Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 06-28-2007, 06:13 AM   #91
CarltonBlues
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: What the FCK did you guys watch last night?

I thought it was an absolute thrashing, Mundine seemed content just to beat him up for 12 rounds. He toyed with Acosta too if you remember, I don't even think he meant to take him out that early in that fight. Getting 12 rounds is more useful to him in the long run than wasting him in 4 or 5.
CarltonBlues is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 06:15 AM   #92
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSTR
Its an acronym.

It stands for Bloody Useless Mundine Believers

When they use it they are secretly confirming their desires to have Mundines children.
good work...some of ya best
ashley is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:30 AM   #93
EelsRule
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

Nievas is about Thornberrys level, maybe a little higher because he could KO people. Most would agree, except (but probably only for the duration of the present debate) for the rednecks.
Calzaghes fight with Thorberry was worse because Joe was a totally established world champ at the time. It was about his 10th title fight. It was essentially Mundines 1st defense of this title. Many, most or all take an easy title defense first up. Also, Thornberry went the distance with Calzaghe.
EelsRule is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:39 AM   #94
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by EelsRule
Nievas is about Thornberrys level, maybe a little higher because he could KO people. Most would agree, except (but probably only for the duration of the present debate) for the rednecks.
Calzaghes fight with Thorberry was worse because Joe was a totally established world champ at the time. It was about his 10th title fight. It was essentially Mundines 1st defense of this title. Many, most or all take an easy title defense first up. Also, Thornberry went the distance with Calzaghe.
Tell me your joking. Thornberry had already won the Aus Light Heavy title, the IBo world title, and had challenged for the commonwealth title. He wasn't a great opponent by any stretch, but certainly better then Neivas.
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 08:29 AM   #95
HopkinsFan
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Mundine was less then impressive though no matter which way you sugar-coat it..
If Calzaghe is his next fight he will be beaten soundly.
HopkinsFan is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:34 AM   #96
oztriker
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Its an acronym.

It stands for Bloody Useless Mundine Believers

When they use it they are secretly confirming their desires to have Mundines children.

Last edited by Sim Simych; 02-04-2006 at 03:57 PM.
oztriker is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #97
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

Quote:
Originally Posted by muttley
My reply to the opponents you named was to point out how they were better than Nievas, because they had more experience than him, had more ringtime, had gone further in rounds.

And the second part of my reasoning was that Calzaghe disposed of them in appropriate fashion.

Mundine couldn't put away a fighter ranked 45th in the world who had never been past 6 rds before, and who had been dropped multiple times by previous opponents. - Kessler couldnt put away Mundine who was stopped by good ole feather fist Ottke

Put another way, how many top ranked SMWs could a fighter who had never fought past 6 rds last 12 rds with? - Nievas KO'd most of them before 6 so he must have some power

There's your differences between Nievas and the 3 Calzaghe opponents you named
Like i said the opponents i mentioned were equal to a many of JCs. I feel he is definitely equal to a few of them, you said bullshit and that's fine we both dont have any proof except for our interpretation of Boxrec

Im nitpicking again and do see your pt but i aint lettin up
teke is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:03 PM   #98
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 345

Quote:
This is your quote mate. I have just proven beyond a shadow of a doubt that his opponents are much better then Neivas, and that in your words "Neivas is MUCH WORSE". So what is your point. I am very confused. What does Salem have to do with any of this. That brainstorm is well over my head.
You haven't proven anything mate.

The point I was trying to make was that your credentials on paper don't necesarily make you a better or worse fighter. On paper Manfredo may be the "better" fighter or more known but that don't make him any better than other Calzaghe opponents' who gave Calzaghe a lot more trouble. I would pick a lot of Calzaghe' previous opponents to beat Manfredo.

The thing with a guy like a Nievas is he is an unknown, he hasn't the oppurtunity before so we can't really judge him from anything much besides what we've seen in the Mundine fight.
VIP is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:08 PM   #99
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP
You haven't proven anything mate.

The point I was trying to make was that your credentials on paper don't necesarily make you a better or worse fighter. On paper Manfredo may be the "better" fighter or more known but that don't make him any better than other Calzaghe opponents' who gave Calzaghe a lot more trouble. I would pick a lot of Calzaghe' previous opponents to beat Manfredo.

The thing with a guy like a Nievas is he is an unknown, he hasn't the oppurtunity before so we can't really judge him from anything much besides what we've seen in the Mundine fight.
That is ridiculous though. If he has struggled and lost to bums, and has never fought past the sixth round how can he possibly compare to a guy who has beaten the top ranked guys in the division?

Surely you can see that?
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:12 PM   #100
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

I can see both pts
teke is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 PM   #101
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
That is ridiculous though. If he has struggled and lost to bums, and has never fought past the sixth round how can he possibly compare to a guy who has beaten the top ranked guys in the division?

Surely you can see that?
I can see that but you're still talking about records. He can definitely compare the same way that Calzaghes' unknown opponents can compare to Manfredo.

He has one loss prior which was TD. I mean this was his big oppurtunity and from here on he will be able to get some proper fights and I don't think it's by any stretch of the imagination that when all is said and done that Neivas could be on par with a lot of Calzaghes' lesser opponents. Calzaghes' 1st title defence opponent Sobot went 5-9 for the remainder of his career.
VIP is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:33 PM   #102
MSTR
More Speed Than Roy!!!!!
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by VIP
I can see that but you're still talking about records. He can definitely compare the same way that Calzaghes' unknown opponents can compare to Manfredo.

He has one loss prior which was TD. I mean this was his big oppurtunity and from here on he will be able to get some proper fights and I don't think it's by any stretch of the imagination that when all is said and done that Neivas could be on par with a lot of Calzaghes' lesser opponents. Calzaghes' 1st title defence opponent Sobot went 5-9 for the remainder of his career.
But your words were ANY FIGHTER from JC's record I couldn't prove. Please tell me that looking at the record and from having watched Lacy, you can see from looking at the record of Neivas who is the better fighter. Even a child would have the basic insight to see that?
MSTR is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:45 PM   #103
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
But your words were ANY FIGHTER from JC's record I couldn't prove. Please tell me that looking at the record and from having watched Lacy, you can see from looking at the record of Neivas who is the better fighter. Even a child would have the basic insight to see that?

I used ANY FIGHTER to illustrate a point. Don't take everything shit too literally. And you replied that ALL of JCs' championship opponents are much better than Nievas which is not the case. JC has fought his share of bumbs, but some of the unknowns turned out to be better than expected. Obviously Lacy is one of Calzaghes better opponents.
VIP is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 07:28 PM   #104
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75
Default Re: What did you guys watch last night?

Quote:
This was also a mandatory defence.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 09:39 PM   #105
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: What did you guys watch last night?

You both have good points and there's credit in the idea that we don't know Nievas' skill level and the opponents he fought is...

I'd also go out on a limb and say we will see Nievas pop up as a challenger to someone else some time soon. Even if it's someone wanting to finish him off better than Mundine dealt with him...
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum