Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > British Boxing Forum

Old 10-24-2007, 12:10 AM   #1
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Just wanted to make something clear

I've been pretty hard on Haye and Enzo and at times, Ricky Hatton but the truth is that I am a big fan of British fighters. I follow the Domestic scene (area titles, commonwealth fights) as much as I can and some of my favorite fighters of all-time are British.

To be honest with you, I always enjoyed the showmanship and the personalities of the British fighters. They're more colorful than the American fighters on the whole. I think my complaints about the fighters I've mentioned are in line with the opinions of others although people of the same nationality tend to overlook certain things in favor of sheer nationalism and that is completely understandable. Either way, I do enjoy the British fight scene very much.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 10-24-2007, 05:08 AM   #2
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: Just wanted to make something clear

Enzo, Haye and Ricky all have obvious flaws. From the outside looking in they're easy to criticise, and its easy, in theory, to devise a winning game plan against them. The problem is these guys know their alleged flaws and they're doing everything to amend them. Enzo is much improved fighter who doesnt hang his chin out as much since joining enzo calzaghes camp. Haye has been working hard to erradicate stamina problems. Ricky's allegedly not comfortable with southpaw boxers, he's trainign harder than ever to put floyd under constant pressure, comparable to that he put Tszyu under. Its a different ball game when you've got a fighter coming at you in the ring, compared to watching it on telly.

One thing for sure. All 3 are genuine world class in their respective divisions. beatable - yes, but then who in world boxing isnt, in theory.
The Lads is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 AM   #3
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
I've been pretty hard on Haye and Enzo and at times, Ricky Hatton but the truth is that I am a big fan of British fighters. I follow the Domestic scene (area titles, commonwealth fights) as much as I can and some of my favorite fighters of all-time are British.

To be honest with you, I always enjoyed the showmanship and the personalities of the British fighters. They're more colorful than the American fighters on the whole. I think my complaints about the fighters I've mentioned are in line with the opinions of others although people of the same nationality tend to overlook certain things in favor of sheer nationalism and that is completely understandable. Either way, I do enjoy the British fight scene very much.
Well thank Christ for that- just the other day me and the family were round the dinner table saying how upset we were that 'Cruiser1' might not like British boxing. Thanks mate i'll let the kids know....
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 06:18 AM   #4
elle
Journeywoman
ESB Addict

Quote:

If you think you've been pretty hard on some of our fighters its nothing compared to some of the harsh criticism we often dish out ourselves.

As long as its objective I think its interesting to see what others perception is of our boxers.

It also makes a welcome and refreshing change from some of the unbelievably biased views we sometimes get on here.

Hope you continue to enjoy what we've got to offer!
elle is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 07:06 AM   #5
eddie007
Journeyman

Sounds to me like someone back tracking because maybe he feels Mormeck will get hammerd by Haye, just a thought.
eddie007 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 08:23 AM   #6
China_hand_Joe
Nostradamus
ESB Addict

vCash: 563

Quote:

Why would anyone want to like the British scene outside the handful of world class fighters?
China_hand_Joe is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 08:34 AM   #7
The Lads
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Persume you mean anyone outside britain?

Moore Macklin
Moore Jones 3
Gomez Johanneson
Gomez Arthur
Armour V Ampofo (take your pick of the fights)
Anderson V Mutley
Murray Mendoza

The list is endless.
The Lads is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 01:14 PM   #8
Big Ears
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by China_hand_Joe
Why would anyone want to like the British scene outside the handful of world class fighters?
The personalities and the fights , if you really love boxing then you will be able to watch it and enjoy it even when it's not at the top level(the same is true of loving any sport) .

Being Irish the British scene was the most accessible growing(there was no real Irish scene at the time , and the small one we have now is intertwined with the British one) , and I have fallen in love with it .

In my time the British scene has provided me with so many captivating fights that meant little to nothing on the World scene but I enjoyed them none the less . Then there's things like Hatton v Tszyu and Calzaghe v Lacy and lower key title fights that turned into thrillers(Brodie v Chi I+II) .

There is something about the British scene that is unique , that you just don't get in any other part of the World .
Big Ears is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 01:27 PM   #9
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
Well thank Christ for that- just the other day me and the family were round the dinner table saying how upset we were that 'Cruiser1' might not like British boxing. Thanks mate i'll let the kids know....
Yeah it's really nice of u to watch over my little ones like that. Say hello to the missus for me.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 01:28 PM   #10
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie007
Sounds to me like someone back tracking because maybe he feels Mormeck will get hammerd by Haye, just a thought.
Not at all man. I'm sticking with my guns. Mormeck to win in a battle of attrition.

I don't like all British fighters.
Cruiser1 is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 02:51 PM   #11
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yeah it's really nice of u to watch over my little ones like that. Say hello to the missus for me.
lol
brown bomber is offline  Top
Old 10-24-2007, 03:16 PM   #12
Cruiser1
Champion Emeritus
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff thomas
lol
Cruiser1 is offline  Top