Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 05-02-2012, 10:50 AM   #121
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Leonard vs todays Mayweather

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoo25 View Post
Please don't kill me if there has been threads on this before, but would a prime Leonard be able to beat todays Floyd Mayweather? if so, would it:

A) Be a walk over for Leonard?

B) Toughest fight of Leonard's career?
Somewhere in between A & B

No way a prime Leonard loses to fmj, he was a better overall fighter AND the bigger man... he would have to be at his sharpest to tag fmj enough to bag the rounds & wear him down so it would not be a walk over but fmj simply does not have enough offensive arsenal to give Ray anywhere near the sort of problems that Hearns & Duran gave him, it would not be Ray`s toughest fight.

Leonard stops fmj late in a 15 rounder, I think floyd has what it takes to lose comfortably on points in a 12 rounder tho but I wouldn`t bet on that either way... the only bet I`d make is on a straight Leonard victory & I`d put everything I had on this.

Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 10:53 AM   #122
Stonehands89
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by manbearpig View Post
**** you
Take a bow, it's not like you're ashamed. Next time I'll put in bold so you see it sooner.
Stonehands89 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 AM   #123
manbearpig
A Scottish Noob
ESB Addict

vCash: 1185

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stonehands89 View Post
Take a bow, it's not like you're ashamed. Next time I'll put in bold so you see it sooner.
**** you
manbearpig is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 11:12 AM   #124
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Leonard!

Benitez's slickness and defense exceeds Mayweather's. Leonard beat him early on.

Duran and Hearns were 10x the Mayweather offense, Leonard stood up.

Though both are "The Brothers Machiavelli" outside of the ring, angling for advantages, avoiding guys for as long as politically possible, and anything but fearless, Leonard is far more ferocious and secure as a competitor in the ring than Floyd.

Floyd throws cheap shots. Floyd breaks commitments to come in 2 lbs over the contracted weight against a damn lightweight.

--Leonard's class would be like Cary Grant to Floyd's manbearpig.

Leonard has too much, inside and out, for the whole Mayweather clan. I don't see Mayweather coping with that offense. He'll look good or great for 5 rounds, but Leonard's got too much height, speed, power, and versatility for him.
Odd to see you lavishing SRL with this kind of praise.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 11:17 AM   #125
Bill Butcher
Erik`El Terrible`Morales
East Side VIP

Location: Phoenix Marie`s ass, Fritzl Residence, Glasgow, Scotland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swarmer View Post
If i could somehow see mayweather at 130 vs Leonard at 130

0_o

Leonard didn't have an easy time with Benitez, that's just absurd. He called him the most elusive and talented boxer he's ever faced.
Depends which way you look at it tho... Ray might have felt this way within himself during the fight but from a spectators perspective I had him winning comfortably throughout, Duran & Hearns definitely gave him more problems than Benitez as far as rounds won & physical damage inflicted.
Bill Butcher is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 PM   #126
apollack
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Prime Leonard either stops Floyd or beats him very soundly. I respect and admire both, but Ray was on another level and I actually think it would be a bad matchup for Floyd because Ray could match and exceed his speed, and he was bigger, taller, stronger and busier, and also hard to hit.
apollack is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #127
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFoo25 View Post
Please don't kill me if there has been threads on this before, but would a prime Leonard be able to beat todays Floyd Mayweather? if so, would it:

A) Be a walk over for Leonard?

B) Toughest fight of Leonard's career?

Somewhere in between. It would n't be a walkover,but no way the toughest fight of Ray's career. Leonard would win by convincing decision. A bit of a chess match. The Sugarman would have an answer for anything Floyd would do.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 07:56 PM   #128
duranimal
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Leonard!

Benitez's slickness and defense exceeds Mayweather's. Leonard beat him early on.

Duran and Hearns were 10x the Mayweather offense, Leonard stood up.

Though both are "The Brothers Machiavelli" outside of the ring, angling for advantages, avoiding guys for as long as politically possible, and anything but fearless, Leonard is far more ferocious and secure as a competitor in the ring than Floyd.

Floyd throws cheap shots. Floyd breaks commitments to come in 2 lbs over the contracted weight against a damn lightweight.

--Leonard's class would be like Cary Grant to Floyd's manbearpig.

Leonard has too much, inside and out, for the whole Mayweather clan. I don't see Mayweather coping with that offense. He'll look good or great for 5 rounds, but Leonard's got too much height, speed, power, and versatility for him.
duranimal is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 08:01 PM   #129
MAG1965
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 1010

To simplify this. Both are fast and skilled top level. Ray was a warrior and Floyd is not. Ray is just more competitive and a harder puncher. Ray always fought and looked ahead to the later rounds.
MAG1965 is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 09:06 PM   #130
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Leonard for my money. Despite the smile and media darling image, leonard was a viscious SOB and had the speed, mobility and power to make it a long night for Mayweather. Floyd would have his moments of course but once Ray hurts him, he finishes him. Ray's been in with the best of his era....and maybe many other era's as well and has the experience to match his many attributes....and I'm not even a big Leonard fan but I have to give him his due. He was something.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM   #131
Hands of Iron
#MSE
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

SRL lacking props on Classic? Easy solution: Pit him against Floyd Mayweather, Jr. in a H2H fantasy match-up.

In all seriousness, there isn't anything to add that hasn't been said. Leonard was one of the greatest welterweights in the history of the sport in terms of skill level, ability and quality of opposition. He's got every tool in the book to deal with Floyd - who while immensely skilled himself - was better a few divisions south of SRL's domain.

UD12 or TKO14

Last edited by Hands of Iron; 05-02-2012 at 09:48 PM.
Hands of Iron is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 12:34 AM   #132
alakran
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 2123

the problem i have with this type of matchups is that You're putting one of the greatest welterweights in his prime against one of the greatest lightweights and when he has slowed down a little
alakran is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 04:19 AM   #133
fists of fury
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1887

It would be foolish of me to not pick Leonard.

Ray had the ability to overcome, which is a very rare quality in a fighter. Duran, Hearns and to a lesser extent Benitez all gave him serious issues to deal with, but overcome them he did. (Okay, it took him two tries against Duran, but he did it.)

Mayweather is a terrific defensive fighter and very intelligent, but Leonard holds most of the aces, not only physically, but mentally as well.

I'm not sure that if it came to that, Floyd has the same ability as Ray did to dig deep and find an inner resolve to pull out a win. If Floyd loses momentum in the fight, I don't see how he could possibly pull it back. On the other hand, I believe Leonard could find that extra something...

I don't know how Leonard would win, but I would bet the house that he wins.
fists of fury is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 07:36 AM   #134
Nipple
I hate my username
ESB Addict

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleman jim View Post
Leonard for my money. Despite the smile and media darling image, leonard was a viscious SOB and had the speed, mobility and power to make it a long night for Mayweather. Floyd would have his moments of course but once Ray hurts him, he finishes him. Ray's been in with the best of his era....and maybe many other era's as well and has the experience to match his many attributes....and I'm not even a big Leonard fan but I have to give him his due. He was something.
This.

SRL is probably the greatest of all time, imho.

Like you've said, he really was something.
Nipple is offline  Top
Old 05-03-2012, 09:26 AM   #135
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Leonard!

Hmmm, Leonard fought Benitez, Duran x 2, Kalule, and Hearns within a two year period. Your considerable journalistic skills go out the window when the discussion has anything to do with Duran and/or his nemesis Leonard.
natonic is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum