Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is now meaningless?
Agree 350 47.88%
Disagree 381 52.12%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2012, 06:09 PM   #2341
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,295
vCash: 107
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

C'mon if size didnt matter to Team Pac for Cotto, Margo, and Clottey why would it be a factor against Floyd, right? Right?
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-08-2012, 06:11 PM   #2342
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 976
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

LOL. This thread is a joke.

The construing of the thread title itself establishes the idea that Mayweather has to catch up with Pacman. This is utterly ridiculous.
Mayweather has been a stand alone talent in the sport of boxing regardless of Pacmans existence.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:14 PM   #2343
PaoloMirani
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Hearns at welter would absolutely eclipse Mayweather at welter. Hearns had a god damn 7 inch height advantage over Floyd.
I used Hearns as an extreme example to show how a significant reach gives one an advantage. The point is, reach is part of the equation when discussing size (size=physical dimensions). Part of the reason why boxing pundits put Pac in high regard is the way he's overcome his lack of it while campaigning at welter. Even at heavyweight, the taller longer guy with the longer jab trends to win...see Ali-Frazier, Lewis/Tyson. Wladimir/anyone....If you look back, the last person to decisively beat Pac was Morales, who worked behind a longer spearing jab that neutralized pac's offense. So when assessing resumes between the 2, that's also part of the equation as to where and why each rank respectively. Floyd is a true welter, Pac is a blown up lighweight campaigning at welter, and the way Pac has dominated despite this handicap is why he's comprehensively ranked higher than Floyd on any atg list.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
PaoloMirani is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:20 PM   #2344
PaoloMirani
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 1,659
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reppin501 View Post
So Floyd is "bigger" because he has a longer reach, even though their height and weight are nearly identical? Is this what you are trying to say?
I thought you were a smart guy? Bigger frame... put in another way, if they're both mandated to fight at 150, Pac has to work his ass off to maintain and attain that weight whereas Floyd has the natural frame to carry it. You're a college graduate, that shouldn't be too hard to comprehend.
PaoloMirani is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:27 PM   #2345
SUGAR J
P4P KING
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
I always ranked Pac above Mayweather as far as legacies go, and IMO Floyd is actually pulling up to him as far as legacies are concerned, if Pac keeps on with this (Margarito, Marquez, Bradley, Marquez again) and Floyd keeps fighting the #1 and #2 guys in their weights, it needs discussion.

Since Pac has moved up from 140:

Floyd fought Marquez (won handily) Beat Mosley (Champion, #1 Welter) Beat Ortiz (#2 welter) and now beat Cotto (Champion, #1 Junior Middle)

Pac has fought Cotto (#4 Welter) Clottey (#6 welter) Beat Mosley (#5 welter) Margarito (unranked) and Marquez (unranked, some felt he lost)

Right now it's pretty even. Thoughts?

Manny struggled to beat Mosley.

Manny got beat by Morales.

Manny deffo lost his last fight against Marquez.


Floyd has beaten some great fighters and has a far better resume.
SUGAR J is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:29 PM   #2346
Jimmy The Geek
Contender
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 509
vCash: 300
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Mayweather is afraid of Pacquiao. This is what history will show.
Jimmy The Geek is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:34 PM   #2347
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SUGAR J View Post
Manny struggled to beat Mosley.

Manny got beat by Morales.

Manny deffo lost his last fight against Marquez.


Floyd has beaten some great fighters and has a far better resume.
A lot would agree with that. Factor in Pac's KO losses early on and you could even say Mayweather has a better resume.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:38 PM   #2348
elchivito
master betty
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: section 8
Posts: 11,295
vCash: 107
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Floyd fought better versions of Oscar, Hatton, Cotto, and Mosley. If Pac can fight Cotto at 154 as he did with Margarito he would prove the first time wasn't a fluke. I have them pretty even with Floyd slightly ahead.
elchivito is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:39 PM   #2349
Nonito Smoak
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Washington State, USA
Posts: 14,892
vCash: 1478
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Wins
98- Genaro
98- Manfredy
01- Corrales
01- Chavez
02- Castillo X2
05- Gatti
06- Judah
06- Baldomir
07- Oscar
07- Hatton
09- JMM
10- Mosley
11- Ortiz
12- Cotto
Defeats
none
Draws
none

IS BETTER THAN

Wins
98- Sasakul
01- Ledwaba
03 and 07- Barrera X2
06- Morales X2
06- Larios
07- Solis
08 and 11- JMM X2
08- Diaz
08- Oscar
09- Hatton
09- Cotto
10- Clottey
11- Mosley
Defeats
96- Torrecampo
99- Singsurat
05- Morales
Draws
01- Sanchez
04- JMM
Nonito Smoak is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #2350
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaoloMirani View Post
I used Hearns as an extreme example to show how a significant reach gives one an advantage. The point is, reach is part of the equation when discussing size (size=physical dimensions). Part of the reason why boxing pundits put Pac in high regard is the way he's overcome his lack of it while campaigning at welter. Even at heavyweight, the taller longer guy with the longer jab trends to win...see Ali-Frazier, Lewis/Tyson. Wladimir/anyone....If you look back, the last person to decisively beat Pac was Morales, who worked behind a longer spearing jab that neutralized pac's offense. So when assessing resumes between the 2, that's also part of the equation as to where and why each rank respectively. Floyd is a true welter, Pac is a blown up lighweight campaigning at welter, and the way Pac has dominated despite this handicap is why he's comprehensively ranked higher than Floyd on any atg list.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Pac isn't a blown up lightweight at all. He just cut A TON of weight when he was fighting at lightweight and 130. He was weighing in as a god damn welterweight on fight night back in his 130 lb days.

Floyd NEVER did that, because he never cut as much weight.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:42 PM   #2351
SUGAR J
P4P KING
ESB Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: UK
Posts: 1,023
vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonito Smoak View Post
Wins
98- Genaro
98- Manfredy
01- Corrales
01- Chavez
02- Castillo X2
05- Gatti
06- Judah
06- Baldomir
07- Oscar
07- Hatton
09- JMM
10- Mosley
11- Ortiz
12- Cotto
Defeats
none
Draws
none

IS BETTER THAN

Wins
98- Sasakul
01- Ledwaba
03 and 07- Barrera X2
06- Morales X2
06- Larios
07- Solis
08 and 11- JMM X2
08- Diaz
08- Oscar
09- Hatton
09- Cotto
10- Clottey
11- Mosley
Defeats
96- Torrecampo
99- Singsurat
05- Morales
Draws
01- Sanchez
04- JMM

Totally right
SUGAR J is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:45 PM   #2352
IsaL
A D M I N
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: INGLEWOOD CA
Posts: 11,384
vCash: 740
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayrobinson View Post
In their prime days Manny was fighting Barrera , Morales and JMM.

Floyd in his prime was fighting Brussels , Gatti and fooking Shamba Mitchell.

This should not be forgotten . A legacy is not one year or one fight.
In Pac's prime according to you, Pac beat an againg Barrera, lost to a shot Morales, and got a gift against JMM...

Incredible RESUME!!!!
IsaL is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:46 PM   #2353
floyd_g.o.a.t
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 7,975
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

I hate this topic.
floyd_g.o.a.t is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:50 PM   #2354
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IsaL View Post
In Pac's prime according to you, Pac beat an againg Barrera, lost to a shot Morales, and got a gift against JMM...

Incredible RESUME!!!!
Yeah, I don't see Mayweather having the types of problems Pacquiao did with those guys at 130.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 06:54 PM   #2355
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,313
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Lots of votes for Pacquiao, not many explanations though.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:38 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013