Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 06-28-2007, 12:55 AM   #1
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275
Default Briggs Doubts Mundine's Self Belief

AUSTRALIA'S world-ranked light heavyweight Paul Briggs has questioned whether Anthony Mundine has the self-belief to defeat champion international boxers Mikkel Kessler or Joe Calzaghe.
Mundine earned a unanimous points decision over tough Argentinean Pablo Zamora Nievas to retain his World Boxing Association super middleweight title on the Gold Coast last night.
In the lead-up to the fight, former rugby league star Mundine spoke confidently about challenging World Boxing Organisation titleholder Calzaghe or undefeated World Boxing Council and WBA champion Kessler in a "super fight".
But Briggs said he doubted whether Mundine, 32, really believed he could beat Denmark's Kessler or Welshman Calzaghe after struggling to put away a courageous Nievas over 12 rounds last night.
"Anthony will talk it up but the reality of the situation is completely different to what he thinks in his head," said Briggs, who watched the bout in his role as a pay TV commentator.
"It'd be great to see him fight like this against the elite guys because I truly think he's got the goods to be able to beat them but does he believe that?
"He's got the skills and he can do it but every time he's really stepped up to the elite guys he's got beaten.
"He talks about never getting beaten again and that's great. It's easy to carry on when you're fighting blokes like he fought last night."
Mundine used his lightning jab and evasive skills in the ring to wear down Nievas, who had never previously gone beyond six rounds.
"It was a frustrating fight in the sense that he (Mundine) couldn't put the guy away and they're the fights that you learn from," Briggs remarked. "It's only going to do him benefit and no harm at all."
Mundine last night described Nievas as "definitely the toughest fighter I've fought in my career".
"It goes to show these so-called experts, they don't know shit," added Mundine, who improved his record to 29-3 (22KO).
"They don't know nothing about the real professional elite stage of sport."
Despite straining a right biceps muscle early in the fight, Mundine was able to outclass his plucky opponent, who was at long odds of $10 to cause an upset.
"I won pretty much every round and I proved I'm one of the superior fighters in the world and I'm only going to get better," boasted Mundine. "My jab is the key. I'm super quick."
Kegsy is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-28-2007, 12:59 AM   #2
shanemfr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Briggs Doubts Mundine's Self Belief

With his performance against Adamek when he knew he was behind and didn't change his workrate etc,Briggs is the last one to really comment about self belief these days, but he is also stating about Mundine what shit loads of people already knew.
shanemfr is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:02 AM   #3
ipswich express
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Please don't compare 2 wars with Adamek, which he lost by majority decision in both, to Anthony's fight.
ipswich express is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:06 AM   #4
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipswich express
Please don't compare 2 wars with Adamek, which he lost by majority decision in both, to Anthony's fight.
yeah those 24 rounds are more exciting than 200 mundine fights - briggs is a nut
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:21 AM   #5
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

Good to see Briggs say these comments. Last time I saw him commentate (Mundine/Soliman 2) it looked as though he might have been heading down the Barry Michaels path as he seemed to be glorifying Mundine a bit too much.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #6
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1325

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegsy
Mundine last night described Nievas as "definitely the toughest fighter I've fought in my career".
"It goes to show these so-called experts, they don't know shit," added Mundine, who improved his record to 29-3 (22KO).
"They don't know nothing about the real professional elite stage of sport."
"I won pretty much every round and I proved I'm one of the superior fighters in the world and I'm only going to get better," boasted Mundine. "My jab is the key. I'm super quick."
Geez, desperate words from Mundine...you can almost hear that he himself doesn't believe what he's saying
IrnBruMan is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:24 AM   #7
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by pecks
Good to see Briggs say these comments. Last time I saw him commentate (Mundine/Soliman 2) it looked as though he might have been heading down the Barry Michaels path as he seemed to be glorifying Mundine a bit too much.
He may well have done himself out of some $$ as a sparring partner though
Old 06-28-2007, 01:26 AM   #8
PorkChopExpress
Champion of the Universe
ESB Senior Member

Awesome comments imo and couldn't be said by anyone better... hopefully Mundine hears these comments and takes some note of them and not turn around and say he could KO Briggs in 9 or some shit.
PorkChopExpress is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:30 AM   #9
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorkChopExpress
Awesome comments imo and couldn't be said by anyone better... hopefully Mundine hears these comments and takes some note of them and not turn around and say he could KO Briggs in 9 or some shit.
Mundine isn't known for taking criticism well...in light of what he himself said after the fight last night, I very much doubt he will welcome Briggs' comments, nevermind heed them.
Old 06-28-2007, 05:43 AM   #10
ashley
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Now thats a fight I would love to see...Mundine VS Briggs at LHW
ashley is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 AM   #11
Dr Gonzo
Yo! Molesta La Breastas!
East Side Guru

im with you - would be good but i think briggs wouldnt do a hell of a lot better than danny green did for some reason
Dr Gonzo is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:06 PM   #12
VIP
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 345

Definitely he still has some problems with his mentality. I mean he looked so good and confident in his previous few fights against Green and Soliman, but it's still something he needs to work on. Hopefully he gets the big fight Kessler 2 or Calzaghe soon and his legacy can be defined win or lose.
VIP is offline  Top
Old 06-28-2007, 01:10 PM   #13
teke
Titans Time !!!
East Side Guru

vCash: 2611

I tend to agree with Briggs comments.

However everyone doubted he had the ability or mentality to KO a previously unKO'd fighter in Sam hope that makes sense)
teke is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #14
tills9191
Journeyman

LOOK guys, I DESPISE mundine but i thought his performance against neivas was very good, he moved well, dodged punches well,and as for the KO , well the guy could take a punch, simple as that.. you can't really bag mundine for not ko'ing him, what about kessler against andrade , how much punishement did he take at the hands of kessler, and the guy still didnt go down, and kessler has a lot more power than mundine.. so i think that should silence u guys up..(no offence)
I think mundine looked exceptionally well, and probably wasnt fighting at 100%, put it this way, when your fighting some1 thats not up to your level, obviously, its not gona bring out the best in you..
end of post.
thank you
tills9191 is offline  Top
Old 06-29-2007, 02:20 AM   #15
IrnBruMan
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by tills9191
LOOK guys, I DESPISE mundine but i thought his performance against neivas was very good, he moved well, dodged punches well,and as for the KO , well the guy could take a punch, simple as that.. you can't really bag mundine for not ko'ing him, what about kessler against andrade , how much punishement did he take at the hands of kessler, and the guy still didnt go down, and kessler has a lot more power than mundine.. so i think that should silence u guys up..(no offence)
I think mundine looked exceptionally well, and probably wasnt fighting at 100%, put it this way, when your fighting some1 thats not up to your level, obviously, its not gona bring out the best in you..
end of post.
thank you
Andrade was ranked a hell of a lot higher than Nievas, and had fought past 6 rounds quite regularly in his 23 fights.

Bottom line is:

Nievas was not a worthy opponent (he was rushed up to top 15 for Mudnine's mandatory) and Mundine beat him in an unimpressive fashion.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum