Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 10-21-2007, 06:52 AM   #1
Dostoevsky
Hardcore......to the max!
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default UFC kind of boring recently

I haven't seen the latest UFC but from what I've heard with the exception of the Silva fight the rest were pretty boring.

Thinking back, the last couple of UFC's have been pretty boring, they've been great match ups but the actual fights have been pretty dull.
The only fight I can think of that excited me was Couture-Gonzaga but that was more because of the tension of if Randy could win.
I really don't know why this is but It has come to my attention pretty recently, even the Shogun fight was kind of dull.

Anyone else feel this? I'm not even sure if I can be bothered to watch the latest UFC 77 on repeat.

Whats going on?
Dostoevsky is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-21-2007, 07:09 AM   #2
bulakenyo
Am I a boxing fan yet?
ESB Addict

vCash: 75
Default Re: UFC kind of boring recently

the silva fight is worth watching.
bulakenyo is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 07:23 AM   #3
Hrak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 328

Ya it is, the MMA HW division is worst than boxings HW division. The main guy was Couture and his gone, Silva is shit, Cro Cop seems to be shot and Emelienenko is not in the mainstream.

I think eventually MMA is gone suffer from the same stuff boxing is. The mane reason MMA became so big is because the top guys constantly fight eachother, thats not the case with boxing, theyre is too many barriers like purse splits and sanctioning body politics. Now that MMA has gained momentum, the fighters are expecting higher purses and their going off to different organizations to achieve them. So its the ABC's all over again.
Hrak is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 07:35 AM   #4
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hrak
I think eventually MMA is gone suffer from the same stuff boxing is. The mane reason MMA became so big is because the top guys constantly fight eachother, thats not the case with boxing, theyre is too many barriers like purse splits and sanctioning body politics. Now that MMA has gained momentum, the fighters are expecting higher purses and their going off to different organizations to achieve them. So its the ABC's all over again.
Its weird, this year Boxing has really pulled its socks up and we are seeing the fights we want to see, alot of the fighters are actually fighting this year and next year as well.

If the UFC has done anything to Boxing it has forced the boxing promoters hands to actually make an effort to put on the best fights.

When you think about it alot of the divisions in the UFC are ****ed. The lightweight division is a mess, what the hell is going on there? is Sherk still the champ? The welterweight division is doing OK. The middleweight division is deserted, there is not alot of talent, why Filho is being kept in the WEC I don't know. Why the **** Dana didn't want to have Dennis Kang in the UFC I don't know.
The LHW is a mess, Rampage is safe and secure at least but who ranks where? the top fighters are Rampage,Griffin,Jardine and Alexander!
The heavyweights? Sylvia is shit, Gonzaga is still a mystery (is he actually good or not?) Arlovski is MIA, Crocop is shot, Nog is fat and they just signed Brock Lesnar

Add in the fact that quite a few pride fighters have performed shit in the UFC or have not even bothered going to the UFC splintering the MMA world.

I think MMA faces the same problems as boxing, fighters who refuse to fight, corrupt and greedy promoters, dodgy judging decisions, multiple belts and too many organizations.

Last edited by Dostoevsky; 10-21-2007 at 08:30 AM.
Old 10-21-2007, 07:47 AM   #5
Hrak
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 328

Quote:
Its weird, this year Boxing has really pulled its socks up and we are seeing the fights we won't to see, alot of the fighters are actually fighting this year and next year as well.

If the UFC has done anything to Boxing it has forced the boxing promoters hands to actually make an effort to put on the best fights.

When you think about it alot of the divisions in the UFC are ****ed. The lightweight division is a mess, what the hell is going on there? is Sherk still the champ? The welterweight division is doing OK. The middleweight division is deserted, there is not alot of talent, why Filho is being kept in the WEC I don't know. Why the **** Dana didn't want to have Dennis Kang in the UFC I don't know.
The LHW is a mess, Rampage is safe and secure at least but who ranks where? the top fighters are Rampage,Griffin,Jardine and Alexander!
The heavyweights? Sylvia is shit, Gonzaga is still a mystery (is he actually good or not?) Arlovski is MIA, Crocop is shot, Nog is fat and they just signed Brock Lesnar

Add in the fact that quite a few pride fighters have performed shit in the UFC or have not even bothered going to the UFC splintering the MMA world.

I think MMA faces the same problems as boxing, fighters who refuse to fight, corrupt and greedy promoters, dodgy judging decisions, multiple belts and too many organizations.
Very true.
Hrak is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 08:03 AM   #6
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron Duke
signed Brock Lesnar
Where did you hear about this? Last i knew he had a 5-6 fight contract with Hero`s.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by scurlaruntings
Where did you hear about this? Last i knew he had a 5-6 fight contract with Hero`s.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Announed it at UFC 77
Old 10-21-2007, 10:25 AM   #8
ajc1984
Journeyman

Another disappointing show, but don't worry, we've got the Bisping vs Rashad megafight to look forward to next.
ajc1984 is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 10:30 AM   #9
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc1984
Another disappointing show, but don't worry, we've got the Bisping vs Rashad megafight to look forward to next.

Last edited by LONGROB; 08-10-2006 at 11:53 PM.
Old 10-21-2007, 11:36 AM   #10
bulakenyo
Am I a boxing fan yet?
ESB Addict

kinda off topic here.

talking about boring styles, i have some friends who love UFC that dont like Machida's style and tempo of fighting. they say he's too passive and too much of a counterpuncher, and he cant headline a UFC card in the future = boring fighter.

i happen to like Machida, along with Spider Silva. He's a like a modified boxer in the UFC, Anybody also thinks Machida stinks up the place everytime he fights?
Old 10-21-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Dostoevsky
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by bulakenyo
kinda off topic here.

talking about boring styles, i have some friends who love UFC that dont like Machida's style and tempo of fighting. they say he's too passive and too much of a counterpuncher, and he cant headline a UFC card in the future = boring fighter.

i happen to like Machida, along with Spider Silva. He's a like a modified boxer in the UFC, Anybody also thinks Machida stinks up the place everytime he fights?
Machida is a great fighter but not a crowd pleaser, not that that should matter, a fighter should be judged on his victories as opposed to how he fights.
Which opens up a much bigger topic of discussion, which is the UFC's tendency to favour fighters it thinks are more marketable and will rake in more money over other fighters that perhaps have achieved more.

Machida is the main case, he probably deserves a title fight and deserves to be in the top 5 if not 3 205lb'ers out there but because he is not deemed a crowd pleaser I doubt he'll get a deal in a long time as the UFC doesn't want to risk having a 'boring' fighter as the champion.

This is a problem in MMA imo, is that since all fighters have to be in an organization, then that organization can pick and choose who fights who and and who fights when and where. Great fighters might be denied a title fight or even career helping fights if the management of that organization doesn't like how that fighters fights.

Another case in example is Andrei Arlovski, he was promished a title fight if he beat Werdum, which he did, unfortuanetly for him he had an off night and gave a lackluster performance, he was then denied the title fight and is now in limbo.

At least in boxing if you beat enough good fighters no matter how 'boring' your peceived you will eventually get a title shot if you work your way up.

Problem with MMA is that you can get flat out rejected by the higher up management. Then your screwed, in boxing you could move to a different title belt organization or different promoter, in the UFC for example if Dana White doesn't want you to advance your career you can't. Simple as. Your owned, your effectively a slave, everything you do while under that contract is owned and you can't do anything about it unless you retire or wait many months possibly years to run out the contract. And if you do wait, where will you get money from to survive on?

Its not like you could go off and make a bit of extra money fighting elsewhere like some down and out boxers do. You're finished.

This is the big problem in the UFC, when you sign the dotted line, your a slave, they control you, they tell you what to do, when to do and who to do it to. (fighting that is) And if you don't like that then tough, theres **** all you can do about it.

I think that is the reason Fedor didn't want to sign with the UFC, not because of money or being scared or any of that other bullshit but because he most likely values his independence.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #12
bulakenyo
Am I a boxing fan yet?
ESB Addict

excellent.

i dont get why "rabid" UFC fans hate machida's style. I think it's elegant and graceful. Like classical boxing, modified for MMA combat. Hit and not get hit.
Old 10-21-2007, 12:42 PM   #13
Beebs
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1493

Machidas not as much "boring" as frustrating, because he could finish his fights no problem, he totally dominates, and then doesn't step in for the kill, thats just not cool.
Beebs is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 02:41 PM   #14
thebrodstar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajc1984

I really did lol at that comment and showed my buddy....
thebrodstar is offline  Top
Old 10-21-2007, 02:53 PM   #15
thebrodstar
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

UFC hasn't been that boring. The upsets have been retarded, I am afraid to bet on UFC at all I lost a small wager on Franklin vs Silva last night lol. I realize that wasn't an upset but when Serra took the belt from GSP I don't think anyone could believe it.
thebrodstar is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum