Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-22-2007, 07:56 PM   #31
Strike
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1667
Default Re: Scott Harison making return at 130...

On his game he would be what he is...a top level fighter who beats most, but not the elite, IMO.
Hope he comes back, it will be interesting to see how he does and I said for a long time a step up in weight will do him good in many ways but might lose him some impact due to power.....

That said he was never about one punch KOs and I think he can take that solid punching up a weight and make his pressure and aggression work. I don't think he beats the very best as I have always said but you better believe that on song he has a great chance against the overrated Guzman.
Strike is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2007, 07:57 PM   #32
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Dunky McCafferty. A couple of questions about Harrison.

First of all, I hope he's successful regarding arranging a comeback fight sooner rather than later.

A few problems Harrison will face if he does step back in the ring within the next 3-4 months.

Inactivity. Harrison hasn't fought a competitive fight since Nov, 2005. During that time span his body has matured further, and he's also two years older. How long has he been in the gym for since late 2005?. At a guess, two months at an obsolute push. Even if he does get a couple of months training under his belt, he'll not be what he was during his peak at featherweight.

The limited handspeed and foot movement Harrison had when in his prime will also have evoprated considerably. Not just with the inactivity that his body has absorbed in terms of drugs and alcohol, but also the move north to a higher weight division. Reflexes and sharpness were limited as well, so expect his defense to be more open.

Harrison boiled down to 126lbs, then when he stepped into the ring against his opponent the size difference was a major factor. Also the way Harrison fights goes hand in hand with the weight advantage he had over his foes. Aggression, punch volume, and overpowering smaller opponents. Now he won't get it so easy as he will be squaring off against fighters of a similar natural size to himself or bigger.

Sugar Ray Leonard and others who came back from long lay offs to fight in higher weight divisions had a few things going for themselves. Natural talent and adaptability. Looking over the years, aggressive fighters from the lower weights have had short careers. Erik Morales springs to mind. 30 years old, and now finished. He admitted to feeling the punches more against Pacquiao and Diaz.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 08:05 PM   #33
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by GazOC
Forgetting the problems the layoff is going to give Harrision, how do people see him performing at lightweight? I could never decide whether him being a big feather was worth the weight making. He won a lot of fights by physically dominating opponents at the cost of struggling towards the end of fights towards the end of his career. Now he's going to lose a lot of those physical advantages but presumeably be better off for stamina and general conditioning??

Personally I think he'll stuggle at the higher weight. I'm not saying it was his only atribute by any stretch but being the bigger man was a large part of his game at feather, he'll really miss it at lightweight IMHO.
Guess what Gaz my good man, its me again talking about Scotty in this thread! Damn, Im enjoying just talking about Scotty again, even though this comeback could be a disaster, its just fantastic talking about my favourite subject.

I always wanted him to move up two divisions to be honest, it was always struggle for Scotty to make the featherweight limit, & later in his career he was starting to cut easily due to his skin being dried out making the weight. Simply put, like Nicky Cook Scott wasnt healthy at featherweight. It remains to be seen how he fares at a higher weight, I havent watched any of his fights in quite a while now as I thought it was all over for him & it made me too sad to watch his fights, so I wil need to dust off the Scotty vid collection & get back to you on this one.

I leave no stone unturned when it comes to Mr Harrison you see
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #34
GazOC
Guest Star for Team Taff
East Side VIP

No worries Dunky, have fun with the vids...
GazOC is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 08:24 PM   #35
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Just to confirm, Harrison has stated he will be coming back at super-featherweight, 9st 4lbs. Just read some quotes.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 08:31 PM   #36
PrideOfWales
Winston Zedmore
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Boxing doesn't need him. Furthermore, it's better off without him. All that will happen is he'll lose the plot again. Maybe not next week, maybe not next month, but sometime in the not-too-distant future he'll be splashed across the Daily Record for beating up some ginger bloke after drinking too much Skol.
PrideOfWales is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 08:32 PM   #37
TBooze
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 301

If you are a fan of Scott Harrison accept his demons are such, he will probably never reach the heights he did as a pro boxer. Instead realise his aim should be redemption in a life time battle against the bottle.

If Harrison does not realise this, he will be looking at an early grave...
TBooze is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 08:33 PM   #38
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
Dunky McCafferty. A couple of questions about Harrison.

First of all, I hope he's successful regarding arranging a comeback fight sooner rather than later.

A few problems Harrison will face if he does step back in the ring within the next 3-4 months.

Inactivity. Harrison hasn't fought a competitive fight since Nov, 2005. During that time span his body has matured further, and he's also two years older. How long has he been in the gym for since late 2005?. At a guess, two months at an obsolute push. Even if he does get a couple of months training under his belt, he'll not be what he was during his peak at featherweight.

The limited handspeed and foot movement Harrison had when in his prime will also have evoprated considerably. Not just with the inactivity that his body has absorbed in terms of drugs and alcohol, but also the move north to a higher weight division. Reflexes and sharpness were limited as well, so expect his defense to be more open.

Harrison boiled down to 126lbs, then when he stepped into the ring against his opponent the size difference was a major factor. Also the way Harrison fights goes hand in hand with the weight advantage he had over his foes. Aggression, punch volume, and overpowering smaller opponents. Now he won't get it so easy as he will be squaring off against fighters of a similar natural size to himself or bigger.

Sugar Ray Leonard and others who came back from long lay offs to fight in higher weight divisions had a few things going for themselves. Natural talent and adaptability. Looking over the years, aggressive fighters from the lower weights have had short careers. Erik Morales springs to mind. 30 years old, and now finished. He admitted to feeling the punches more against Pacquiao and Diaz.
OK OK, I will try to answer your questions as the resident Scotty nuthugger, but you gotta remember Robbi, Im a bit out of practice, & since Scotty has gone I have lost a bit of interest in the weight divisions I thought he would be competing at! But if he comes back, I will study lightweight like you wouldnt believe & in a few weeks will tell you how Scotty could beat all the champs & contenders there. Not would, Could.

Anyway, assuming Scotty comes back. Of course he will be rusty, but I doubt he will be coming back against dangerous opposition, he will get his chance to feel his way back into boxing & his new weight.

As for Harrison having 'limited' handspeed & foot movement, I dont buy that for a second. Theres no point in debating this point further, cos I used to debate it to death back in the day when Scotty was active, & It got me nowhere. In fact, I class the harrison has no speed or footwork movement a myth perpetrated by haters.

As for jumping up in weight? We wil have to wait & see. As i said to GazOC, Scotty was killing himself to mke featherweight, & by the end you could see it was affecting his performances. He was weight drained, & it showed. Moving up will give him even more strength, & he wont cut like he was doing at the end of his featherweight days, & he will have more gas in the tank. I cant see any disadvantages with Scotty moving on up.

As for Erik Morales, he was having wars for years, due to the elite level he often competed at that probably depleted him. Scotty was never in a war, if anyone traded he blew them away. Scotty only had trouble with runners who stole fights jabbing & running. So fightwise Harrison isnt shopworn like Morales, but thats not trying to take away from Morales, cos hes fought for years at a level Scotty truly hasnt tasted yet.

It remains to be seen the toll drink has taken on Scott. But look at dare I say it Ricky Hatton & Michael Gomez, both of them enjoy a good bucket between fights & they are still able to fight. You have to remember, Scotty was drinking hard while he was winning in the last few fights before he had his short retirement. So its not as if Scotty was only winning cos he was clean living.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:36 PM   #39
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Just to confirm, Harrison has stated he will be coming back at super-featherweight, 9st 4lbs. Just read some quotes.
If so, then I stand corrected. But watching the news clips I am sure they said Scotty was coming back at lightweight.

My pal will be uploading the vids tomorrow, so we shall find out for sure just where Scotty will be campaigning. Im keeping my fingers crossed for lightweight, but super-feather wont be a disaster, cos theres tastier fight there.
Old 10-22-2007, 09:31 PM   #40
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
OK OK, I will try to answer your questions as the resident Scotty nuthugger, but you gotta remember Robbi, Im a bit out of practice, & since Scotty has gone I have lost a bit of interest in the weight divisions I thought he would be competing at! But if he comes back, I will study lightweight like you wouldnt believe & in a few weeks will tell you how Scotty could beat all the champs & contenders there. Not would, Could.

Anyway, assuming Scotty comes back. Of course he will be rusty, but I doubt he will be coming back against dangerous opposition, he will get his chance to feel his way back into boxing & his new weight.

As for Harrison having 'limited' handspeed & foot movement, I dont buy that for a second. Theres no point in debating this point further, cos I used to debate it to death back in the day when Scotty was active, & It got me nowhere. In fact, I class the harrison has no speed or footwork movement a myth perpetrated by haters.

As for jumping up in weight? We wil have to wait & see. As i said to GazOC, Scotty was killing himself to mke featherweight, & by the end you could see it was affecting his performances. He was weight drained, & it showed. Moving up will give him even more strength, & he wont cut like he was doing at the end of his featherweight days, & he will have more gas in the tank. I cant see any disadvantages with Scotty moving on up.

As for Erik Morales, he was having wars for years, due to the elite level he often competed at that probably depleted him. Scotty was never in a war, if anyone traded he blew them away. Scotty only had trouble with runners who stole fights jabbing & running. So fightwise Harrison isnt shopworn like Morales, but thats not trying to take away from Morales, cos hes fought for years at a level Scotty truly hasnt tasted yet.

It remains to be seen the toll drink has taken on Scott. But look at dare I say it Ricky Hatton & Michael Gomez, both of them enjoy a good bucket between fights & they are still able to fight. You have to remember, Scotty was drinking hard while he was winning in the last few fights before he had his short retirement. So its not as if Scotty was only winning cos he was clean living.
A nuthugger post if i have ever seen one. Especially your response on Harrison's speed of hand and foot. Never been in a war?. He certainly looked like he had taken a few punches throughout the back and forth battle with Polo over 12 rounds. Infact, he pretty much looked like the elephant man when awaiting the decision. And he looked a little worse for wear after Medina comfortably outboxed him. Again, his features resembling the elephant man.

Having a few pints of Guinesss and getting drunk on the odd occassion is a bit different from Harrison's situation. Reports in the media confirmed Harrison turned up at the press conference in Belfast half cut and smelling of drink to announce his fight with Joan Guzman. And the drink has hit him so bad in the past his motivation to train has been drastically effected. The Priory, nuff said.

Stealing fights?. Thats what you call boxing, and a jigsaw which was thrown in front of Harrison he simply couldn't solve. Harrison's foot movement and inability to close the distance does him no favours with slick movers.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 09:49 PM   #41
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
A nuthugger post if i have ever seen one. Especially your response on Harrison's speed of hand and foot. Never been in a war?. He certainly looked like he had taken a few punches throughout the back and forth battle with Polo over 12 rounds. Infact, he pretty much looked like the elephant man when awaiting the decision. And he looked a little worse for wear after Medina comfortably outboxed him. Again, his features resembling the elephant man.

Having a few pints of Guinesss and getting drunk on the odd occassion is a bit different from Harrison's situation. Reports in the media confirmed Harrison turned up at the press conference in Belfast half cut and smelling of drink to announce his fight with Joan Guzman. And the drink has hit him so bad in the past his motivation to train has been drastically effected. The Priory, nuff said.

Stealing fights?. Thats what you call boxing, and a jigsaw which was thrown in front of Harrison he simply couldn't solve. Harrison's foot movement and inability to close the distance does him no favours with slick movers.

just when I thought the days of arguments like this were over, scottys back, & so are the haters
Now this is what makes me feel human again on ESB, & Im loving it! Bring on all the 'Polo schooled him' shit, cos dare I say it, I ended up missing arguing these points!

As for me being a true harrison nuthugger Robbi? You BETTER believe it

The show is back on the road for now, & Im loving every minute of it
Once I have came down from my Scotty Harrison high Robbi, I'll deal with you properly. For now? Its like I have just stepped out of a time machine to two years ago, & all the Scotty fun is back in my life, Im like a kid in a candy store, wean in a sweetie shop etc etc etc, & im gonna get some serious toothache whilst I can
Old 10-22-2007, 09:53 PM   #42
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Seriously folks, a successful Scotty Harrison comeback would mean more to me than Scotland beating Italy & going to the european championships. No kidding. Just so people know what this would mean to me.
Old 10-22-2007, 10:10 PM   #43
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Tell me all about Harrison's great speed of hand and foot.

And instead of responding to my points you come away with "Once I have came down from my Scotty Harrison high Robbi, I'll deal with you properly" Laughable to say the least.

You are even admitting your a Harrison nuthugger, and your responses and unrealistic views support such a statement. A nuthugger definition: Someone who doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and has biased views towards their fighter, and likes to think their "favourite" one can do more inside the ring than they actually can.

Ive noticed you have been so hung up about Harrison's return you have stated he will return at lightweight, when he's actually campaining at super-featherweight in the future. Get the facts right as well Dunk.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 10-22-2007, 10:24 PM   #44
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Tell me all about Harrison's great speed of hand and foot.

And instead of responding to my points you come away with "Once I have came down from my Scotty Harrison high Robbi, I'll deal with you properly" Laughable to say the least.

You are even admitting your a Harrison nuthugger, and your responses and unrealistic views support such a statement. A nuthugger definition: Someone who doesn't see the light at the end of the tunnel, and has biased views towards their fighter, and likes to think their "favourite" one can do more inside the ring than they actually can.

Ive always noticed you have been so hung up about Harrison's return you have stated he will return at lightweight, when he's actually campaining at super-featherweight. Get the facts right as well Dunk.
Oh for goodness sake Robbi, cant you see Im too happy tonight to get into a heated Harrison debate? For all we know it could come to nothing, Im just trying to enjoy the moment & you are bothering me with pseudo intellectual posts.

Relax Robbi, & just wish the teak tough tartan terror some luck in his bid to come back & turn his life around. All this 'Harrison is a rubbish fighter' & 'you arent getting your factual facts right' stuff can wait until he actually comes back, until then theres not much point going over old ground.

Im just happy my favourite fighter is coming back, is that such a crime?

In fact, dont answer that one, as I can sense you are on the warpath with me. & your boy Dunky is too happy at the moment to be sucked into a war of words by some old ESB sparring partner bearing a grudge
Old 10-23-2007, 03:26 AM   #45
The Jackal
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 86

Great to hear the good news of a possible ring retrurn for Harrison.
I hope he can get his career and life back up to where, or near where it was before it sadly nosedived.
He could do away with all the bad press he gets by just getting on with his proffesion and winning back the hearts of the fans again with his exploits inside the ring, and keeping his personal life out of the limelight .
In his day if he was fighting i was watching and will do so again win lose or draw,so i hope he's back and he means business.
Because if you've been around here for awhile you know ESB is a more intersting place with the Scotty and Dunky show in full swing.
The Jackal is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum