Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 10-23-2007, 10:12 PM   #16
running man

vCash: 1000
Default Re: looks like i'm fudged!

it sounds like from the post we have alot of people who are not that serious about boxing. if you are serious, and it sounds like your trainer is, missing training should not happen frequently or at all even. your trainer seems like an old school guy who experienced a time when boxers were boxers and not people looking for a good workout. if you are in the sport to box, he is right and missing is not an option. if you are in it for fun or a workout, you should find a new gym.
running man is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-23-2007, 10:15 PM   #17
lefty
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1234
That happens all the time at the gym I go to. They come in, sit on their butts and whine that they want to spar. The trainers say no, go work out and do what we showed you on the first day (bike, jump rope, tread mill etc) and they go do that for a whopping 10 min in total. Then they go "can I spar?" after months of just doing that my trainer either throws them out, or sends them in the ring for a prompt ass kicking. I just did that to someone last monday. They pulled that crap, and I gave him a beating he will never forget.
Wow you're a big man for beating up a beginner who just wanted a go, as i said, what a man.

Anyways what's with the admiration for 'old school' trainers? Most people here i assume are Am boxers so what you want is a guy who shows you technique and is scientific and logical about the sort of conditioning you need. You don't need an emotional guy who has you running 15 miles asking you to show heart and teaching you shoulder rolls, most old school coaches are egomaniacs who are just in it for themselves.

Last edited by quintonjacksonfan; 08-14-2006 at 09:17 AM.
lefty is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 02:42 AM   #18
cardstars
Gamboa is GOD
ESB Addict

Quote:
That happens all the time at the gym I go to. They come in, sit on their butts and whine that they want to spar. The trainers say no, go work out and do what we showed you on the first day (bike, jump rope, tread mill etc) and they go do that for a whopping 10 min in total. Then they go "can I spar?" after months of just doing that my trainer either throws them out, or sends them in the ring for a prompt ass kicking. I just did that to someone last monday. They pulled that crap, and I gave him a beating he will never forget.
Yikes,,,mental note to self for when I join a gym. LOL
cardstars is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 AM   #19
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 1900

Quote:
Originally Posted by running man
it sounds like from the post we have alot of people who are not that serious about boxing. if you are serious, and it sounds like your trainer is, missing training should not happen frequently or at all even. your trainer seems like an old school guy who experienced a time when boxers were boxers and not people looking for a good workout. if you are in the sport to box, he is right and missing is not an option. if you are in it for fun or a workout, you should find a new gym.
my education comes first, boxing is a hobby so there will be times where i miss out,

the guy has great boxing knowlege and has made 200+ national champions, but its his foul mouth and hot headedness i cant stand, i mean sure you are mean and old school but sometimes you should tone it down, or atleast show alittle respect when peoples parents or older siblings are around.
Relentless is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 11:36 AM   #20
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Wow Bill, you're a prick. You beat up a new guy because he actually wanted to spar against someone? We get new people all the time at my class, yeah they get the odd punch or kick in the head but we don't just beat the shit out of them for no good reason.
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 11:52 AM   #21
0.5sj719

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
i missed about 2 months of training and just as i go back monday my trainer tells me i cant just be coming back to training when i feel like it, i explained i was fasting for a month and i had alot of work to do the month before that, but unfortunatly he is a very bad listener and basically told me he has no time for me,

although he is a great trainer he is very foul mouthed and always grumpy so i didn't bother arguing or trying to explain, i explained to the other trainers about my situation and they understood but he is the head coach of the gym and whatever he says goes, the other guys managed to persuade him to let me train but he said i should come to 1 hour training with the kids/juniors at 5pm and if he sees me dedicated again he will let me train properly,

what am i to do? i dont want to train with kids with no sparring except for sometimes when there are 'big' juniors,

also the time that the juniors train isn't really convenient for me, some days i have college which finish about the time the juniors training session starts,

i may have to drop out, i dont want to but i might just have to,

if i drop out what other options are there? i love boxing and the other clubs cost more and aren't as close enough as this one (or as good) i thought i can take up another sport like wrestling or judo, but i dont know.
I would go to my gym whenever I could make it, cause I travel alot/work alot. I wouldnt go to the gym if I wouldnt be in the country, or if I couldnt make enough time to dedicate myself to training due to working long hours and now I cant get back to the gym due to a car accident. When I could devote myself then I went into the gym, and have never had a problem but since I wont be able to train for a long time it gets painful thinking about all the work Ive put in, the time and effort, and when I pass by the gym it really hits me hard.

If you like the gym the keep going, if you have more "dislikes" then "likes" then find another gym that fits you. ****ing taxis
0.5sj719 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 01:16 PM   #22
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by viru§™
Wow Bill, you're a prick. You beat up a new guy because he actually wanted to spar against someone? We get new people all the time at my class, yeah they get the odd punch or kick in the head but we don't just beat the shit out of them for no good reason.
what do you expect from a 13 year old poster?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:49 PM   #23
amy
If you know what I mean
ESB Addict

I suppose the bottom line is that you should just let your coach know if you are busy and won't be there for a while, just so he knows that you aren't a flake and that you really are dedicated but just busy.
amy is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 04:09 PM   #24
rydersonthestorm
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If you don't like him go to another gym, he might be a good coach but there is no need to be a wanker.
rydersonthestorm is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 09:42 PM   #25
gallagher430
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Just let him know before hand from now on how often you can't or can come. I only go to my gym 2 days a week, but that's because I'm in college and it's 45 min away (closest gym around before you ask). I told my coach that I wouldn't be in every day, and he completely understood. You can't always help it that you can't go in every day...

Last edited by Mercury4; 08-15-2006 at 12:45 AM.
gallagher430 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 10:34 PM   #26
running man

well relentless it seems like he is a great coach, but also set in his ways and not about to change. just realize he is going to be himself and expect it. if you don't want your family around foul language don't take them there. i think you have a pretty good deal though: the coach is knowledgable, he obviously cares about boxing excellence, and he doesn't charge you much if any money. the only question is can you deal with the way he acts? that is a question for you to answer.
running man is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2007, 12:19 AM   #27
Kolya
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Relentless
my education comes first, boxing is a hobby so there will be times where i miss out,

the guy has great boxing knowlege and has made 200+ national champions, but its his foul mouth and hot headedness i cant stand, i mean sure you are mean and old school but sometimes you should tone it down, or atleast show alittle respect when peoples parents or older siblings are around.
That sentence says why you won't progress with boxing. Kids these days and their education, I tell you. If it's a hobby you really enjoy, than suck it up and go to the juniors class and deal with it; if not, then stop wasting his time; because if he's turned out that many national champions he's being extremely charitable training someone who treats boxing as a hobby.
Kolya is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2007, 07:05 AM   #28
Relentless
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya
That sentence says why you won't progress with boxing. Kids these days and their education, I tell you. If it's a hobby you really enjoy, than suck it up and go to the juniors class and deal with it; if not, then stop wasting his time; because if he's turned out that many national champions he's being extremely charitable training someone who treats boxing as a hobby.
i didn't say i will progress much in boxing, i have no plans on making it a career because i am not certain i will make it that big, its a hobby as in it keeps me busy, its something i really enjoy, i am doing well in college, i dont want anything to get in the way of that.

Quote:
Kids these days and their education
what about kids these days and their education? not everyone is as good as you and certain that they will make it.

Quote:
who treats boxing as a hobby
is there something wrong with that? not everyone does a sport to become the champion at it.

Last edited by brown bomber; 08-15-2006 at 03:56 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:04 AM   #29
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolya

You know, I can reply to that entire statement with two words - Valery Popenchenko. He won the olympics while doing his pHD, was a genius mathematician and made a contribution to Soviet submarine technology. Graduated his Suvorov school with a gold medal, and was a star student at the prestigious Soviet naval academy in St. Petersburg. I can list a few others if you want. However, they were all freaks of nature and the type of men I think people should aspire to rather than the thug morons a lot of kids seem to admire these days.
avk47 is offline  Top
Old 10-25-2007, 08:05 AM   #30
avk47
King
ESB Senior Member

In general though, very few people can pull it off. But then, nothing wrong with doing some amateur matches and becoming a reasonably successful amateur - and nothing wrong with a coach putting in the time to train such people... If he only wants to train champs, he should just open an elite gym and head-hunt people from other gyms or something.
avk47 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing