Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Old 08-14-2010, 12:12 PM   #1
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Curtis Cokes ko5 Willie Ludick - a right uppercut clinic and an awesome tko

This is a really fine fight, I love it. It's some of the best right-uppercut work you are going to see, lead & counter, inside & out. Some of the right uppercuts he finds space for on the inside are the best punches in the fight, even if they are less flashy than the ones he throws form outside.

This is a total clinic on using the right-uppercut against the southpaw, although of course, you need to have superb balance, positioning and timing to pull it off. Cokes has all these things here, when he hits his stride.

I think Ludick has his moments. Anyone whose formed an impression from just reports is going to be surprised here, because they were never a good guide.

And as for the combos Cokes lands to KD his opponent and then put him away...well, enjoy.

All thoughts/observations are welcome.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu2L0NxRfHA[/ame]
McGrain is online now  Top
Old 08-14-2010, 12:26 PM   #2
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268
Default Re: Curtis Cokes ko5 Willie Ludick - a right uppercut clinic and an awesome tko

Great stuff. I prefer watching southpaw vs. orthodox to be honest.
di tullio is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2010, 01:20 PM   #3
itrymariti
Caņas!
East Side Guru

Default Re: Curtis Cokes ko5 Willie Ludick - a right uppercut clinic and an awesome tko

Thanks for posting this McGrain. I've been looking to find out a bit more about Cokes lately. Will watch when I get back in later.
itrymariti is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2010, 05:17 PM   #4
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I followed the fights of Curtis Cokes back then,,I was sold on him and thought the sky was the limit...then came.....Mantequilla..like a big moustached Mexican bandito and changed everything...that was for me a great welterweight era.
red cobra is online now  Top
Old 08-14-2010, 08:23 PM   #5
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

vCash: 836

Really impressive stuff.

I loved Cokes right hand in general, he was lading some lovely little short rights down the pip as Ludick stepped forward. But as you say that uppercut was brilliant.

Cokes also showed some lovely little step/pivots on the back foot away from Ludick's left hand, which was very slick. Also Ludick looked fairly good and imposed himself on Cokes fairly well.

Brutal TKO though.
GPater11093 is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2010, 08:26 PM   #6
Meast

vCash: 900

Cheers for posting.

I need some good stuff to watch, 2 hours until Pascal/Dawson and I'm falling asleep already
Meast is offline  Top
Old 08-14-2010, 09:45 PM   #7
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Another Cokes fight. The right uppercut here is again superbly used, I love the way he sneaks a veryshort right uppercut right down the middle during exchanges, very good stuff.
Old 08-15-2010, 06:38 AM   #8
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Yeah amongst the best right uppercuts i've seen.

Shame more people haven't chosen to watch, but that seems to be the way it is now...fantasy fights generate way more attention than real fights and highlights packages of oft-seen fights generate way more interest than rare-ish fights.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:05 AM   #9
GPater11093
Barry
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by McGrain View Post
Yeah amongst the best right uppercuts i've seen.

Shame more people haven't chosen to watch, but that seems to be the way it is now...fantasy fights generate way more attention than real fights and highlights packages of oft-seen fights generate way more interest than rare-ish fights.
Yep.

Cokes has really impressed me, the more I have watched of him. Makes Napoles domination of him even more spectacular.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:08 AM   #10
McGrain
Diamond Dog
East Side VIP

Cokes is a wonderful fighter. Wonderful counter-puncher with all kinds of skills.
Old 08-15-2010, 07:22 AM   #11
BritInvasion
keepin on keepin on
ESB Full Member

Thanks for that man. In my mind I always reference Cokes as a feather in Napoles cap as much as a fighter in his own right, so that was great to watch.
BritInvasion is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2010, 08:05 AM   #12
natonic
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Great stuff, thanks for posting. I was very impressed with how Cokes finished matters. Very precise bunching and he had no intention of letting Ludick off the hook.
natonic is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2010, 09:51 AM   #13
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Cokes was some fighter..his stoppage of Pavila is also impressive.

Great technical boxer but I loved the way he could go all badarse in there and close the show.

Last edited by WhataRock; 08-15-2010 at 07:36 PM.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 08-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #14
red cobra
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Cokes was a fine fighter..I believe he was just coming into his own..feeling comfortable in his own skin as a fighter and as a champion when he ran into Napoles...this only shows how frightfully great Napoles was..and dosen't besmirch Cokes at all...oh, had he just been in another division, or had Castro just had trapped Napoles in Cuba...ah, damn the bad luck!!
red cobra is online now  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum