Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Old 06-27-2007, 07:18 PM   #1
Nawfal
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default What was De La Hoyas bravest fight to take on

I think it was to take on SSM 1

mosely was a ****ing beast back in the day, and yes he had to come up in weight, but looking back on things that didnt make too much difference. mosely had amazing speed and power, chin and could box like a madman. he was willing to war as well.

their first fight was amazing. dont forget they were both in their primes and in divisions close to their primes as well.

i know some people might say it was taking on hopkins, but hopkins was already quite old, and didnt have young legs like mosely. also oscar had nothing to lose. both were reaching the end of their careers. all oscar had to do was stay away and try and outbox the old master.

also the fight with mayweather. i mean there was no way floyd could have serioulsy hurt him, and the aim of pbf was to outbox him and stay away.

or was it trinidad ? both young undefeated fighters.
Nawfal is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2007, 07:23 PM   #2
PJ
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Default Re: What was De La Hoyas bravest fight to take on

A lot of them...
PJ is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:35 PM   #3
Ramshall1
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Im not a big DLH fan, but in his prime he fought alot of top competition in their prime.
Ramshall1 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:36 PM   #4
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Bernard.. End of Story.
acb is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 07:46 PM   #5
Chileno606
Gentleman & Scholar
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1158

Bernard. It was a huge mountain to climb, and I give him credit for trying at least, unlike PBF and other cowards.
Chileno606 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 08:51 PM   #6
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Hopkins. Without question. The first Mosley fight was a tough one as well. I'm a massive De La Hoya fan, but I never gave him much of a chance against Hopkins. If De La Hoya was moving up against a full fledged middleweight who was one dimensional and lacked skill, then I would have backed him. But Hopkins is a complete fighter. He could have stopped De La Hoya much earlier if he never showed him the respect he did. Hopkins has never been an all out aggressive fighter.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:02 PM   #7
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 345

Yea I think maybe Mosley.

I mean Hopkins was a bigger man but that was a big fight and Oscar made a lot of money. The risk was worth it and Oscar thought he was catching a old Hopkins. Hopkins came down to 156 for that fight, plus he looked weak at the weighin. There was a few who were picking Oscar which in hindsight looks ridiculous now.
VIP is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:03 PM   #8
Pimp C
Houston VS Everybody
East Side VIP

vCash: 138

Hopkins hands down. Shane was the smaller man and was moving up two weight classes to fight him. Oscar thought he was stronger, faster and better than Mosley.
Pimp C is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:08 PM   #9
Boro chris
Champion
East Side Guru

Location: I'm not Jesus Christ. I've come to accept that now.

A lot of people call Oscar fans 'Oscar***uals', which is a little unfair. I cant think of a modern fighter who took on a higher quality of opponent than Oscar
I know he lost to a few of them but if you compare his resume to others....its the best in the world for quite some time.
Boro chris is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #10
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

I'm amazed people are saying the Mosley fight.

"What was De La Hoyas bravest fight to take on". Which means nothing to do with the result of the fight, and who dominated De La Hoya the most. The question speaks for itself.

Mosley was moving up two weight divisions, although he was very similar size when he got in the ring with De La Hoya. Mosley had never been in a superfight either. He was very much the underdog as well.

De La Hoya was also taking on a full blown middleweight, with respectable power at the weight when he fought Hopkins. Even though De La Hoya was moving up in weight, the handspeed of Hopkins was maybe just as quick.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #11
fernando4cv3
Journeyman

it was deff the trinidad fight. he had more on the line such as his undefeated streak. To casual fans undefeated streaks represent that a fighter is immortal. After they lose their straks they arent seen in the same perspective even if not by that much. Just look at Tyson and Ali after their first loses
fernando4cv3 is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 10:49 PM   #12
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Bernard Hopkins.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #13
Thread Stealer
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boro chris
A lot of people call Oscar fans 'Oscar***uals', which is a little unfair. I cant think of a modern fighter who took on a higher quality of opponent than Oscar
I know he lost to a few of them but if you compare his resume to others....its the best in the world for quite some time.
That term is not for regular Oscar fans.

It's for the delusional fanatics.
Thread Stealer is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 10:50 PM   #14
Robbi
Marvelous
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernando4cv3
it was deff the trinidad fight. he had more on the line such as his undefeated streak. To casual fans undefeated streaks represent that a fighter is immortal. After they lose their straks they arent seen in the same perspective even if not by that much. Just look at Tyson and Ali after their first loses
I think the poster who made the thread means "bravest" in terms of hardest task, and his chances of winning before the first bell rang for each of his fights. The most difficult fight on paper.

De La Hoya was 26 years old when he fought Trinidad, which was in and around his prime. Trinidad never had a great chin and was known for being one dimensional.

De La Hoya was 31 years old when he fought Hopkins, and was fighting a natural 160lb fighter, and it was two divisions above his fight with Trinidad. Hopkins was also much more skilled than Trinidad, no question.
Robbi is offline  Top
Old 06-27-2007, 11:11 PM   #15
fernando4cv3
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robbi
I think the poster who made the thread means "bravest" in terms of hardest task, and his chances of winning before the first bell rang for each of his fights. The most difficult fight on paper.

De La Hoya was 26 years old when he fought Trinidad, which was in and around his prime. Trinidad never had a great chin and was known for being one dimensional.

De La Hoya was 31 years old when he fought Hopkins, and was fighting a natural 160lb fighter, and it was two divisions above his fight with Trinidad. Hopkins was also much more skilled than Trinidad, no question.
now that i think about it your right. i was jsut thinkin that there so was so much on the line for that fine mustve nerve wrecking and it takes a brave real champion to fight the best of the best. Which i think tito was at the time
fernando4cv3 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum