs johnson
spud1 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:32 PM   #10
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

Quote:
pavlik and joihnson woulod be a brawl. no one would back up

on the other hand their is a stylistic matchup between the aforementioned opponents of b-hop. what is not to like about that?

two different styles of fights a brawl and technical matchup both have potential to be knockouts. bute vs hop pavlik vs johnson

Pavlik/Johnson could be a brawl but Johnson would have a great chance of doing something that Hopkins couldnt do, KO Pavlik.

As of now Pavlik is irrelevant in the lt.hwy division and if Johnson beats Cloud without Pavlik being tested at 175 ,matching the 2 up would be a mismatch in favor of Johnson.

Hopkins vs. Bute/Dawson leaves so much doubt whether or not Bhop could compete with either fighter at this stage of his career. A rematch with Johnson for the IBF belt would answer those questions and build a fight with Bute/Dawson Unification match even bigger.
Old 07-02-2010, 12:38 PM   #11
Boxed Ears
I love GOAT.
East Side VIP

vCash: 25999

Hopkins is not the man that fought Pavlik anymore, and that version of Hopkins was not the man he used to be either. But he's still one craft SOB. Glen, very underrated fighter, imo. But...think he still loses. He's a younger dinosaur but he's still a dinosaur and I'd favor Hopkins to get close and smother his best offense and pick at him to a decision victory. Certainly wouldn't bet on a knockout. Bernard's never been stopped but he's not stopped anyone in years either. Anyway, I'm rambling and need to sleep so blah, blah, blah, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam. (I want Toney/Hopkins!...With a 24/7!)
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:40 PM   #12
Boom_Boom
R.I.P Boxing 6/9/12
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxed Ears View Post
Hopkins is not the man that fought Pavlik anymore, and that version of Hopkins was not the man he used to be either. But he's still one craft SOB. Glen, very underrated fighter, imo. But...think he still loses. He's a younger dinosaur but he's still a dinosaur and I'd favor Hopkins to get close and smother his best offense and pick at him to a decision victory. Certainly wouldn't bet on a knockout. Bernard's never been stopped but he's not stopped anyone in years either. Anyway, I'm rambling and need to sleep so blah, blah, blah, Pongsaklek Wonjongkam. (I want Toney/Hopkins!...With a 24/7!)
Old 07-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #13
WilPEP
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 665

Johnson takes this easy. Hopkins is crafty, but Glen is too at this stage. The losses to Dawson are excusable, everyone acts like losing to the top dog in the division means your shot. Dawson had a rangy southpaw jinxing style to confuse Glen, Ol' Popkins doesn't move well and would eat more leather from Johnson than anyone seems to think.

On a side note, if this is such a walkover for Hopkins why hasn't he jumped on this fight?

Last edited by WilPEP; 07-02-2010 at 12:53 PM. Reason: Grammer/Spelling
WilPEP is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 12:58 PM   #14
spud1
HAWK TIME!!!!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilPEP View Post
Johnson takes this easy. Hopkins is crafty, but Glen is too at this stage. The losses to Dawson are excusable, everyone acts like losing to the top dog in the division means your shot. Dawson had a rangy southpaw jinxing style to confuse Glen, Ol' Popkins doesn't move well and would eat more leather from Johnson than anyone seems to think.

On a side note, if this is such a walkover for Hopkins why hasn't he jumped on this fight?

because no one wants to see it, he already stopped johnson a number of years ago by tko, the same thing probably wouldnt happen but this fight still doesnt make fiancial sense when their are other fighters to beat that make for more meaningful fights
spud1 is offline  Top
Old 07-02-2010, 01:15 PM   #15
RAW
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilpep View Post

on a side note, if this is such a walkover for hopkins why hasn't he jumped on this fight?
it's not a big pay day. I don't think there's a whole lot of interest in it either.
RAW is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum