Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is now meaningless?
Agree 350 47.88%
Disagree 381 52.12%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 11:10 AM   #2671
GOW7
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

It's funny how people still act Manny to some degree isn't a fraud. Every notable win was either against an old guy, robbery, or some weight stipulation was implemented and after an opponent looked like shit. JMM proved Manny has not evolved or improved how people have said. Manny is complemented with smoke and mirrors and no one can deny that.
GOW7 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #2672
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
My man, thanks for taking the time to reply, but it wasn't necessary. I don't believe any of those points I've just made. I've actually said they're ridiculous. I only wrote them to illustrate the point that you can try and pick holes (and exaggerate them) in anyone's resume.

And please, don't give me the Corrales excuse. I don't buy that. I agree, Floyd would have beat him like that regardless.
Point taking.

My apologies for reponding. I take this boxing s--t serious, lol!
Don't Sleep is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 11:25 AM   #2673
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Sleep View Post
Point taking.

My apologies for reponding. I take this boxing s--t serious, lol!
Lol Cool
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 11:35 AM   #2674
reed_man02
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 1391

Quote:
Originally Posted by puga_ni_nana View Post
one is fighting once a year with long vacations in between and the other one is fighting twice a year.

since 2008 pac has fought:
delahoya
hatton
cotto
clottey
margarito
mosley
marquez3
bradley

since 2008 floyd has fought:
marquez
mosley
ortiz
cotto

and before all of these, pac has fought the 3 mexican ATGs at or near their prime weights.
Floyd has fought most of the opponents pac has fought and first. Only fighters floyd never fought was Bradley who pac lost to, Margo who hasn't done shit once he was found out to be a cheater, and Clottey who was never that good. I doubt floyd would have been able to sell a fight against Clottey because Clottey can never seem to beat the elite and everyone knows this.
reed_man02 is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 11:39 AM   #2675
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed_man02 View Post
Floyd has fought most of the opponents pac has fought and first. Only fighters floyd never fought was Bradley who pac lost to, Margo who hasn't done shit once he was found out to be a cheater, and Clottey who was never that good. I doubt floyd would have been able to sell a fight against Clottey because Clottey can never seem to beat the elite and everyone knows this.
and yet you think floyd's cotto win was great when cotto was coming over a win against margarito that was ruined by pac?

pac fought every relevant WW when floyd was on vacation or fighting someone else but pac had just recently been a WW compared to floyd who was there 3 years earlier than pac.
puga_ni_nana is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #2676
reed_man02
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
and yet you think floyd's cotto win was great when cotto was coming over a win against margarito that was ruined by pac?

pac fought every relevant WW when floyd was on vacation or fighting someone else but pac had just recently been a WW compared to floyd who was there 3 years earlier than pac.
I think Cotto's win was good because Cotto showed he handled the weight well and was on a nice win streak, not just because he beat margo. It was also at a weight that was uncomfortable to pbf whereas pac fought Cotto at a weight that comfortable to him. That could explain the difference in performance for Cotto.

Floyd has also fought all the relevent WWs plus Ortiz, who pac has yet to face. Margo was found out to be a cheat so he doesn't count unless pac had beaten him pre wraps controversy. Clottey was a good win for pac but he was never anything special and there was never any demand for floyd to fight him.
Old 06-19-2012, 11:51 AM   #2677
Don't Sleep
Personal Trainer
ESB Senior Member

Quote:

He only fought one revelantg WW and that was Cotto.

ODLH was not relevant WW (he hadnt fought there in over 5 years prior to fighting pac)
He fought Hatton at Super Light Weight
Clotey (not a top 3) was not revelant for a p4p fighter too face
Margrito had just been destroyed against Mosley and was not a WW anymore
Mosley was not even a champion nor was he a top 3 WW when Manny fought him
JMM who arguably beat him in 2011, was not a WW
Bradley who did beat him really isnt a WW though they fought at WW

Dont take this as a hate post. Pac has been good for the sport the last few years and I like the way he carries himself. But we can all agree that his WW opponents (smaller weights no argument) have not been revelant for a so called P4P fighter. Remember we have to look at when fighters beat their opponents (i.e. how they looked in therir previous fight, their rankings, weight class, etc...) to justify how revelant the win is.

Again much respect to Pac, but his WW resume isnt great at all.
Don't Sleep is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 11:53 AM   #2678
Toontoon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 117

Not much difference between them although Mayweather will be looked on more favourably in the future when the hate goes and people remember him for what a fantastic boxer he was.

Pacquiao has the slightly better resume however Mayweather's skill set makes up for that.

If they fight in the next 18 months then the winner will clearly have the best legacy for me.
Toontoon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 11:55 AM   #2679
Dunks
Absolute Grandmaster
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by RSBonos View Post

Ring Magazine Welterweight Rankings may 2009

1. Shane Mosley
2. Miguel Cotto
3. Antonio Margarito
4. Joshua Clottey
5. Manny Pac

Pac destroyed everyone of them while Floyd looked for the urge to fight.
Mayweather has beat the #1ww twice, this is something PAC has never done at ww
Dunks is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 11:59 AM   #2680
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don't Sleep View Post
He only fought one revelantg WW and that was Cotto.

ODLH was not relevant WW (he hadnt fought there in over 5 years prior to fighting pac)
Clotey (not a top 3) was not revelant for a p4p fighter too face
Margrito had just been destroyed against Mosley and was not a WW anymore
Mosley was not even a champion nor was he a top 3 WW when Manny fought him
JMM who arguably beat him in 2011, was not a WW
Bradley who did beat him really isnt a WW though they fought at WW

Dont take this as a hate post. Pac has been good for the sport the last few years and I like the way he carries himself. But we can all agree that his WW opponents (smaller weights no argument) have not been revelant for a so called P4P fighter. Remember we have to look at when fighters beat their opponents (i.e. how they looked in therir previous fight, their rankings, weight class, etc...) to justify how revelant the win is.

Again much respect to Pac, but his WW resume isnt great at all.
the relevant WWs at the time when pac was fighting at 130/135 are cotto, margarito, mosley, williams, clottey, quintana and some others. that was back in 2006-2009 when these guys are fighting each other while floyd is fighting hatton, on vacation or marquez.

pac has fought all these relevant WWs, aside from williams (who by the time pac moved to WW, has moved up a division or two). floyd has fought two of these relevant WWs and both are way overdue already.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #2681
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed_man02 View Post
I think Cotto's win was good because Cotto showed he handled the weight well and was on a nice win streak, not just because he beat margo. It was also at a weight that was uncomfortable to pbf whereas pac fought Cotto at a weight that comfortable to him. That could explain the difference in performance for Cotto.

Floyd has also fought all the relevent WWs plus Ortiz, who pac has yet to face. Margo was found out to be a cheat so he doesn't count unless pac had beaten him pre wraps controversy. Clottey was a good win for pac but he was never anything special and there was never any demand for floyd to fight him.
a nice win streak over foreman and mayorga? LMW division is weak. cotto went up to that division after he got beaten up by pac at WW. ortiz became a WW player after berto who was a bit overrated in the first place.
Old 06-19-2012, 12:03 PM   #2682
cainne
Noli Mi Tangere
ESB Jr Member

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

this house will tell whose greater legacy-wise betwn floyd and pacquiao just by looking at it for a couple of seconds.
cainne is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 12:06 PM   #2683
puga_ni_nana
Dempsey Roll
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by cainne View Post
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

this house will tell whose greater legacy-wise betwn floyd and pacquiao just by looking at it for a couple of seconds.

**** you!

good thing i have a hint already...
Old 06-19-2012, 12:07 PM   #2684
Toontoon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 117

Quote:
a nice win streak over foreman and mayorga? LMW division is weak. cotto went up to that division after he got beaten up by pac at WW. ortiz became a WW player after berto who was a bit overrated in the first place.
What does Cotto losing to Pacquiao have to do with anything, really?
Toontoon is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 12:09 PM   #2685
reed_man02
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
No, he moved up because he didn't want to cut weight anymore. He was also able to win his first non-vacent title.

Ortiz was a WW player regardless of what you think of Berto. Ortiz was a good win for Floyd, on par if not better than Clottey was for pac. Margo was a cheater and I don't rate that win for Pac because we don't know how good he really is because Margo has looked terrible since being caught.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum