Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-26-2010, 05:59 PM   #61
Sox
Hangin with the real deal
East Side Guru

vCash: 1044
Default Re: Mundine v Waters - Is it the lift Aussie boxing needs??

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
I know I wont talk the fight up however could easy be lynched if I mention "its going to be an interesting night" so deals off...no gay avatars
That's not gay, he's applying sun screen.
Sox is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2010, 08:34 PM   #62
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Just like the proposed avatar, didn't see that coming.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2010, 04:07 AM   #63
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
I know I wont talk the fight up however could easy be lynched if I mention "its going to be an interesting night" so deals off...no gay avatars

So do I take that as a "Im gonna ***** out of the bet because Im not confident enough that my urges for Choc wont get the better of me..." ?
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 07-27-2010, 04:29 AM   #64
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm View Post
So do I take that as a "Im gonna ***** out of the bet because Im not confident enough that my urges for Choc wont get the better of me..." ?
I guess you could say that
ashley is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2010, 09:07 PM   #65
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

...this article from the Fiji Times seems to be a knock-off from a few other recent articles and then some colouring in applied. But it still makes some valid points, like:

'How can Will Tomlinson, one of the most promising fighters in the land and about to make it big, convince a gun-shy Australian public when the time comes that they should take a chance on him given the current evidence available? They won't, and a whole generation of fighters are about to pay that price'.

Full article below:

A low blow for fans

Fiji Times - Newscore - August 2nd 2010
TWO weeks after Danny Green brought boxing to its knees, Anthony Mundine moves in for the killer blow.

How long Australian fight fans continue to be asked to buy in to these fight farces, which in terms of credibility are one small step up from the fight fix, is anyone's guess.

Most fight fans left the game for good last week, no longer able to muster the enthusiasm for another sting in the pocket like the Green-Briggs fight in Perth.

Who can afford it any more?

If I want to give my money away in the future, it won't be on a sham fight on Main Event.

I can get a lot better ride with my $50 at Randwick. Even if I opt to find it with a blindfold and a loose toss of a dart in the general direction of the bookie's stand.

The races last at least a minute there, twice as long as last week's farce, and even if your $50 does finish in the bookie's bag you can still marvel at the brilliance of a So You Think or Typhoon Tracy.

Mundine and Green have broken faith with the people they need most. The fans.

They're the ones who dip into their pocket, often with money they can ill afford, to pay another $50 for a fight that isn't a fight. The undercards are often as bad.

Manny Siaca was pulled out of rehab _ yes, rehab _ to fight Green after just 11 rounds in four years.

Siaca did all that was expected of him. He lasted a few rounds and then he took the count on his knee to end it in the third.

The crowd was disappointed but, don't worry, Green promised he would make it up to them in his next fight. Enter Paul Briggs.

After Briggs was pronounced DOA, Green said Briggs "dogged it" and wouldn't be paid. Yet when asked by a Channel 7 reporter if he would give the money back, Green _ who has that right as the promoter _ ducked the question.

The same when the reporter asked it again. So who keeps Briggs' purse?

The promoter? Who is Green.

I wouldn't be surprised if Green retires now. How many more times can he put the hard hat on and mine our pockets? Who else is left?

Mundine has been paying for it for some time, with his pay-per-view fights not attracting anywhere near the subscriptions they once did.

But hey, it's better than real work, right? With each fight he still earns more than the average NRL first grader so he is happy to continue on his way for less bruises than he'd suffer against the Rabbitohs.

No wonder then _ after the larceny in Perth _ Mundine took just five days to come out and announce his next fight will be against Ryan Waters, a small slugger from Caringbah currently ranked, according to respected website boxrec, fourth among Australia's junior middleweights.

And don't tell me he is ranked No.7 in the WBA. I don't pay attention to official bodies because just a quick Google search will show a rich history of rankings being bought.

The Mundine-Waters fight was organised weeks ago. Its announcement was held back so it wouldn't have to compete with media space designated to Green-Briggs.

When Waters stormed the ring after Mundine beat Carlos Jerez, they had already basically agreedon terms. Boxing people I know swear to me that when Waters fronted Mundine, he whispered to him "I'm gonna push you" moments before he shoved Waters away for having the temerity to challenge him.

So Mundine is taking on Australia's No.4, two fights after saying he struggled to find the motivation for these kind of fights, as he had then against Robert Medley _ who is Australia's No.3.

I wouldn't buy this Mundine-Waters fight with your money.

In fact, fight fans need a ratings system to identify the genuine fights from the one-sided contests we are being asked to fork out for now.

So, without further adieu, call it a public service announcement:

Not even with your money. They should be wearing a mask to even ask for the subscription. Only if you find the money down the back of the lounge.

Good fight on a quiet day.

If you can't get to the pub to watch it, promise the wife a night out if she lets you watch just this one.

Steal money from kids' college fund if you have to, the wife won't find out it until it's too late. Mundine-Waters is a one star fight.

Waters will be hard pressed to win a round, and Mundine should stop him. If he can find the motivation missing against Medley.

The tragedy of this is the people who will pay the price for the actions of the Greens and Mundines will be the young Aussie fighters trying now to break through.

How can Will Tomlinson, one of the most promising fighters in the land and about to make it big, convince a gun-shy Australian public when the time comes that they should take a chance on him given the current evidence available?

They won't, and a whole generation of fighters are about to pay that price.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2010, 09:31 PM   #66
RAB2204

This looks like a great card to me!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
RAB2204 is offline  Top
Old 08-01-2010, 10:09 PM   #67
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAB2204 View Post
This looks like a great card to me!!!

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
It's got some potential by the list of names RAB - but it depends entirely on who they match them up with.

The main event is already a disappointment, but sounds like they might have a good opponent in their sights for Leapai.

On the bright side, it's gotta end up being a better card than the disgrace they put up on June 30th (Leapai vs Walker excepted).
Old 08-02-2010, 01:31 AM   #68
boxon123
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Has looked for a while like it'd be Waters - but seems set now:

Waters targets Cotto - Plotting next move after Mundine

By Ray Wheatley (World of Boxing 19th July 2010)

WBA #7, WBO #5 154 pounder Ryan Waters (20-2-2, 12 KOs) is looking to upset WBA #2 Anthony Mundine (39-3, 22 KOs) when they clash in September at Wollongong Entertainment Center in NSW, Australia.

Waters would then set his sights on the WBA champion Miguel Cotto for the title. Waters trainer and manager David Birchell is excited that Waters will get an opportunity to defeat Mundine.

“That would be special,” Birchell said. ”This fight could lead to very big things for Ryan, including a world title shot with Miguel Cotto. We’re really looking forward to it. Ryan is training well, don’t worry, we’ll have the game plan and Anthony knows Ryan well enough from sparring against him that he’ll turn up to fight.”

Mundine is hoping a win will get him a shot at Cotto and then a mega fight with Floyd Mayweather, Jr.

*Good work Ray but can't help laughing at the last line. When are people going to finally wake up, and stop believing this charade?
Would everyone on this site have a look at Ryan Waters record and decide whether you will pay $50 to see this . This is not meant to belittle Waters but Mundine is just getting worse and worse.
boxon123 is online now  Top
Old 08-02-2010, 01:44 AM   #69
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

i just hope alex fights. mundine is finished.
sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #70
Karam
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Could be a good card, wouldnt pay $50 to watch though.
Karam is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2010, 02:18 AM   #71
Bobby Sinn
Bulimba Bullant
ESB Addict

Just a querie...

If both Mandy and Waters are rated top 10 in the disgustingly pathetic WBA, then why are these two clowns fighting for the WBA International Title???? Im of the understanding all Bullshit belts are limited to fighters outside of the top 10?

Waters may be a good bloke, but **** him and anyone associated with the continuing lining of Mandy's filthy pockets.
Bobby Sinn is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2010, 02:20 AM   #72
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
Just a querie...

If both Mandy and Waters are rated top 10 in the disgustingly pathetic WBA, then why are these two clowns fighting for the WBA International Title???? Im of the understanding all Bullshit belts are limited to fighters outside of the top 10?

Waters may be a good bloke, but **** him and anyone associated with the continuing lining of Mandy's filthy pockets.

great point!
sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #73
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby Sinn View Post
Just a querie...

Trying to apply logic mate? - big mistake, huge!

according to BoxRec:

'vacant WBA International light middleweight title - Title TBC'

The TBC likely stands for To-Be-Confirmed - but in this day and age perhaps it's just another new organisation?

If it is in fact To-Be-Confirmed, what's the bet it won't be, and who'd really care?
Old 08-02-2010, 05:30 PM   #74
Dexter

Has either Mundine or Waters been quizzed by the Australian media about that nonsense in the ring last month? From what i've seen on here, so far, neither seem to have been challenged?
Dexter is offline  Top
Old 08-02-2010, 05:36 PM   #75
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dexter View Post
Has either Mundine or Waters been quizzed by the Australian media about that nonsense in the ring last month? From what i've seen on here, so far, neither seem to have been challenged?
It was a big stuff up however end of the day almost everybody involved knows a ring call out will happen before it does.
ashley is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum