Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum

Old 10-26-2007, 12:22 PM   #1
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Russian cruiser Grigory Drozd ? Your opinion?

The talented Russian cruiser(27-1) is scheduled to face Laurolino Barros(25-1) on the undercard of Dimitrenko vs Hoffman.
Barros' only loss was a split decision loss to American heavy Danny Batchelder who had a bloody pretty close fight with Toney.Some people even claim that Batchelder was robbed of a deserved victory against his better known compatriot.
Barros is very known,but seems to be a fairly decent fight.
Since his surprising loss to Firat Arslan Drozd has only fought twice.He stopped Romanian journeyman Telecan in the very first round of their encounter,and won a wide point decision against French based African Bikoi.
Drozd seemed to have all the tools and talent to be a future champ,but Firat Arslan brutally exposed his weak spots in their encounter one year ago.
Though Drozd was head and shoulders over Arslan in terms of skills and firepower he wasnt able to beat the German based Turk.
Drozd had no game plan,tried to stop a fighter who is known to have one of the best chins at cruiser weight,ran out of gas against a fighter who is admired for his incredibly good stamina.
Drozd couldnt cope with Arslan's mental toughness and his relentless pressure style.
I bet my house that if Drozd had had a better game plane he would have won a pretty wide point decision against Arslan.
Well,I very much hope that he has learnt his lesson.He is still young enough to come back.
Odo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 11-20-2007, 02:54 PM   #2
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Default Re: Russian cruiser Grigory Drozd ? Your opinion?

According to the news Drozd scored a brutal ko victory against a game opponent on the undercard of Dimitrenko vs Hoffman.
Unfortunetely,I havent been able to watch that fight.
Drozd seems to have recovered well from his surprising loss to world title challenger Firat Arslan.

Anyone seen Drozd's last fight?

All Results:

WBO Inter-Continental Championship Heavyweight (12 Rounds)
Alexander Dimitrenko (UKR) vs. Timo Hoffmann (GER)
W TKO; Rd. 12, 2’24

WIBF World Championship Featherweight (10 Rounds)
Ina Menzer (GER) vs. Laura Serrano (MEX)
W PTS; 97:93, 97:93, 98:92

WBA Asia Pacific Championship Cruiserweight (12 Rounds)
Grigory Drozd (RUS) vs. Laudelino Jose Barros (BRA)
W KO; Rd. 8, 2’22

Heavyweight (10 Rounds)
Vladimir Virchis (UKR) vs. Robert Hawkins (USA)
W KO; Rd. 5, 0’40

Welterweight (8 Rounds)
Oliver Güttel (GER) vs. Michal Durovic (CZE)
W TKO; Rd. 4, 2’46

Heavyweight (6 Rounds)
Evgeny Orlov (RUS) vs. Daniil Peretyatko (RUS)
W PTS; 59:55, 59:55, 60:55

Jr. Flyweight (4 Rounds)
Asiye Ozlem Sahin (GER) vs. Renata Depciyh (POL)
W TKO; Rd. 3, 1’16
Odo is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 05:15 PM   #3
unitas
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odo
The talented Russian cruiser(27-1) is scheduled to face Laurolino Barros(25-1) on the undercard of Dimitrenko vs Hoffman.
Barros' only loss was a split decision loss to American heavy Danny Batchelder who had a bloody pretty close fight with Toney.Some people even claim that Batchelder was robbed of a deserved victory against his better known compatriot.
Barros is very known,but seems to be a fairly decent fight.
Since his surprising loss to Firat Arslan Drozd has only fought twice.He stopped Romanian journeyman Telecan in the very first round of their encounter,and won a wide point decision against French based African Bikoi.
Drozd seemed to have all the tools and talent to be a future champ,but Firat Arslan brutally exposed his weak spots in their encounter one year ago.
Though Drozd was head and shoulders over Arslan in terms of skills and firepower he wasnt able to beat the German based Turk.
Drozd had no game plan,tried to stop a fighter who is known to have one of the best chins at cruiser weight,ran out of gas against a fighter who is admired for his incredibly good stamina.
Drozd couldnt cope with Arslan's mental toughness and his relentless pressure style.
I bet my house that if Drozd had had a better game plane he would have won a pretty wide point decision against Arslan.
Well,I very much hope that he has learnt his lesson.He is still young enough to come back.
yes, i agree that he has the athletic talent and boxing skills to win a title.
but as you pointed out, his stammina is suspect.

and, and more worrying, is his chin. i remember him from his fight with decent pavel melkomian.

menkomian was unbeaten, but universum wanted to get rid of him because he just wasnt developing. he had several lackluster performances and universum was about to sign drozd.

one more thing about melkomian: he was NO PUNCHER!!!

but while drozd won the fight by tko in round 5, he was dropped and almost stopped by melkomian in round two.

and the rather light hitting arslan also had him a bit hurt with his punches.

so i´m just not sure if he could stand up the power of guys like huck, tokarev, haye, ding and so on.

but one thing is for sure: id certainly would like to see him battle those guys. that would be fun.
unitas is offline  Top
Old 11-20-2007, 05:16 PM   #4
sean
pale peice of pig`s ear
ESB Addict

they did not show the whole fight odo ,only highlights.

the knockout was a crushing uppercut that left his opponent unconcious underneath the bottom rope.
sean is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 11:34 AM   #5
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sean
they did not show the whole fight odo ,only highlights.

the knockout was a crushing uppercut that left his opponent unconcious underneath the bottom rope.
thanks,sean!
Odo is offline  Top
Old 11-21-2007, 11:39 AM   #6
Odo
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by unitas
yes, i agree that he has the athletic talent and boxing skills to win a title.
but as you pointed out, his stammina is suspect.

and, and more worrying, is his chin. i remember him from his fight with decent pavel melkomian.

menkomian was unbeaten, but universum wanted to get rid of him because he just wasnt developing. he had several lackluster performances and universum was about to sign drozd.

one more thing about melkomian: he was NO PUNCHER!!!

but while drozd won the fight by tko in round 5, he was dropped and almost stopped by melkomian in round two.

and the rather light hitting arslan also had him a bit hurt with his punches.

so i´m just not sure if he could stand up the power of guys like huck, tokarev, haye, ding and so on.

but one thing is for sure: id certainly would like to see him battle those guys. that would be fun.
Arslan didnt really hurt him,unitas.Drozd just wasnt prepared to duke it out by all means+his stamina let him down.
Drozd is head and shoulders over Arslan in terms of talent and skills.However,Arslan is a mentally tough warrior who is on the attack for 12 long rounds.A true pitbull!
Drozd didnt seem to have an intelligent game plan and was out of his shoes when he realized that he couldnt take the Turk out with his powerful punches.
I for my part would bet my money on Drozd in a rematch.
Drozd has learnt from that surprising defeat.
I quite agree with you inasmuch as I,too,wouldnt call him the favourite against fighters like Huck,Haye,Tokarev,and so on,but he has the potential to give them hell in the ring.
Odo is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > European Boxing Forum