Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 07-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #31
smokin_joe
Journeyman

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Dana White thinks boxing will go away

2 comments bothered me the most. The first was how he talked about the amateur system in boxing is being drained. That's a ridiculous comment as you can look at both Olympic boxers and Golden Gloves being a strong feeder system into the professional ranks. Compare that with UFC where it's a hodgepodge of ex-wrestlers and kick boxers. Specifically training for MMA is extremely young and well behind boxing. For him to make that comment is short sighted and self-serving.
Another was his comments on how boxers from Europe are world champions now and that would have never happened in the past. If he was a boxing fan, he would've known that some of the best fighters in the world have always been European. Also, the demise of the Soviet Union exposed a lot talented, highly motivated boxers to the world at large. Also, if he did follow boxing, he'll know that there are a lot of talented American boxers.
smokin_joe is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2010, 03:59 AM   #32
scurlaruntings
ESB 2002 Club
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokin_joe View Post
2 comments bothered me the most. The first was how he talked about the amateur system in boxing is being drained. That's a ridiculous comment as you can look at both Olympic boxers and Golden Gloves being a strong feeder system into the professional ranks. Compare that with UFC where it's a hodgepodge of ex-wrestlers and kick boxers. Specifically training for MMA is extremely young and well behind boxing. For him to make that comment is short sighted and self-serving.
Another was his comments on how boxers from Europe are world champions now and that would have never happened in the past. If he was a boxing fan, he would've known that some of the best fighters in the world have always been European. Also, the demise of the Soviet Union exposed a lot talented, highly motivated boxers to the world at large. Also, if he did follow boxing, he'll know that there are a lot of talented American boxers.
For Dana its all about Viral marketing. As long as he's saying stupid shit he gets people talking about him and his product. Whatever means he does to do this doesnt matter to him.

Firstly MMA doesnt have an amateur system. Its NEVER going to be sanctioned by the IOC you can bet your life on that. Secondly the UFC has no feeder orgs other than the WEC which are for its lower divisions. Its talent comes from a broad spectrum.
scurlaruntings is offline  Top
Old 07-19-2010, 12:59 PM   #33
Sloth
Contender
ESB Senior Member

There goes Dana again spoting nonesense. MMA (in America) would die out before boxing.
Sloth is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-2010, 02:42 AM   #34
Dave_j1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Speaking from an Australian point of view, boxing is in bad shape here. MMA is growing fast, and alot of people are talking about it and the rise of George Sotiropolous (I'm sure that I spelt that wrong but anyway) is only making the fan base here stronger. The mainstream media that only months ago was bashing the sport is now getting behind it and MMA gyms are popping up everywhere. The average person on the streets knows who the UFC heavyweight champ is, most people couldn't name ANY heavyweight boxer.

The main reason for the degeneration pg boxing here is not lack of talent, but the misplacement of the attention. Katsidis and Darchinyan, both fantastic, exiting fighters and legit world champions rarely get a mention in the media compared to bums like Mundine and Green who fight guys who couldn't carry their fight shorts.

It comes down to the problems with boxing, that boxing fans have known for years (too many weight divisions, alphabet titles ect), people want combat sports but boxing is simply too hard to follow, too many belts, too many greedy fighters scared of losing the 0. UFC simply offers an alternative to the confusion of boxing. Granted alot of MMA fans in Australia don't know MMA outside of the UFC, they simply don't care, and for the most part MMA outside of the UFC isn't THAT relavent. The UFC champions are all arguably the best in their divisions anyway.

Sorry about the long post but just giving you my perspective from where I'm sitting!
Dave_j1985 is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2010, 08:49 PM   #35
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

^

The UFC's 'global expansion' can only get so big because they have to run shows on a consistent basis overseas when their big market will always be North America. They've been in Europe for a few years and haven't taken over anything. Everything has to be micro-managed by Dana and Lorenzo. Consequently, its also ironic that while the UFC expands into foreign markets they also try to destroy other potential regional promoters.

With that said, Australia should be ashamed of their current boxing scene, its a joke.

Edit:

How well did those recent MMA 'Impact' cards do (the Shamrock card and the one before it), was it shown on tv/press (it was PPV here in n.a.)?
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2010, 09:02 PM   #36
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

If Dana White outlives the sport of boxing, I will kill him myself.
IntentionalButt is offline  Top
Old 07-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #37
sugarngold
RIDDUM
East Side Guru

vCash: 157

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntentionalButt View Post
If Dana White outlives the sport of boxing, I will kill him myself.
lol

"Oh delicious."

<-------------
sugarngold is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 01:25 AM   #38
Dave_j1985
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post
^

The UFC's 'global expansion' can only get so big because they have to run shows on a consistent basis overseas when their big market will always be North America. They've been in Europe for a few years and haven't taken over anything. Everything has to be micro-managed by Dana and Lorenzo. Consequently, its also ironic that while the UFC expands into foreign markets they also try to destroy other potential regional promoters.

With that said, Australia should be ashamed of their current boxing scene, its a joke.

Edit:

How well did those recent MMA 'Impact' cards do (the Shamrock card and the one before it), was it shown on tv/press (it was PPV here in n.a.)?
UFC has only had one event here (the second fastest selling show in UFC history) but the more popular the brand comes the stronger the MMA scene will become. ATM though it's all about UFC, very casual fans but bucket loads of them.

The Impact cards did very poorly, but alot of that has to do with the ticket pricing, from what I've heard they were more expensive than UFC tickets! Not sure what kind of PPV buy rate they got. The local CFC cards with local talent and occasionally overseas guys (Hector Lombard often fights on these cards) do very well from what I can tell.

Yes our boxing scene is a joke (Green v Briggs comes to mind), but in saying that there are talented guys here but the problem is all the attention goes to ex-football players thinking they can become great boxers. I can only hope they don't decide to become MMA fighter's and ruin the integrity of another sport.
Dave_j1985 is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 05:11 AM   #39
smokin_joe
Journeyman

The beauty of boxing is that it just takes one man for the sport to become extremely popular. It is difficult, no doubt about that, but one talented, charismatic boxer and an entire country is mesmerized. Everyone thinks I'm talking about Manny, which certainly fits that role, but look at Acelino Freitas at the height of his career. He comes from a country that produces a ton of known MMA fighters, but he was far more popular at the height of his career than Belfort or Anderson Silva.
To the Australians, it might seem bad right now, but another Kosta Tszyu might be around the corner.
smokin_joe is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 03:10 PM   #40
Flyin Ryan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 899

I don't agree with most here. Boxing is only going to continue to wither compared to UFC until those problems "that have been known to boxing fans for a long time" get fixed.

So stop saying what the problem is and start focusing on how to fix it. It's going to take the commissions, promoters, fans, and TV broadcast partners to do it. Honest to God, why aren't there any RICO investigations into the orgs or some promoters by this point?

I look at the Povetkin bullsh*t with Wlad for example. If a fighter did that in the UFC, I think Dana would fire him on the spot, and I'd cheer him for doing so because of how the fighter spit in the face of the fans. Dana's an asshole but he can be a good asshole. To paint the cultural difference in clear terms, there's a title fight for Anderson Silva coming up with Chael Sonnen. Silva's cleaned out the middleweight division and Sonnen's next in line with some good wins stacked up in a row against contenders, plus it's a fresh matchup. Sonnen in my mind has zero chance to beat Anderson unless he gets incredibly lucky, but he's talking the game and is ready to fight. If this were boxing, Sonnen would run away never taking the fight while saying Anderson ducked him because he wasn't getting a 50/50 purse split.

Quote:
The Impact cards did very poorly, but alot of that has to do with the ticket pricing, from what I've heard they were more expensive than UFC tickets! Not sure what kind of PPV buy rate they got. The local CFC cards with local talent and occasionally overseas guys (Hector Lombard often fights on these cards) do very well from what I can tell.
I watched the Impact card on a stream, it had a few good fights on it (Kang-Filho, Carlos Newton fight from the week prior was very entertaining, May-Ninja Rua). The main event was incredibly anti-climactic just because Ken Shamrock (lost to Pedro Rizzo) should not be fighting, but he's broke and needs the money.

Guy I listen to for MMA coverage just rolled his eyes for the whole Impact show though. He said ahead of time they'd lose their shirt because PPVs are stupid for a company unless you have TV coverage to promote it.
Flyin Ryan is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 04:14 PM   #41
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

^ Sonnen would be a no name in boxing just like he is in MMA, he would jump at the chance to fight for the championship in either sport.

Speaking of Anderson, I haven't seen many things more embarrassing in any combat sports then his displays against Lietes and Maia, and this is from MMA's P4P best. If this was boxing you would never see Anderson headline another PPV against another possibly over matched opponent in whats likely to be another shitfest only a few months after the Maia debacle. Then again most UFC fans are brainless zombies.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 04:54 PM   #42
Flyin Ryan
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 899

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post
^ Sonnen would be a no name in boxing just like he is in MMA, he would jump at the chance to fight for the championship in either sport.
Good. That's what he should do. He's displaying more balls than Alexander Povetkin and David Haye.

Quote:
Speaking of Anderson, I haven't seen many things more embarrassing in any combat sports then his displays against Lietes and Maia, and this is from MMA's P4P best.
Agree with you entirely.

Quote:
If this was boxing you would never see Anderson headline another PPV against another possibly over matched opponent in whats likely to be another shitfest only a few months after the Maia debacle. Then again most UFC fans are brainless zombies.
Mike Tyson says hi and asks if you'd like some ear. He was on plenty of PPVs afterward (including fighting Lennox for the world title).

Besides man, we're only a day removed from a $50 PPV where a guy got knocked out in 29 seconds from a grazing jab after being retired for three years and had brain problems, and all indications are this was fixed from the get-go due to the bookies getting a ton of money bet on a Round 1 KO, and this was in a sanctioned world boxing championship match. And you're going to say Anderson outclassing a substitute fighter (the original match was Vitor Belfort who got injured, Maia was available) was an outrage compared to that? I think that's a display of just a shade of bias on the matter. If you want to make your argument you stated, fine, I can laugh at it other times just as well as I do now, but in light of recent events, your argument doesn't hold any water. When something like that happens in Strikeforce, let alone the UFC, call me.
Flyin Ryan is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 06:50 PM   #43
RSBonos
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I don't think boxing should be responsible for the Aussies, its more like the wild west of mediocrity and thankfully nobody cares outside a few hardcore fans. If you want to go that low I can always counter with Takada, Kimbo etc etc.

But you pegged me right, I am biased, because im sick of hearing how the UFC is some righteous promotion, and anyone taking Dana White's opinion seriously should be automatically shot down...his ignorant comments have managed to make the front page of Yahoo. Even though ive heard it for years, this sort of rhetoric still pisses me off.
RSBonos is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2010, 12:29 AM   #44
Atlanta
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 528

Dana White talks out of his ass. Boxing is world wide, UFC is North America, nuff said.
Atlanta is offline  Top
Old 07-23-2010, 12:46 AM   #45
IntentionalButt
Nash Equilibrium Debunker
East Side VIP

vCash: 32000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlanta View Post
Dana White talks out of his ass. Boxing is world wide, UFC is North America, nuff said.
The UK seems to be getting into it.

And apparently MMA is snowballing in Australia.

Other than that, though - you're right. Boxing is probably as global a sport as you'll find behind soccer. MMA will never penetrate the Latin American market in a manner anything like boxing (although there has been an influx of Hispanic interest and talents in recent years: see Bellator).
IntentionalButt is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum