Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 10-23-2007, 06:04 AM   #1
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

vCash: 509
Default The Ring (Mag)

Does anyone here buy the Magazine "The Ring"?
I have started to get it lately, but havnt seen the latest at the newsagent.
I know the stuff is like 4 months old, but i dont mind the read.
Robot16 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 AM   #2
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Location: "always take the arrows in the forhead, never in the back"
vCash: 525
Default Re: The Ring (Mag)

i buy it every now and then ...i got heaps from late 80's to mid 90's...my favourite is the mavin hagler tommy hearns war issue after they fought and the 1 where j.c.chavez made the cover 4 the first time...
stuistylee is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 AM   #3
ozziebattler
Shadow Boxer
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

I usually get the fist mag..aussie mag.

Im not paying 20bucks for a outdated ring mag so i just stand at the newsagency like a cheapass and read it.
ozziebattler is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:32 AM   #4
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

My first one was with JC Chavez on the cover circa 89 or 90, and didn't miss too many issues from then until 98. Have a box load from about 96 onwards I recently opened and am reading a few, some of the articles can be quite funny in hindsight.
I just bought the Nov 07 issue for $24.50, have to say am not super impressed to be paying that price for a magazine thats arrived by sea. Do they still print KO, World Boxing, Boxing Illustrated, International Boxing Digest or what would be today Boxing '07? Hard to believe there were that many back then, surely some are still around?
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 07:05 AM   #5
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Anyone interested in selling some of their old mags? I love them.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 07:27 AM   #6
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

i have a subscription but i am not going to renew it - by the time i get it i have read every story, stat and opinion known to man on this board!
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 07:31 AM   #7
Super_Fly_Sam
Aus Boxer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 900

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonMcS
My first one was with JC Chavez on the cover circa 89 or 90, and didn't miss too many issues from then until 98. Have a box load from about 96 onwards I recently opened and am reading a few, some of the articles can be quite funny in hindsight.
I just bought the Nov 07 issue for $24.50, have to say am not super impressed to be paying that price for a magazine thats arrived by sea. Do they still print KO, World Boxing, Boxing Illustrated, International Boxing Digest or what would be today Boxing '07? Hard to believe there were that many back then, surely some are still around?
i think the main boxing mags goin in Aus today is The Fist and World Of Boxing...

there both pretty good but i useually just get World Of Boxing coz it has a section with some of the news from the Amateur boxing
Super_Fly_Sam is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 07:33 AM   #8
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super_Fly_Sam
i think the main boxing mags goin in Aus today is The Fist and World Of Boxing...

there both pretty good but i useually just get World Of Boxing coz it has a section with some of the news from the Amateur boxing
the fist isnt half bad

they ran an awesome story on sonni michael angelo a few months back that was a great read; he has lead a very tough life. Kinda reminded me of the story of Edison Miranda
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 09:10 AM   #9
Robot16
Keep it Kr0nkn
ESB Addict

vCash: 509

Quote:
Whoa, thats alot of mags, yeah i just started getting them from last year.
Some articles are pretty good, i dont get it for the results cos we already know them lol.
Robot16 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 08:56 PM   #10
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Yeah, I basically bought every mag available for nearly a decade. Had the Fist from the very first issue when Grantlee Kieza first published it, guess its fair to say the scene was pretty healthy back then. Half the challenge nowadays is finding somewhere that stocks it.
I do remember the Ring seemed to double in price at one stage, was paying $7 or $8 then the next issue came out with a $16 price tag. Now that its over $20 I'm finding it hard to justify buying it, especially when its so stale.
I'll have a look through all my back issues and see if theres any I want to part with, don't think I have any before 95 as I'm pretty sure I left them all in Melbourne when I moved West. Spewing cos I had every issue after Douglas beat Tyson, am sure they might be worth a bit. Do remember taking out a Douglas poster and putting it on my dartboard for a year. The follies of youth.
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 10:32 PM   #11
stuistylee
j.c.chavez superstar
ESB Senior Member

Location: "always take the arrows in the forhead, never in the back"
vCash: 525

Quote:
Yeah, I basically bought every mag available for nearly a decade. Had the Fist from the very first issue when Grantlee Kieza first published it, guess its fair to say the scene was pretty healthy back then. Half the challenge nowadays is finding somewhere that stocks it.
I do remember the Ring seemed to double in price at one stage, was paying $7 or $8 then the next issue came out with a $16 price tag. Now that its over $20 I'm finding it hard to justify buying it, especially when its so stale.
I'll have a look through all my back issues and see if theres any I want to part with, don't think I have any before 95 as I'm pretty sure I left them all in Melbourne when I moved West. Spewing cos I had every issue after Douglas beat Tyson, am sure they might be worth a bit. Do remember taking out a Douglas poster and putting it on my dartboard for a year. The follies of youth.
yeh man i got the first fist...do u remmember that mag, i think it was called pacific boxer...i think the first issue had jeff harding on a blue background and it was like world of boxing in the way it was made except glossy cover
stuistylee is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 03:58 AM   #12
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Don't remember Pacific Boxer but going through all of mine today found another one called Australian Boxing News (bet they stayed up all night thinking of that name) and also a British one I used to buy called Boxing Monthly.

Issues I have;

RING '95 April-July, Sep-Dec
RING '96 Feb, June, Sep, Nov, also Winter & Holiday issue.
RING '97 Jan-Feb, April-Nov, Holiday
RING '98 Feb-May, Aug

Also the 75th Anniversary Edition with Poster, and Two of the 'big fight color specials', ie a big arse poster with a write up on the back, #1 Holyfield-Foreman & #7 Tyson-Bruno II.

KO '95 July-Oct, Winter
KO '96 Feb, Winter
KO '98 May

WORLD BOXING '95 June-Dec (From memory every 2nd month)
WORLD BOXING '96 June & Winter (2 issues of each, 2nd free to good home for p&p), Fall
WORLD BOXING '97 Fall, Spring, Summer
WORLD BOXING '98 Spring

BOXING MONTHLY '97 Mar-May, July-Sep

BOXING 96 March, July (Every 2nd month)
BOXING 97 Mar-Sep

BOXING ILLUSTRATED '95 April-Aug
BOXING ILLUSTRATED '96 Feb, March, June, Aug-Dec
BOXING ILLUSTRATED '97 Feb-April, June-Sep (Extra issue of Feb 97, free to good home for p&p)

Also a Sports Illustrated from Sep 96 celebrating the 25th anniversary of Ali-Frazier and a 108 page Ring Special all about Tyson.

Heres the three issues up for grabs.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 04:03 AM   #13
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

LeonMcS is offline  Top