Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum

Old 08-08-2010, 10:15 AM   #1
streetheart

vCash: 500
Default Is James Toney pulling a publicity stunt ?

Is James Toney pulling a publicity stunt ? Or does he really think he can compete with the top veterans in the MMA world! What do u guys think????
streetheart is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-08-2010, 10:33 AM   #2
Devintea
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is James Toney pulling a publicity stunt ?

Honestly, I think it is solely a financial thing. He has a name and used it to gain a deal with one of the top stars of another sport. Shaq did the same thing.
Devintea is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #3
lastletter26
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 612

I think niether yet I don't know the financial aspecs of this fight with couture. I think he is doing this to see if he can and as a challenge to MMA and thier fans who call boxing boring.
lastletter26 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 10:38 AM   #4
Keueng
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 9199

Quote:
Originally Posted by Devintea View Post
Honestly, I think it is solely a financial thing. He has a name and used it to gain a deal with one of the top stars of another sport. Shaq did the same thing.
Then he should've done it the right way, like Michael Jordan with Nike... even today the shoes sell very well, making millions for the ex-Chicago Bull player!!

McToney burger: "four layers of meat wrapped in bacon and on each stage a piece of cheese and without letuce"
Keueng is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 10:41 AM   #5
Journey Man
Journeyman always.
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 137

Quote:
Im not american so exuse my ignorance but did Shaq not used to be or still is a WWE wrestler?
Journey Man is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 10:42 AM   #6
PH|LLA
ESB Junkie
East Side VIP

vCash: 5685

Honestly, I think Toney will beat this MMA guy.

Even though I know Toney is old and fat and out of shape and has no kicks and no wrestling and no jujitsu and all that other stuff
PH|LLA is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 10:43 AM   #7
Rico Spadafora
Best Chin On ESB
East Side VIP

vCash: 1158

Quote:

How? The UFC does not pay shit.
Rico Spadafora is online now  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
natep
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 362

Pretty sure that couture is one of th highest paid guys in ufc and the most Dana white pays him is around 400k.
natep is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
streetheart

Quote:
Originally Posted by lastletter26 View Post
I think niether yet I don't know the financial aspecs of this fight with couture. I think he is doing this to see if he can and as a challenge to MMA and thier fans who call boxing boring.
I agree with u there he might want to show people that boxers can compete with MMA fighters but honestly JT is Prolly not the right guy to make that move!!!! Any ways it seems that UFC has a PPV event every 3wks. And that has brought all the UFC hype down a bit!
Old 08-08-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
slo100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

Not really directly relevant to the thread topic but here's a little observation I've made pertaining to MMA: One of the main selling points of MMA over boxing at the moment is that the best are forced to fight the best because all the match making is done in an in-house league style arrangement, but that is eventually going to turn to shit in their hands and become even worse than having multiple sanctioning bodies in boxing because there are more and more MMA fight leagues/organizations starting up all over the world and they don't really do inter-league match making. So eventually you'll have 20+ MMA world champions in a given weight divison (for example) who aren't even allowed to unify.
slo100 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 11:39 AM   #11
the_truth
Belt holder
ESB Addict

James Toney will win this, I have a few bets with a couple of my friends. Even though it's not the same Toney his experience and talking it's too much for any MMA guy. He would get into his head and will make them fight his fight. Dont be surprise if Toney wins by a KO just like Ray Mercer did to Tim Sylvia in 9 seconds.
the_truth is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 11:42 AM   #12
cheech
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 742

i don't think james has a chance even if hes in great shape. trying to beat a ufc champion under ufc rules is almost next to impossible. I'm still going to watch the fight to root for the dog.

Last edited by cheech; 08-08-2010 at 12:00 PM.
cheech is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #13
streetheart

I
Quote:
Originally Posted by slo100 View Post
Not really directly relevant to the thread topic but here's a little observation I've made pertaining to MMA: One of the main selling points of MMA over boxing at the moment is that the best are forced to fight the best because all the match making is done in an in-house league style arrangement, but that is eventually going to turn to shit in their hands and become even worse than having multiple sanctioning bodies in boxing because there are more and more MMA fight leagues/organizations starting up all over the world and they don't really do inter-league match making. So eventually you'll have 20+ MMA world champions in a given weight divison (for example) who aren't even allowed to unify.
I agree with u 100% but that mainly comes from Dana White wanting to be the sole promoter more money for him, them having to fight the best is good for the casual fan and like u said right now Pride has some good guys that can really match up and make a name for them self s. I just wish boxing could take something from UFC and force the title holders to fight or forfeit their belt (for xample PBF fight or retire and stop dodging)
Old 08-08-2010, 11:46 AM   #14
slo100
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 200

Quote:
Originally Posted by streetheart View Post
I agree with u there he might want to show people that boxers can compete with MMA fighters but honestly JT is Prolly not the right guy to make that move!!!!
From the outset I'm inclined to agree with you, a lot of Toney's defensive stylings are not suited to MMA rules, shoulder roll, fighting off the ropes will get him in trouble. But hopefully he is smart enough to realise and adjust his boxing to suit MMA, and also who knows what other tricks he may have up his sleeve.
slo100 is offline  Top
Old 08-08-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
the_truth
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheech View Post
i don't think james has a chance even if hes in great shape. trying to beat a ufc champion under ufc rules is almost next to impossible. I'm still going to watch the fight to root for the undercard.
So what you think of a very old Ray Mercer ko's Tim Sylvia in 9 seconds who was a UFC champ?
the_truth is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Other > MMA Forum