Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-25-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: for those of you who dont have hatton ticks....

Dont get me wrong, I like the kid, just think he's slipped form many peoples minds recently...
The Lads is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2007, 01:37 PM   #17
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Thats why its good that he is being debated on here.

I agree he could do with more exposure in the UK but don't think him joining Hennessy was a mistake - think it was partly due to connections Hennessy has with Golden Boy Promotions that Murray got his big break in the states.

To fight on the undercard of De La Hoya v Mayweather in Las Vegas and win must be the stuff dreams are made of for a young boxer.

Its a shame he seems to be more rated over there (he'd previously received a standing ovation from 15,000 observers when he fought in Florida against a much favoured opponent) and his skills aren't more recognised here.

He was the first British boxer to win the World Youth Champion Title which is quite an achievement and I really hope he captures the vacant English Lightweight Title when he faces Dean Hickman on Nov 9th.
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2007, 04:01 PM   #18
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles187
Id like to see a bit more of him but what ive seen has been pretty good. Anyone think he may lack a bit of power? his KO record aint too impressive.

I think his KO rate (11 out of 21 bouts) is respectable.

I must admit I used to take KO records into account alot more to judge fighters before I joined ESB. Although I still think they gave an indication, after a discussion I had on here a few weeks back I don't pay as much attention to them as I used to - I have Jeff Thomas to thank for enlightening me!
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2007, 10:28 AM   #19
curry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

John Murrays ko power may read 11 from 21 but he was not built up on fighters smaller then him.
He stopped Darius Snarski in 2, stopped Daniel Thorpe in 2 (same as Khan and earlier then Mitchell ). Stopped Ben Odomattey only Mike Gomez has stopped him from these Shores , (Just Noticed Ricky Burns beat him on points last night) , Stopped Harry Ramagoadi in 4 quicker then Mitchell , Stopped American Tyrone Wiggins in 4 same as what Heavier Demetrius Hopkins did , Dropped Johnny Walker and had him out on his feet at the bell , Demarcus Corley stopped same kid next time out in 9 rds. Knocked out Billy Smith not many people have done that only 3 or 4 come to mind.
So some of the kids he fought and stopped Smith , Wiggins , Bethea were actually heavier fighters and fight in Divisons Higher then Murray.
Remember Murray was a super featherweight that is growing into the Lightweight division and he was still beating heavier menand at short notice.
I cannot remember many Heavier Opponents in weight divisions that the supposedly big hitters Khan and Mitchell have Stopped.
Its the other way round thats why they look like they have great power.
I do not see Amir fighting welterweights or kevin fighting lt welters as short notice.
Rant over ! :(
curry is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2007, 12:40 PM   #20
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

John was supposed to be headlining on Showbox(or at least semi-headlining) , Showtime's boxing show for up and coming fighters . He was taking on an opponent 13-0-0 but had to be forced out injured which is a real shame considering what an opportunity that was .

Fighting on Showbox as the headline is much better exposure than being tucked away on the bottom of the undercard(untelevised) of a DLH show .

His fight for the English Lightweight title against Dean Hickman will be the main undercard fight on the bill(this is for the Froch v Reid show) so hopefully the English title itself and some exposure on a good Sky bill(I reckon Froch fights draw decent numbers) will bring him on .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-27-2007, 07:38 PM   #21
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Ask him if he's in vegas on the friday... ya bearded wispa hating, audley harrison t-shirt wearing character!
The Lads is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2007, 12:28 AM   #22
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by curry
John Murrays ko power may read 11 from 21 but he was not built up on fighters smaller then him.
He stopped Darius Snarski in 2, stopped Daniel Thorpe in 2 (same as Khan and earlier then Mitchell ). Stopped Ben Odomattey only Mike Gomez has stopped him from these Shores , (Just Noticed Ricky Burns beat him on points last night) , Stopped Harry Ramagoadi in 4 quicker then Mitchell , Stopped American Tyrone Wiggins in 4 same as what Heavier Demetrius Hopkins did , Dropped Johnny Walker and had him out on his feet at the bell , Demarcus Corley stopped same kid next time out in 9 rds. Knocked out Billy Smith not many people have done that only 3 or 4 come to mind.
So some of the kids he fought and stopped Smith , Wiggins , Bethea were actually heavier fighters and fight in Divisons Higher then Murray.
Remember Murray was a super featherweight that is growing into the Lightweight division and he was still beating heavier menand at short notice.
I cannot remember many Heavier Opponents in weight divisions that the supposedly big hitters Khan and Mitchell have Stopped.
Its the other way round thats why they look like they have great power.
I do not see Amir fighting welterweights or kevin fighting lt welters as short notice.
Rant over ! :(
In other words, hes fought nothing but journeymen. So whoever you are, could you do us all a favour & ask Murray to fight a live opponent in the next year or two? Cos thats what prospects are supposed to do. even Mitchell is going to step out of the comfort zone, so could Murray please do the same? Or will you just keep coming back telling us how he beats journeymen better than other fighters do...
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2007, 11:04 AM   #23
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Lads
Ask him if he's in vegas on the friday... ya bearded wispa hating, audley harrison t-shirt wearing character!

There you go mentioning tee shirts again! Did he get that from one of your sources?

I don't like to stereotype but aren't guys with beards generally considered to be intelligent characters .... although the Audley tee shirt may undermine that theory .... I'll have to analyse that one further!
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2007, 03:38 PM   #24
stake501
Contender
ESB Senior Member

dunky has it spot on...he hasnt fought anyone yet, and unforunately for him is in the same division as young Khan. That means he will be overshadowed by him. "history making" used to be his monikor, does he still use it.
stake501 is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2007, 05:58 PM   #25
curry
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Journeyman Mounir Guebbas boxed both John Murray and Kevin Mitchell and lost but he came over and beat English Champion Danny Hunt.
Nacho Mendoza is a tough fighter who has just had a draw against rising prospect Peter Petrov.
Mendoza was never invited back by any other promoters for there stars.
John never called himself History making that was a fact that the promoters used.
curry is offline  Top
Old 10-28-2007, 09:46 PM   #26
Dunky McCafferty
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D
John is fighting for the Englsih title the week after next. This will then put him in line, hopefully, for the full British title. You can only fight other prospects if they want to fight you, or their promoters do. You can only get titles that become available. You cannot move without a space to move into. English next then we'll see what happens from there.

Murray sparred Truscott today. 6 rounds. There will be photos, interviews and more on BBN in due time.
The fight with Ricky Burns was all lined up nicely, Murray did the usual & slaughtered Ricky, saying he was going to destroy him & all the usual bullshit, then strangely he took a 'keep busy' fight before the Burns matchup, got a brused eye & pulled out.

A fight against a prospect was there for him, & he made sure he got out of it. Thats why I cant be bothered with all the John Murray arselicking until the guy actually steps up. & were still waiting....
Dunky McCafferty is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #27
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

That mendoza was a tough SOB that Murray fought, he'd give most of our prospects a damend good fight.

Dunky - bit unfair saying Murray "got out of it" when you yourself admit he got injured in a fight. Hardly a "cut hand getting VHS out" type excuse. A fight with burns would've been a good yard stick to see just how good Murray was though.
The Lads is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 07:24 AM   #28
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry D
John is fighting for the Englsih title the week after next. This will then put him in line, hopefully, for the full British title. You can only fight other prospects if they want to fight you, or their promoters do. You can only get titles that become available. You cannot move without a space to move into. English next then we'll see what happens from there.

I remember earlier this year when Khan called out his domestic competition (fight me now before its too late) it was Murray that stepped up to the challenge.

Khan's response was a false claim that he had 'played' with Murray in sparring despite the fact they'd never sparred.

Needless to say the fight never happened but its one I'd still like to see.
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM   #29
stake501
Contender
ESB Senior Member

dont get me wrong...i think the boy has talent, but he has to step up DOMESTICALLY...fighting on hatton vegas undercards is good experience but he'll end up like matthew hatton
stake501 is offline  Top
Old 10-29-2007, 07:33 PM   #30
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunky McCafferty
The fight with Ricky Burns was all lined up nicely, Murray did the usual & slaughtered Ricky, saying he was going to destroy him & all the usual bullshit, then strangely he took a 'keep busy' fight before the Burns matchup, got a brused eye & pulled out.

A fight against a prospect was there for him, & he made sure he got out of it. Thats why I cant be bothered with all the John Murray arselicking until the guy actually steps up. & were still waiting....
In fairness he pulled out because he was moving up in weight and he hasn't had any thoughts about Super featherweight(where the eliminators were at since) .

Another thing to mention is Kevin Mitchell's team pulled him out of a fight with Murray in the semi-final of those eliminators with no reason given(essentially it was too big a risk) and Craig Docherty also pulled out of a fight with Burns(which I think was also due to moving up in weight) .

I get the feeling you just didn't like his 'I'll break ya in two' comment to Burns right after winning a fight and then of course pulling out of that fight , but if you're not right at a lower weight you're not rigth and shouldn't fight there .
Big Ears is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum