Old 07-07-2010, 02:47 PM   #1
snakerattle79
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Vadim Finklestein: “I Think Fedor Can Still Reach A Deal With The UFC”

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

M-1 Global president Vadim Finklestein thinks that a deal could still be reached with the UFC that could see the Russian heavyweight Fedor Emelianenko join the organisation, despite the bad feeling that has thus far existed between M-1 and the UFC.

“I think yes. But not on the same terms they offered us before. We will not let ourselves to get owned. Fedor became very popular [already] outside the Octagon. So, long story short:

1. We would like to receive guaranteed payments. I know that if we agree for percents, they will cheat us.

2. Maybe not a co-promotion (like we offered before), but at least co-branding. 3. They also will have to permit Fedor participating in Sambo competitions, and during our last negotiations UFC were ready for that term,” he said.

However, the comments could be part of a chess game with Strikeforce. M-1 is trying to bring as much pressure as possible to bear for an immediate rematch with Fabricio Werdum, who submitted Fedor in 69 seconds when they fought on June 26th.

“We are ready to fight against anyone, but everyone agrees that the most interesting fight right now is the rematch against Fabricio Werdum. We have one fight left on our contract, so if Strikeforce want to extend it, they should listen to our opinion,” Finkelstein said.

“Fedor will fight again sometime between October and November… the only thing fans want to see is Fedor vs Werdum II. Fabricio himself said that he would like to rematch Fedor in Russia. That would be great, but this fight will not happen in Russia,” he added, outlining how the rematch would have to happen in the US for financial reasons.

Strikeforce is known to be keen on having either Fedor or Werdum fighting Strikeforce heavyweight champion Alistair Overeem next. M-1 do not seem at all keen on a meeting with Overeem, despite a title being on the line, and perhaps feel that a rematch with Werdum offers a better chance of victory and thus a stronger negotiating position for a second contract.

source: [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
snakerattle79 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-07-2010, 04:18 PM   #2
(PimpThaSystem)
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Vadim Finklestein: “I Think Fedor Can Still Reach A Deal With The UFC”

WTF is co-branding?
(PimpThaSystem) is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #3
achillesthegreat
FORTUNE FAVOURS THE BRAVE
East Side VIP

Default Re: Vadim Finklestein: “I Think Fedor Can Still Reach A Deal With The UFC”

Not happening at the moment unless they took a smaller package.
achillesthegreat is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
ufoalf
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1550

Quote:
Originally Posted by (PimpThaSystem) View Post
WTF is co-branding?
Means they still get to put their little logo everywhere.
ufoalf is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 07:58 PM   #5
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

Whats the big deal? Why won't the UFC go for it? Its not like most people will even know what it is or care what it is.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:03 PM   #6
Boinko
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Seems M-1 is finally showing some flexibility on the co-promotion demand, which was a deal breaker last time.
Amazing what a loss will do to your negotiating powers.
Boinko is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:10 PM   #7
Nuke
Full Length Member
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boinko View Post
Seems M-1 is finally showing some flexibility on the co-promotion demand, which was a deal breaker last time.
Amazing what a loss will do to your negotiating powers.

You see M-1 negotiating lets see if the UFC will lean up on the owning Fedors likeness rights. THAT was a big part of what Fedor didn't like.

How come it comes down to what the UFC didn't like about the deal No one every talks about what Fedor didn't like? Fedor is the one putting his life/career on the line, I think the deal should always balance towards the fighter NOT the promotion.
Nuke is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:18 PM   #8
One Punch KO
Contender
ESB Senior Member

I'm not even entirely sure why they want co-branding. I can understand co-promoting, there is money in that, but why bother arguing about attaching the M-1 name to it?

What is advertising M-1 actually going to do for them? Their MMA promotion is basically a farm system for up and coming fighters, based in Europe and Russia. Why spoil a few good UFC pay-days by demanding that? Dana would never go for it, especially after the loss.
One Punch KO is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 08:58 PM   #9
keyser
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Fedor should beat Werdum in a rematch and take one last fight in the UFC for free and beat Brock to a pulp for no cash at all That would be legendary
keyser is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 10:45 PM   #10
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
Fedor should beat Werdum in a rematch and take one last fight in the UFC for free and beat Brock to a pulp for no cash at all That would be legendary
I think we all know Fedor will not fight in the UFC and he should fight Hershall Walker. He won't fight Brock and everybody knows it.
AJAX is offline  Top
Old 07-07-2010, 11:19 PM   #11
chimba
Off the Somali Coast
East Side VIP

vCash: 800

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyser View Post
I had mentioned this before but from the article alone, this finkelstein seemed either incompetent or playing stupid. But I dont think M1 is capable of thinking outside the box like that. Hes now using Fedor as chip w/o a ****in leverage. They should shut the **** up and fight their way back into title contention. Or come to the UFC for whatever Danas willing to pay him and prove hes the best.
chimba is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nuke View Post
You see M-1 negotiating lets see if the UFC will lean up on the owning Fedors likeness rights. THAT was a big part of what Fedor didn't like.

How come it comes down to what the UFC didn't like about the deal No one every talks about what Fedor didn't like? Fedor is the one putting his life/career on the line, I think the deal should always balance towards the fighter NOT the promotion.
Main point that Fedor personally didnt like were:
1) Championship clause
2) Likeness rights
3) and guaranteed money (Fedor understands that him being Russian and average looking will never get him the biggest PPV numbers). The guaranteed money that the UFC was offering was just $400,000
4) Unfair and one sided contract..........

theres a video of Fedor pointing out what he personally didnt like about the UFC contract. Its not like Fedor cant fight anywhere else as well, M1 and Fedor has a very high approval and popularity in Asia.
monaroCountry is offline  Top
Old 07-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #13
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
I think we all know Fedor will not fight in the UFC and he should fight Hershall Walker. He won't fight Brock and everybody knows it.

Brock would run away from just one of Fedor's overhand right.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:16 AM   #14
monaroCountry
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimba View Post
I had mentioned this before but from the article alone, this finkelstein seemed either incompetent or playing stupid. But I dont think M1 is capable of thinking outside the box like that. Hes now using Fedor as chip w/o a ****in leverage. They should shut the **** up and fight their way back into title contention. Or come to the UFC for whatever Danas willing to pay him and prove hes the best.
Its clear that Fedor is looking out for its fighters interest first. Fedor and Werdum wants their next fight to be against each other. Strikeforce doesnt....................whos wishes should M1 follow? the fighter that they represent or another promotion trying to change the letter of the contract?

Again MMA is odd in that the power is going to the promotion and not to the fighter who should deserve it more. This is why the UFC earns millions and millions while their big draw fighter (Carwin) only recieved $40,000.
Old 07-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #15
AJAX
war sonnen!
ESB Addict

vCash: 3450

Quote:
Originally Posted by monaroCountry View Post
Its clear that Fedor is looking out for its fighters interest first. Fedor and Werdum wants their next fight to be against each other. Strikeforce doesnt....................whos wishes should M1 follow? the fighter that they represent or another promotion trying to change the letter of the contract?

Again MMA is odd in that the power is going to the promotion and not to the fighter who should deserve it more. This is why the UFC earns millions and millions while their big draw fighter (Carwin) only recieved $40,000.
And on the flip side of that you get guys like floyd-Pac , Haye-Wlad who can avoid each other. Dana doesn't give too many easy fights. If Fedor was in the UFC he wouldn't have been able to take fights like Lindlun,Zulu,HMC etc.
AJAX is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum