Old 04-02-2012, 02:43 AM   #61
frankenfrank
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 4120
Default Re: Ray Mercer Versus Rocky Marciano

Quote:
Originally Posted by sinol View Post
ray mercer backs rocky marciano up.....and knocks him out late....RAY MERCERS CHIN CONCRETE...UNFAIR FIGHT THOUGH 185 LBS GUY FIGHTING A 235 LBS GUY
Mercer's 235 were soft in opposed 2 Markegiano's 185 , he wasn't n amateur 200lbs fighter in opposed 2 superheavyweight 4 nothing , and that was at n advanced age , fully matured . Mercer was a fat cruiserweight . He might have looked solid at 210 lbs but 10 lbs r very easy 2 dehydrate 4 a 210lbs man .
But Mercer still was bigger than Markegiano , even if not by d amount of 235/185 .
195/185 was still more than Rocco ever faced in a quality opponent , except 4 a 9 yrs older Cream whom was still beating Rocco in their 1st fight until d KO .
Don't know if Mercer would have backed him up , and even if he could , IDK if he could maintain it , but i don't rule it out either .
I think Mercer would have been 1 of Rocco's toughest if ot d toughest and it's hard 4 me 2 pick a winner in this 1 . Mercer could b dirty 2 , even if not as dirty as Markegiano was .
frankenfrank is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 04-02-2012, 03:20 AM   #62
Danmann
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caelum View Post
Actually, this is a great question. How would have Mercer done had he been in other eras, like Marciano's?

Walcott during his day was actually regarded as a "journeyman" most of his career. And remember, he gave Marciano a very tough fight and was winning up until that final punch. Walcott, because of his age, and wear and tear, was wearing down which was going to be normal for his age and going up against a younger foe and tough fighter like Marciano. And even Charles, a LH, gave Rocky the toughest fight of his career by his own admission, in that first fight. Say what you want about Charles as an ATG which is true, but he is an ATG at LH. I don't consider him on par with other ATG that are 200+

People just automatically assume that a person listed as an "ATG" would absolutely beat someone that is not when I think this is not true.

I'm not saying Mercer would win but I do think it is a legit question. Same with wondering how Marciano would do with a legit 200+ pound prime HW.

Funny thing is, I was thinking this a few days back. This exact match-up. Weird.
Walcott was a journyman till he got Louis bouts, he was top fighter after that. He also had advantage of Marciano fighting blind several rounds in their bout. Walcott would give Mercer a beating, every which was to Sunday.

Marciano would take Mercer out, Mercer was too easy to hit.
Danmann is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 10:20 AM   #63
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Nice find, my Mercer rants are still on the money I think.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 10:21 AM   #64
The Mongoose
THROW SOME THUNDAAAH!!!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 258

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmann View Post
Walcott was a journyman till he got Louis bouts, he was top fighter after that.
Nah, Walcott had already turned his career around a few years prior. By this time he had beat Ray, Gomez, and Bivins to establish him as the premiere HW contender.
The Mongoose is offline  Top
Old 04-02-2012, 11:42 AM   #65
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulix View Post
Who takes this one?
Marciano beats out a decision over a tough nut in Ray Mercer.
Stevie G is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum