Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is now meaningless?
Agree 338 48.35%
Disagree 361 51.65%
Voters: 699. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 12:17 PM   #2236
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
the relevant WWs at the time when pac was fighting at 130/135 are cotto, margarito, mosley, williams, clottey, quintana and some others. that was back in 2006-2009 when these guys are fighting each other while floyd is fighting hatton, on vacation or marquez.

pac has fought all these relevant WWs, aside from williams (who by the time pac moved to WW, has moved up a division or two). floyd has fought two of these relevant WWs and both are way overdue already.
To be fair though, after fighting ODLH at 154lbs and at the time a career payday not to mention a record ppv fight, why fight other contenders when you can fight champions (w/ exception of JMM, who as a #2 P4P) with names. and for the record hois retirement was only from January 2008 to May 2009 (when he announced his comeback).

Lets be real, Floyds win over a strong 154lb ODLH was better thatn any win against the WW's you just named at the time other than Cotto.
Don't Sleep is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 12:18 PM   #2237
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
a nice win streak over foreman and mayorga? LMW division is weak. cotto went up to that division after he got beaten up by pac at WW. ortiz became a WW player after berto who was a bit overrated in the first place.
I guarantee you Pac will never fight Ortiz!

And for the record I like Pac but dont be fooled into thinking he is an all time great at WW. Now below WW, thats another story.
Don't Sleep is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 12:21 PM   #2238
Toontoon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 117

There are too many variables to say someone beat a better version of a fighter because they beat them 2 years earlier.

First of all being 2 years older doesn't mean you've declined, in fact for me Mayweather fought a better version of Cotto as he hadn't declined since the Pacquiao fight but he came in at a more comfortable weight and had a great game plan thanks to having a coach in his corner.

The same goes for Pacquiao fighting a better version of Marquez than Mayweather did at welterweight for similar reasons, I don't think Marquez had changed since Mayweather fought him but he had added the weight on better.

You can tell when you're dealing with a fanboy when they try to argue both to suit their agenda.
Toontoon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 12:22 PM   #2239
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontoon View Post
He also beat Baldomir who was the champion according to the same rankings.
Yep the lineal champ number 1 ranked WW, how could i forget. Truth is people for years have tried to shit on mayweather resume, which is laughable.

People said his resume at WW was weak, now why don't we look at it closer.

Beat Baldomir number 1 WW at time.
Beat Judah Former number 1 WW (correct me if i'm wrong)
Beat Hatton Undefeated former WBO champion. (gave up belt to move back down to 140)
Beat Marquez number 2 p4p ranked fighter (135 champ) This win has improved a hell of a lot since a much older marquez beat pac at WW last year.
Beat Mosley Number 1 WW at the time. (mosley destroyed margo)
Beat Ortiz number 3 WW at the time (Ortiz beat up Berto)

So we have Baldomir, Judah, Hatton, Marquez, Mosley and Ortiz all at 147.

Then we have Del La Hoya and Cotto at 154.

Most people would die to have a resume that filled and I've only discussed 147-154.

Floyd has grown through 5 weightclass undefeated, bloody amazing.
Bladegunner is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 12:51 PM   #2240
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post

Cotto weighs one pound less than the previous bout, shows no signs in the fight of being drained, doesn't even complain about it himself......yet the fans on messageboards know more and suddenly declare him weak - despite them having no issues with the catchweight before and immediately after the fight.

Laughable.

If we take the same route -- you know, pick up on every imperfection surrounding a fight to discredit the win -- then Floyd's resume would never be free, either:
  • Beats a weight-drained Corrales - that's right, Diego was struggling with his weight at the time. Oh, and he was mentally distracted with having to go to prison, apparently.
  • Forces JMM up to 144 in a catchweight he doesn't even stick to. JMM looked was bloated - as opposed to what he was against Pac.
  • Faces a 15-month inactive and overtrained Mosley.
  • Makes a midget Ricky Hatton come up to 147 to face him.
  • Takes on a Miguel Cotto 3-4 years too late after he'd taken career-damaging beatings from Marg and Pac.
  • Beats on a Zab Judah coming off a loss to Baldomir
See how ridiculous all of the above sound?

No fighter's record is free from crappy little nit-picks like the above.

It's also worth mentioning, Pacquiao has a lower-weight legacy he's proud of, too. His run in the bantam-featherweight days speaks volumes.
You can say all of that, but really it's just speculation.

FACT is that Pac tried to drain Cotto to 143, Cotto said no, I'm the champ. ARUM talked to Cotto's nutritionist and they (not Cotto) came to a weight of 145, and then Cotto got backed into a wall in signing the deal

Pretty scummy if you asked me. If having Cotto lose extra weight didn't mean anything, then Team PAC would have just let it go and let Cotto weigh whatever he wanted when he turned it down the first time.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 12:53 PM   #2241
reed_man02
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1391

Floyd haters are funny. They say people only buy Floyd fight to see him lose. Well, Floyd must be fighting great fighters if people actually think he has chance to lose? I mean, if I was a hater and only watched Floyd to see him lose, I would not buy a ppv in which I thought Floyd was fighting someone who had no chance. Truth is these haters shit on Floyd's resume but secretly think he is fighting a threat and buy the ppv in hopes he loses.
reed_man02 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 01:22 PM   #2242
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed_man02 View Post
Floyd haters are funny. They say people only buy Floyd fight to see him lose. Well, Floyd must be fighting great fighters if people actually think he has chance to lose? I mean, if I was a hater and only watched Floyd to see him lose, I would not buy a ppv in which I thought Floyd was fighting someone who had no chance. Truth is these haters shit on Floyd's resume but secretly think he is fighting a threat and buy the ppv in hopes he loses.
Old 06-19-2012, 01:24 PM   #2243
Staminakills
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Floyd always has been and always will be on a different planet than paq.

floyd is known as the most skilled boxer ever and one of the very best of all time.

while paq is a top 5/10 of this time, seriously
Staminakills is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 01:27 PM   #2244
dm29
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Pac beat same competition more impressively. DLH, Cotto, Hatton etc..

I think Floyd is going to be remembered as the guy who was scared of Pac, PBF avoided too many fighters.
dm29 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 01:31 PM   #2245
Foxy 01
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by tinorknitz View Post
Do we really have to do this again?

Cotto = struggled. Not did just Pac beat him first, Pac DEMOLISHED him.

Ortiz = the kitten who suddenly turned into a lion? Needed a sucker punch? Maidana's left over?

Mosley = Past prime. Almost died in the 2nd round. Pac knocked him down and made his bitch for 12 rounds.

Marquez = Cheated the scales? If that 1 lb on Pac v Cotto matters, surely those 2 lbs mattered.

Hatton = fatton. 'nuff said.

ODLH = Good split decision win IMHO.

This is the reason why Flomos are completely laughable when talking about resumes. You don't even need to consider Pac at welter, Pac of lower weights shits on whole Floyd's resume.
Do we really need to go through this again.

Show one example of Mayweather getting KTFO?

Never mind by a rickshaw driver, and a Chinese waiter.

Even making allowances for the fact that Pactards are naturally stupid even you must be able to understand that there actually IS a difference between 154, and 145, so your Cotto , and ODLH analogies are retarded even for a fully paid up Pactard.
Foxy 01 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 01:42 PM   #2246
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy 01 View Post

Even making allowances for the fact that Pactards are naturally stupid even you must be able to understand that there actually IS a difference between 154, and 145, so your Cotto , and ODLH analogies are retarded even for a fully paid up Pactard.
Old 06-19-2012, 02:10 PM   #2247
Leon
The Artful Dodger
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy 01 View Post

Leon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #2248
Thatman
No respond troll pactards
ESB Addict

Floyd has fought the higher ranked fighters, especially recently.
Thatman is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #2249
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Turbotime laughs everytime yall post in his trolling thread.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #2250
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
You can say all of that, but really it's just speculation.
Right, but saying Cotto was drained -- despite him showing no signs of it in the fight -- isn't speculation?

Quote:
FACT is that Pac tried to drain Cotto to 143, Cotto said no, I'm the champ. ARUM talked to Cotto's nutritionist and they (not Cotto) came to a weight of 145, and then Cotto got backed into a wall in signing the deal
Ok, so let me get this right - Cotto's nutritionist (who works for Cotto) gave consent to the 145 catchweight without bothering to make sure Cotto was cool with it. Come off it.

And of course Pac's lot initially suggested 143. Are you forgetting the time when this was made? You know, when Pac was still an unknown commodity at welterweight? When a catchweight was a given for that fight to happen? That's what people do in negotiations. They wanna' do and secure the most advantageous thing for themselves. Much like Mayweather, feeling dropping to 144 would harm his conditioning, decided to go against his word and do JMM over on the scales.

Quote:
Pretty scummy if you asked me. If having Cotto lose extra weight didn't mean anything, then Team PAC would have just let it go and let Cotto weigh whatever he wanted when he turned it down the first time.
Scummy, eh? See above example with Mayweather. That's scummy. Being a career featherweight asking a welterweight to drop two pounds whilst he himself is coming up five (from a division he's only ever had one fight at), is not scummy. It's reasonable - as evident by noone (not the fans, not Cotto, not noone!) having an issue with it before, during and immediately after the fight.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum