Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 07-22-2010, 06:57 AM   #1
Da_Hurricane_Briggs
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 1000
Default IBO Mandatorys?

Am I right in saying the IBO doesnt have mandatory challengers.

I think i rememeber either Calzaghe or Hatton saying in their books that thats why alot of the big names like the IBO belts because they are not mandatory defences.

Coz that would explain how Green continues to fight tomato cans
Da_Hurricane_Briggs is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2010, 07:27 AM   #2
T.C.W
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: IBO Mandatorys?

they do not do mandatorys, there a joke. anybody can get a title shot, If they can give the ok to a world title fight with a fighter who has not had a fight in over 3 years. Anybody can get a world title shot with IBO, why not the guy who sonny bill williams knocked out.
T.C.W is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #3
Likatiga
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

vCash: 500

Clearly there would not be a lot boxers that would want to travel to Australia to fight and then fight a bloke that has beaten from pretty classy fighters in the past. Green can only beat opponets that want to fight him. The IBO title is not seen as the most prestigious out there.
Likatiga is offline  Top
Old 07-22-2010, 07:57 AM   #4
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

I think Phil Austin left this forum because he was so embarrassed that everyone here knew he was a yes man for the IBO and their nonsense. He couldn't continue to post with that stain hanging over his posting career.
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 12:26 AM   #5
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Some interesting views here on a few areas including the IBO. Only one man's views but worth the read:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

an extract from the article:

Danny Green's belt comes from the International Boxing Organisation (IBO) which operates out of offices in Florida. One of the newer world boxing authorities (it came along between the IBF and the WBF – or it might have been the IBA, it definitely had an B in it) it describes itself as "The Champion of Integrity".

What sets the IBO apart from the older, more recognised bodies such as the WBA, is that it doesn't rely on a committee of experts to work out its rankings. It uses a computer. A computer that never says, "Are you out of your mind?" which is how Paul Briggs was able to fight for a world title last week.

See, every month the WBA committee members sit down and work out who they think are the top 10 boxers who fight under their banner. For the No.10 fighter to move up the ranks he must challenge the No.9 fighter and beat him, and so on up the ladder. The world champion must fight the No.1 or No.2-ranked fighter within nine months of his past defence.

The IBO doesn't work like that. It doesn't have its own rankings per se. Instead it feeds the details of everyone from all the organisations, from WBA to WBZ, into the computer. The IBO world champion then picks who he wants to fight from the top 35 ranked contenders, pays the IBO a fee of around $20,000 plus airfares and accommodation for IBO judges and a supervisor and everyone's a winner. Except for the loser of course – although with $200,000 for 29 seconds work, Paul Briggs might disagree.

But wait, I hear you cry. Even feeding his excellent past record into the computer, how could Briggs possibly be in the top 35 contenders when he hadn't fought for three years?

Excellent point, and one which I went to the very top to clear up. Unfortunately the president of the IBO, Edward S. Levine, was on vacation and unavailable and the vice-president, his son, Jeremy D. Levine, was on his way back from Perth where he had been supervisor of the fight. But I did receive a prompt reply from the assistant to the president, Maria Canizares, who advised that the challenger can be ranked between 36 and 50 as long as "he has not lost his last fight, not lost any two of his last four fights by knockout and has a positive record in his last six fights".

And then the whammy, the $200,000, world title clause: "There is no time requirement with regard to when they had their last fight".

Now taking all those conditions into account the good thing is that Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier are not eligible to fight Danny Green for an IBO world title. The worrying thing is that Joe Bugner is.

Don't laugh. Sillier things have happened. Ask Lester Ellis.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 12:45 AM   #6
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
Some interesting views here on a few areas including the IBO. Only one man's views but worth the read:

Danny Green's belt comes from the International Boxing Organisation (IBO) which operates out of offices in Florida. One of the newer world boxing authorities (it came along between the IBF and the WBF or it might have been the IBA, it definitely had an B in it) it describes itself as "The Champion of Integrity".

What sets the IBO apart from the older, more recognised bodies such as the WBA, is that it doesn't rely on a committee of experts to work out its rankings. It uses a computer. A computer that never says, "Are you out of your mind?" which is how Paul Briggs was able to fight for a world title last week.

See, every month the WBA committee members sit down and work out who they think are the top 10 boxers who fight under their banner. For the No.10 fighter to move up the ranks he must challenge the No.9 fighter and beat him, and so on up the ladder. The world champion must fight the No.1 or No.2-ranked fighter within nine months of his past defence.

The IBO doesn't work like that. It doesn't have its own rankings per se. Instead it feeds the details of everyone from all the organisations, from WBA to WBZ, into the computer. The IBO world champion then picks who he wants to fight from the top 35 ranked contenders, pays the IBO a fee of around $20,000 plus airfares and accommodation for IBO judges and a supervisor and everyone's a winner. Except for the loser of course although with $200,000 for 29 seconds work, Paul Briggs might disagree.

But wait, I hear you cry. Even feeding his excellent past record into the computer, how could Briggs possibly be in the top 35 contenders when he hadn't fought for three years?

Excellent point, and one which I went to the very top to clear up. Unfortunately the president of the IBO, Edward S. Levine, was on vacation and unavailable and the vice-president, his son, Jeremy D. Levine, was on his way back from Perth where he had been supervisor of the fight. But I did receive a prompt reply from the assistant to the president, Maria Canizares, who advised that the challenger can be ranked between 36 and 50 as long as "he has not lost his last fight, not lost any two of his last four fights by knockout and has a positive record in his last six fights".

And then the whammy, the $200,000, world title clause: "There is no time requirement with regard to when they had their last fight".

Now taking all those conditions into account the good thing is that Muhammad Ali and Joe Frazier are not eligible to fight Danny Green for an IBO world title. The worrying thing is that Joe Bugner is.

just posted this in my Nasser calls for IBO ban thread.computers deciding fighter rankings.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 12:51 AM   #7
the beaver
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
I think Phil Austin left this forum because he was so embarrassed that everyone here knew he was a yes man for the IBO and their nonsense. He couldn't continue to post with that stain hanging over his posting career.
the beaver is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 01:01 AM   #8
stiflers mum
Geale 4 life
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francis75 View Post
he stopped posting under his own name because Luds and/or Spidot dobbed him in.he posted under another name
but has been absent since the debacle.
stiflers mum is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 07:56 AM   #9
Francis75
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
he stopped posting under his own name because Luds and/or Spidot dobbed him in.he posted under another name
Yeah i know mate i was only joking. I used to love it when someone would ask questions regarding the IBO's policies and Phil would have to post an answer and he would always end his answer with - " it's not perfect but.....".
Francis75 is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 09:13 AM   #10
Ben K
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:

Danny Green's belt comes from the International Boxing Organisation (IBO) which operates out of offices in Florida. One of the newer world boxing authorities (it came along between the IBF and the WBF or it might have been the IBA, it definitely had an B in it) it describes itself as "The Champion of Integrity".

The IBO doesn't work like that. It doesn't have its own rankings per se. Instead it feeds the details of everyone from all the organisations, from WBA to WBZ, into the computer. The IBO world champion then picks who he wants to fight from the top 35 ranked contenders, pays the IBO a fee of around $20,000 plus airfares and accommodation for IBO judges and a supervisor and everyone's a winner. Except for the loser of course although with $200,000 for 29 seconds work, Paul Briggs might disagree.

Every month the WBA commitee sit down and decide who payed the most money and deserves there spot in the top 10 .
That is complete bull****, How do Mundines opponents jump into the ratings as soon as he needs an opponent.

At the end of the day, All org's have major flaws, Deciding which is better is all down to which belt you like better. Becuase at the end of the day there all pretty much the same.
Ben K is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 07:37 PM   #11
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben K View Post
Every month the WBA commitee sit down and decide who payed the most money and deserves there spot in the top 10 .
That is complete bull****, How do Mundines opponents jump into the ratings as soon as he needs an opponent.

At the end of the day, All org's have major flaws, Deciding which is better is all down to which belt you like better. Becuase at the end of the day there all pretty much the same.
Agree with you Ben - only put that article up because it was an interesting read, not because I necessarily agreed with it.

Those of us old enough to remember the days when there were only the WBC and WBA in place, remember far better times for boxing than now.

It's really sad for the younger fans because they've never seen 'boxing-the-sport',

....only 'boxing-the-stinking-dollar-driven-often-corrupt-business'.
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 08:39 PM   #12
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Agree with you Ben - only put that article up because it was an interesting read, not because I necessarily agreed with it.

Those of us old enough to remember the days when there were only the WBC and WBA in place, remember far better times for boxing than now.

It's really sad for the younger fans because they've never seen 'boxing-the-sport',

....only 'boxing-the-stinking-dollar-driven-often-corrupt-business'.
Thats why young fans like myself are very happy that old fans like you are here to remind us
ashley is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 09:12 PM   #13
kel
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
Thats why young fans like myself are very happy that old fans like you are here to remind us
Somebody grab me a vomit bag
kel is offline  Top
Old 07-30-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
donkeyking
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stiflers mum View Post
He still posts here. You just have to dig deep enough to find out who.
donkeyking is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum