Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900
Default looks like i'm fudged!

i missed about 2 months of training and just as i go back monday my trainer tells me i cant just be coming back to training when i feel like it, i explained i was fasting for a month and i had alot of work to do the month before that, but unfortunatly he is a very bad listener and basically told me he has no time for me,

although he is a great trainer he is very foul mouthed and always grumpy so i didn't bother arguing or trying to explain, i explained to the other trainers about my situation and they understood but he is the head coach of the gym and whatever he says goes, the other guys managed to persuade him to let me train but he said i should come to 1 hour training with the kids/juniors at 5pm and if he sees me dedicated again he will let me train properly,

what am i to do? i dont want to train with kids with no sparring except for sometimes when there are 'big' juniors,

also the time that the juniors train isn't really convenient for me, some days i have college which finish about the time the juniors training session starts,

i may have to drop out, i dont want to but i might just have to,

if i drop out what other options are there? i love boxing and the other clubs cost more and aren't as close enough as this one (or as good) i thought i can take up another sport like wrestling or judo, but i dont know.
Relentless is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2007, 05:53 PM   #2
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: looks like i'm fudged!

Maybe boxing is different, but if I didn't go to my martial arts class for a few days, months, even years my trainer wouldn't have any problem with me rejoining the class (well, at least he wouldn't ban me from normal lessons).

The guy sounds like a bit of a prick to be honest with you.

Start Muay Thai or Kickboxing if a class is available.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:08 PM   #3
josak
Belt holder
ESB Addict

What an ass. Don't you pay money to be at that gym? I'd say find a better place, or at least a better trainer.
josak is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:12 PM   #4
MagnificentMatt
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Yeah that seems kind of ****ed up.. haven't you been training there for a few years too?
MagnificentMatt is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:13 PM   #5
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

He does sound like a prick indeed. If you really want to get back to normal training you should suck it up and train with the kiddies for a while.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:21 PM   #6
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

I don't see the problem with punishing someone for not showing up.
Relentless, you should have talked to him before not showing up and just giving him a heads up that you weren't going to be around for a while but that you were planning on coming back. I agree with RDJ, just suck it up for a while with the kids and show him you're dedicated.
At my gym, we're supposed to call the coach at home and let him know if we are going to miss even one day.
I think most coaches get that way because of all of the half-hearted people that come and go all the time. (Relentless doesn't seem like that) but my gym is full of them. People who show up for a week and then you don't see them for three more weeks, then they are there for a day or two (getting in the way) then gone again.
amy is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:24 PM   #7
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by josak
What an ass. Don't you pay money to be at that gym? I'd say find a better place, or at least a better trainer.
we have to pay but he is not bothered with money so most of us train there for free,

he is a great old school coach who basically doesn't take bullshit, but sometime he does get alittle too hot headed.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:31 PM   #8
Rakim
Captain ****wit

vCash: 6000

He sounds like a cunt. Start Muay Thai.
Rakim is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:53 PM   #9
doublesuited
Taylor TKO2 Pavlik
ESB Senior Member

Join a monastery.
doublesuited is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 06:59 PM   #10
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
we have to pay but he is not bothered with money so most of us train there for free,

he is a great old school coach who basically doesn't take bullshit, but sometime he does get alittle too hot headed.
Well in that case, definitely suck it up. Amy does have a point. Although we don't have to inform our trainer if we're not going to make it, you need a damn good reason to not show up for a long time.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 08:46 PM   #11
SweetScience
Accuracy is the key!
ESB Addict

Change gyms if I were you. I like old school coaches but I hate foul mouthed, hot headed ones. Try finding a gym that is as good as that one. But if you really love your gym, then stay.
SweetScience is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 09:01 PM   #12
gallagher430
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Yea he sounds like a pos with a god complex or something. I go to a PAL gym which is basically there to keep kids out of trouble, so they never complain if someone doesn't show up, its just better if they do. Being a good coach doesn't mean you have to be domineering and inconsiderate.
gallagher430 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 09:03 PM   #13
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by gallagher430
Yea he sounds like a pos with a god complex or something.
It's his gym, Relentless isn't even paying him.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 09:08 PM   #14
gallagher430
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

But banning someone for not being able to come to practice? That's not a little harsh or anything? I know that if I told anyone with some reason that there was a reason for me not being able to come to practice I would definitely not get banned from the gym. It's not always your fault that you have other, more important things to do.
gallagher430 is offline  Top
Old 10-23-2007, 09:56 PM   #15
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by amy
I don't see the problem with punishing someone for not showing up.
Relentless, you should have talked to him before not showing up and just giving him a heads up that you weren't going to be around for a while but that you were planning on coming back. I agree with RDJ, just suck it up for a while with the kids and show him you're dedicated.
At my gym, we're supposed to call the coach at home and let him know if we are going to miss even one day.
I think most coaches get that way because of all of the half-hearted people that come and go all the time. (Relentless doesn't seem like that) but my gym is full of them. People who show up for a week and then you don't see them for three more weeks, then they are there for a day or two (getting in the way) then gone again.

That happens all the time at the gym I go to. They come in, sit on their butts and whine that they want to spar. The trainers say no, go work out and do what we showed you on the first day (bike, jump rope, tread mill etc) and they go do that for a whopping 10 min in total. Then they go "can I spar?" after months of just doing that my trainer either throws them out, or sends them in the ring for a prompt ass kicking. I just did that to someone last monday. They pulled that crap, and I gave him a beating he will never forget.
Bill1234 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing