Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum


View Poll Results: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is now meaningless?
Agree 356 48.04%
Disagree 385 51.96%
Voters: 741. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 05-09-2012, 11:29 AM   #2431
irishny
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 7,566
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabor View Post
mayweather never had a barrera or morales to fall back on. Those 2 guys are legends. Only guy on Mayweather resume is De la hoya. I'd say its pretty close. To seal their legacy, they must face each other and the winner will have the greater resume.
I think their legacies are quite close.

The fact that they've each been fighting the same guys for the past few years makes it hard to distinguish them.

Mayweather has been fighting top 3 in their divison ranked guys for pretty much the last decade. (outside of that Brusselles fight).

People talk about cherrypicking, but its hard to think of any bad fighters that hes fought.

You can say the same largely about Pacquiao.

They've both been fighting the best out there besides each other.
Prett much anyone whos anyone over the last 10 years between 130 and 154 has been beaten by one of the 2 of them.

They just NEED TO FIGHT EACH OTHER TO SETTLE IT!
irishny is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old 05-09-2012, 11:30 AM   #2432
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Sorry, Cotto was #3 as ranked by Ring mag. How could anyone have him #1 or #2 when he just got beat down by Margarito? It makes no sense.

Mosley
Floyd
Cotto
Clottey

He wasn't P4P though.
cotto was a top 9 p4p fighter and No.3 at WW when pac fought him.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:31 AM   #2433
FORMIDABLE
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 275
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Sorry, Cotto was #3 as ranked by Ring mag. How could anyone have him #1 or #2 when he just got beat down by Margarito? It makes no sense.

Mosley
Floyd
Cotto
Clottey

He wasn't P4P though.
Wrong, Cotto was ranked in the lower half when he fought Pac, same as Hatton... 9th actually [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Don't you get tired of the revisionist crap?

And Cotto could have easily been ranked #2, infact he should have been (atleast when Pac signed to fight him before Mayweather cheated a LW Marquez on the scales to take #2), given Mosley's destruction of Margarito, Margarito's subsequent suspension and Cotto coming off a win over top 5 Clottey (not to mention Mosley).
FORMIDABLE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:34 AM   #2434
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMIDABLE View Post
Wrong, Cotto was ranked in the lower half when he fought Pac, same as Hatton... 9th actually [Only registered and activated users can see links. ] Don't you get tired of the revisionist crap?

And Cotto could have easily been ranked #2, infact he should have been, given Mosley's destruction of Margarito, Margarito's subsequent suspension and Cotto coming off a win over top 5 Clottey (not to mention Mosley)
Cotto wasn't ranked #2 though. A lot think he lost to Clottey and he got whooped by Margarito. #3 for him is more than fair.

Mosley
Floyd
Cotto
Clottey

Then Pac entered, and became #1 while everyone got bumped down.
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:35 AM   #2435
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
cotto was a top 9 p4p fighter and No.3 at WW when pac fought him.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Cool, so he wasn't #2 at welter though. Pac hasn't fought a #1 or #2 guy since he fought Hatton 3 years ago.

Shame.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:41 AM   #2436
FORMIDABLE
Champion
East Side Guru
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 5,335
vCash: 275
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Cool, so he wasn't #2 at welter though. Pac hasn't fought a #1 or #2 guy since he fought Hatton 3 years ago.

Shame.
He was #2 when Pac signed to fight him.. Here's an article by Doug Fischer at the time criticising the Ring for displacing Cotto at #2 with Mayweather for beating Marquez. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
FORMIDABLE is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:43 AM   #2437
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORMIDABLE View Post
He was #2 when Pac signed to fight him. Pac wasn't #1 for beating DLH. Here's an article by Doug Fischer at the time criticising the Ring for displacing Cotto at #2 with Mayweather for beating Marquez. [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Doug Fischer hates Mayweather.

The fact is Cotto was #3 when Pac fought him.

When will Pac fight a #1 or #2 guy?
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:44 AM   #2438
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Cool, so he wasn't #2 at welter though. Pac hasn't fought a #1 or #2 guy since he fought Hatton 3 years ago.

Shame.
he was #2 when pac signed to fight him. some have him #1 over mosley since he has a win over him. he was moved down because floyd beat marquez at WW which imo should have not put floyd that high initially.

and being #1 and #2 at a division is not that much to brag when that division is weak. WW division was weak after 2009 that you have ortiz and berto as #3 and #4. LMW was a weak division that you have cotto arguably as #1.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #2439
kopejh
Belt holder
ESB Addict
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 1,721
vCash: 861
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
A great fighter is never defined by his losses. They are defined by their victories.
how the fuk do you retards come out with stuff like that?? jesus christ that's fuking hilarious.
kopejh is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:45 AM   #2440
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
he was #2 when pac signed to fight him. some have him #1 over mosley since he has a win over him. he was moved down because floyd beat marquez at WW which imo should have not put floyd that high initially.

and being #1 and #2 at a division is not that much to brag when that division is weak. WW division was weak after 2009 that you have ortiz and berto as #3 and #4. LMW was a weak division that you have cotto arguably as #1.
Pactards maybe.

The fact is Cotto was #3 when Pac fought him. Let it sink in, it's ok.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:47 AM   #2441
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Doug Fischer hates Mayweather.

The fact is Cotto was #3 when Pac fought him.

When will Pac fight a #1 or #2 guy?
fischer has a point. why move floyd that high when he beat marquez at a supposed catchweigth fight and he didn't even honor the catchweight. if floyd came back and let's say dominated clottey (who was ranked as #4/5 WW that time) then floyd has a case to be that high.

and before cotto was demoted, pac signed to fight him as the #2 WW.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #2442
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Pactards maybe.

The fact is Cotto was #3 when Pac fought him. Let it sink in, it's ok.

and you think that cotto is shit now just because he is #3 and not #2?
and cotto was at his very prime back then and a p4p fighter.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:51 AM   #2443
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
fischer has a point. why move floyd that high when he beat marquez at a supposed catchweigth fight and he didn't even honor the catchweight. if floyd came back and let's say dominated clottey (who was ranked as #4/5 WW that time) then floyd has a case to be that high.

and before cotto was demoted, pac signed to fight him as the #2 WW.
Because Floyd was #1 at welterweight for years, would be favoured over everyone there, and he came out of retirement so he was rightfully given a high spot in his return.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:52 AM   #2444
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: Apr 2007
Posts: 20,897
vCash: 75
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
Because Floyd was #1 at welterweight for years, would be favoured over everyone there, and he came out of retirement so he was rightfully given a high spot in his return.
so why not put him above mosley then?
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:53 AM   #2445
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: LA/Canada
Posts: 18,342
vCash: 816
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
so why not put him above mosley then?
Because Mosley's win in 2009 was better than Floyd's win.
turbotime is offline  Top
Reply With Quote
Reply

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump





All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:59 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Boxing News 24 Forum 2013