Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Mayweather vs. Pacquiao is now meaningless?
Agree 350 47.88%
Disagree 381 52.12%
Voters: 731. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-19-2012, 02:13 PM   #2701
Thatman
No respond troll pactards
ESB Addict

vCash: 500
Default Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Floyd has fought the higher ranked fighters, especially recently.
Thatman is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-19-2012, 02:33 PM   #2702
Ali_
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Turbotime laughs everytime yall post in his trolling thread.
Ali_ is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 02:42 PM   #2703
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotime View Post
You can say all of that, but really it's just speculation.
Right, but saying Cotto was drained -- despite him showing no signs of it in the fight -- isn't speculation?

Quote:
FACT is that Pac tried to drain Cotto to 143, Cotto said no, I'm the champ. ARUM talked to Cotto's nutritionist and they (not Cotto) came to a weight of 145, and then Cotto got backed into a wall in signing the deal
Ok, so let me get this right - Cotto's nutritionist (who works for Cotto) gave consent to the 145 catchweight without bothering to make sure Cotto was cool with it. Come off it.

And of course Pac's lot initially suggested 143. Are you forgetting the time when this was made? You know, when Pac was still an unknown commodity at welterweight? When a catchweight was a given for that fight to happen? That's what people do in negotiations. They wanna' do and secure the most advantageous thing for themselves. Much like Mayweather, feeling dropping to 144 would harm his conditioning, decided to go against his word and do JMM over on the scales.

Quote:
Pretty scummy if you asked me. If having Cotto lose extra weight didn't mean anything, then Team PAC would have just let it go and let Cotto weigh whatever he wanted when he turned it down the first time.
Scummy, eh? See above example with Mayweather. That's scummy. Being a career featherweight asking a welterweight to drop two pounds whilst he himself is coming up five (from a division he's only ever had one fight at), is not scummy. It's reasonable - as evident by noone (not the fans, not Cotto, not noone!) having an issue with it before, during and immediately after the fight.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 02:45 PM   #2704
Dunks
Absolute Grandmaster
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toontoon View Post
He also beat Baldomir who was the champion according to the same rankings.
Baldomir was ranked #1 at WW by everyone
Dunks is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 02:47 PM   #2705
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

vCash: 816

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
Right, but saying Cotto was drained -- despite him showing no signs of it in the fight -- isn't speculation?

Ok, so let me get this right - Cotto's nutritionist (who works for Cotto) gave consent to the 145 catchweight without bothering to make sure Cotto was cool with it. Come off it.

And of course Pac's lot initially suggested 143. Are you forgetting the time when this was made? You know, when Pac was still an unknown commodity at welterweight? When a catchweight was a given for that fight to happen? That's what people do in negotiations. They wanna' do and secure the most advantageous thing for themselves. Much like Mayweather, feeling dropping to 144 would harm his conditioning, decided to go against his word and do JMM over on the scales.

Scummy, eh? See above example with Mayweather. That's scummy. Being a career featherweight asking a welterweight to drop two pounds whilst he himself is coming up five (from a division he's only ever had one fight at), is not scummy. It's reasonable - as evident by noone (not the fans, not Cotto, not noone!) having an issue with it before, during and immediately after the fight.
Yes, Arum went to Cotto's nutritionist after Cotto turned down 143. Look it up.

I have said on multiple occasions that wht Mayweather did to Marquez was BS and it tarnished the victory. Hell I don't even really rate the win for Mayweather because of it.

The Cotto win, same logic applies. Cotto even said- once Arum finally had his puppet hands out of Cotto's ass- that cutting that weight for Pacquiao DID harm his body and he was not willing to do it again, which is why he turned the rematch down. That says a lot when someone like Cotto turns down a fight because he didn't want to go through the draining.
turbotime is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 03:05 PM   #2706
Uncle Rico
P4P King
East Side VIP

Quote:
Yes, Arum went to Cotto's nutritionist after Cotto turned down 143. Look it up.
And again I ask you - Cotto had no say in it? Cotto's nutritionist, the who works for Cotto, ignored Cotto's pleas for it to be at 147 and set a deal for him to drop two extra pounds?

Right.

Quote:
Cotto even said- once Arum finally had his puppet hands out of Cotto's ass- that cutting that weight for Pacquiao DID harm his body and he was not willing to do it again, which is why he turned the rematch down. That says a lot when someone like Cotto turns down a fight because he didn't want to go through the draining.
Cotto turned down the fight and bargained harder because he had more options on the table. One of them being a more lucrative fight with Mayweather which made the Pacquiao option not all that attractive. So, quite rightly, if he was to turn the Mayweather fight away for Pacquiao, they needed to have offered him something something worthwhile. Dropping down to 147 when he could remain at 154, was not worthwhile. That "sacrificing my body again" was him being insistent on not wanting to go below 154. In the three years since that Pac defeat, not once has he came out and said he felt weak because of the 145 catchweight.

And enough with nonsense about Cotto being too afraid to speak out when with Arum. After the Margarito scandal, his criticisms towards Margarito and Arum were not held back. Nor were his demands in the Margarito rematch - a 153 catchweight (after cheekily requesting 150 ) and threatening to pull out if the fight was moved from NYC.
Uncle Rico is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 03:07 PM   #2707
Bladegunner
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxy 01 View Post
Do we really need to go through this again.

Show one example of Mayweather getting KTFO?

Never mind by a rickshaw driver, and a Chinese waiter.

Even making allowances for the fact that Pactards are naturally stupid even you must be able to understand that there actually IS a difference between 154, and 145, so your Cotto , and ODLH analogies are retarded even for a fully paid up Pactard.
Bladegunner is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 03:08 PM   #2708
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Rico View Post
And again I ask you - Cotto had no say in it? Cotto's nutritionist, the who works for Cotto, ignored Cotto's pleas for it to be at 147 and set a deal for him to drop two extra pounds?

Right.

Cotto turned down the fight and bargained harder because he had more options on the table. One of them being a more lucrative fight with Mayweather which made the Pacquiao option not all that attractive. So, quite rightly, if he was to turn the Mayweather fight away for Pacquiao, they needed to have offered him something something worthwhile. Dropping down to 147 when he could remain at 154, was not worthwhile. That "sacrificing my body again" was him being insistent on not wanting to go below 154. In the three years since that Pac defeat, not once has he came out and said he felt weak because of the 145 catchweight.

And enough with nonsense about Cotto being too afraid to speak out when with Arum. After the Margarito scandal, his criticisms towards Margarito and Arum were not held back. Nor were his demands in the Margarito rematch - a 153 catchweight (after cheekily requesting 150 ) and threatening to pull out if the fight was moved from NYC.
Cotto was a company man LONG before Pacquiao was. Of course he isn't going to say no to Uncle Bob after he went behind his back to his nutritionist.

I think I'll go with what Cotto says in regards to how he drained himself for Pac, over what you THINK Cotto was thinking when a rematch was put on the table.

Thanks for the input though
Old 06-19-2012, 03:11 PM   #2709
megavolt
Constantly Shadowboxing
East Side Guru

Cotto said he was fine at the time

But anyway- the Marquez match did more damage to Pac's "invincibility" (yet really helped serve to lift Marquez) than the Bradley match
megavolt is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 03:15 PM   #2710
Dunks
Absolute Grandmaster
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Thumbs up Re: Is Floyd pulling close to Pacquiao legacy-wise?

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed_man02 View Post
Floyd haters are funny. They say people only buy Floyd fight to see him lose. Well, Floyd must be fighting great fighters if people actually think he has chance to lose? I mean, if I was a hater and only watched Floyd to see him lose, I would not buy a ppv in which I thought Floyd was fighting someone who had no chance. Truth is these haters shit on Floyd's resume but secretly think he is fighting a threat and buy the ppv in hopes he loses.
Yep basically this
Dunks is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 04:55 PM   #2711
leftleftright
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 915

The discussion starts with --

A. Floyd is scared. He will dodge FILL IN THE BLANK. The fight will never get made.
B. Ok so the fight got made but Floyd's gonna get his ass kicked FILL IN THE BLANK is too [Pick One -- fast, quick, strong, big]
C. Well floyd waited until FILL IN THE BLANK was past his prime, and even though Pac fought him even later (or weight drained, or fought to a draw and/or controversial split/mixed decision), Pac's resume is stronger.

What do you have to smoke to believe this???
leftleftright is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 05:04 PM   #2712
leftleftright
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 915

The only thing Pac's resume has on Floyd's is volume. They've essentially fought similar talent but Floyd is undefeated and Pac has 4 losses and 2 draws. Is there some ATG on Pac's resume that I'm missing? How is this difficult?
leftleftright is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 05:06 PM   #2713
Truth_is_YDKSAB
Journeyman
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popkins View Post
So Mayweather pulls close to Pacquiao by going life and death with an older, more declined version of a guy that Pacquiao absolutely beat the shit out of???
This. What the **** kind of logic is that?
Truth_is_YDKSAB is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 05:13 PM   #2714
Thatman
No respond troll pactards
ESB Addict

Yes easily.

Go check the rankings.

To those who say Floyd went life and death with Cotto i'll spit on you if I saw you.

Floyd took 10 out of 12 rounds.

Meantime Pacquiao lost to Marquez.

Floyd fights the higher ranked fighters. Floyd fought 3 top 10 in a row.

Hatton
Marquez
Mosley

Not to mention Floyd has not fought an unranked or non top 3 in a divsion or top 10 pound 4 pound since fighting Mitchell in 2005.

Pacquiao fights #6 Mosley and #6 Clottey plus an unranked Margarito. Struggles with both top 10 he just went up against in Marquez and Bradley. Lost to Marquez but beat Bradley.

Floyd has lost 3 rounds since returning from retirement.

120-107 over #2 pound 4 pound Marquez

119-109 over #3 pound 4 pound Mosley #2 WW at the time-lost round 2

40-35 at time of stoppage over Ortiz. Minus 1 on the headbutt plus minus 1 on the KD.

118-110 over #1 JMW Coto. lost rounds 6 and 8.

Pacquiao lost 9 rounds to Marquez, 4 rounds to Bradley.
Thatman is offline  Top
Old 06-19-2012, 05:15 PM   #2715
turbotime
Future Hall Of Famer
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truth_is_YDKSAB View Post
This. What the **** kind of logic is that?
Lance_uppercut please stay the **** out of my threads.

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum