Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum


Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-18-2010, 08:36 AM   #1
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

I'm very interested in seeing how this would play out. Toney is one of the most relaxed fighters I've ever seen. I don't think the Tyson rep would have an effect on him. He'd probably even talk trash to Tyson in the ring.

So could Toney hang with Tyson for 12 or could Tyson hang with Toney for 12?
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2010, 08:44 AM   #2
Boxed Ears
ESB #1 Name Changer!
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Pazinfowit, USA
Posts: 24,716
vCash: 26665
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

I'm a big admirer of Toney's skill but I don't think this is a fair one for him. The Tyson that Holyfield fought though...could be good.
Boxed Ears is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:46 AM   #3
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

No Tyson was as good as him at countering at his best plus he had very good speed, so Toney would be outgunned big time. I think Toney could beat Tyson in the late 90's though.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 08:52 AM   #4
FROST
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Burger King, baby!
Posts: 2,213
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

A prime Tyson would win a decision against the Toney that fought Holyfield. I think Tysons speed and combination punching would make the difference. Toney would defend well and score some nice counters, but that's it. Prime Tyson was a clever fighter and could box when he wanted to, he would dictate the pace of the fight and just bring too much to the table.
The Tyson rep would not have an effect on Toney - Toney is afraid of no man. Nor Tyson power - Toney rarely gets hit clean, and even if he does, his chin and toughness are legendary.
As for the Tyson that fought Holyfield - I think Toney would have a good chance of frustrating Tyson and throw him out of his gameplan, so who knows..
Ironically, Toney and Tyson have exactly the same height and reach. Shows how small a HW Tyson really was.
FROST is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Quote:
Originally Posted by lefthook31 View Post
No Tyson was as good as him at countering at his best plus he had very good speed, so Toney would be outgunned big time. I think Toney could beat Tyson in the late 90's though.

Really? Toney can counter off of weaves, slips, shoulder rolls, and arm blocks. Or are you just saying that Tyson was that good at slipping and countering not counting versatility.
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:13 AM   #6
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky P View Post
Really? Toney can counter off of weaves, slips, shoulder rolls, and arm blocks. Or are you just saying that Tyson was that good at slipping and countering not counting versatility.
Yes Tyson was very good at slipping punches and countering plus he was faster and punched a lot harder.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:15 AM   #7
Harman
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Germany
Posts: 148
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

A Prime Tyson would kill any Version of James Toney.. Toney is a superior Counterboxer but the incredible Speed and Power of Mike Tyson is to much for him.

Toney would win against the Tyson from the Lewis or McBride Fight..
Harman is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:21 AM   #8
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

So do you guys feel that Toney could last 12 rounds with a prime Mike?
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #9
lefthook31
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: in a boxing gym near you
Posts: 10,432
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicky P View Post
So do you guys feel that Toney could last 12 rounds with a prime Mike?
I dont think so.
lefthook31 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:27 AM   #10
PowerPuncher
P4P King
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 20,610
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Toney's defense is not impregnable, Jones hit him at will, plenty of others hit him regularly, especially when he invariably got lazy. Tyson while not as fast as Jones is fast enough to land clean and when Toney gets lazy he gets ko'd here
PowerPuncher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
Nicky P
Jamiva Boxing
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 716
vCash: 500
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowerPuncher View Post
Toney's defense is not impregnable, Jones hit him at will, plenty of others hit him regularly, especially when he invariably got lazy. Tyson while not as fast as Jones is fast enough to land clean and when Toney gets lazy he gets ko'd here

This is true. As sharp as he looked against Evander, he still was hit with a few left hooks. And Tyson was a lot faster than Holyfield, with excellent body head combos. Something good would land pretty early probably, I agree.
Nicky P is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:04 AM   #12
tommygun711
The Future
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 7,340
vCash: 102
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Prime Holyfield would make Toney his bitch.
tommygun711 is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:13 AM   #13
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Who knows if Toney could take Tyson's power ?

I cant say anything bad about Toney's chin, it's obviously some form of granite, but he never fought anyone with Tyson's combination of speed and power and ability to deliver. Tyson KO'd some very durable heavyweights.

I'm not sure that Toney would be able to last the distance with a prime and healthy Holyfield either for that matter.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:31 AM   #14
Bonecrusher
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Cape Girardeau, MO
Posts: 983
vCash: 136
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unforgiven View Post
Who knows if Toney could take Tyson's power ?

I cant say anything bad about Toney's chin, it's obviously some form of granite, but he never fought anyone with Tyson's combination of speed and power and ability to deliver. Tyson KO'd some very durable heavyweights.

I'm not sure that Toney would be able to last the distance with a prime and healthy Holyfield either for that matter.
My thought exactly, I mean we just don't really know, I have never seen Toney hurt at any weight, but he has never fought a heavyweight like the Prime Tyson.. Part of me wants to say he makes it 12, but then I am like "its Tyson".. Tough call.. Either way if Tyson doesn't score a KO then he wins a Decision..
Bonecrusher is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2010, 10:35 AM   #15
Unforgiven
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 12,568
vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Tyson vs. James Toney that fought Evander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonecrusher View Post
My thought exactly, I mean we just don't really know, I have never seen Toney hurt at any weight, but he has never fought a heavyweight like the Prime Tyson.. Part of me wants to say he makes it 12, but then I am like "its Tyson".. Tough call.. Either way if Tyson doesn't score a KO then he wins a Decision..
Yep. I cant see Tyson losing.
And I wouldn't be surprised if it's a decision, or if it's a KO.
Unforgiven is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013