Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 09-04-2010, 09:07 PM   #211
buster007
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1166
Default Re: Kali Meehan vs Evans Quinn (18-4-1) - 2nd Sept

quinn looked confident? lol. the guy ran the whole time and refused to engage because he was petrified of being ko'ed ffs. have a look after he was tagged a couple of times, he went quiet for a little bit after it and stayed well away from meehan and virtually threw no punches because he didn't want to get within striking distance of meehan.

and i don't believe quinn won a single round tbh.
buster007 is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-04-2010, 09:24 PM   #212
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashley View Post
His trusts his corner now mate...A bit hard when starting out fighting in a new country with no background on your new trainers.

I can tell you the guy was sick through the fight...he threw up in rounds 2 and 8 with some dry reaching in 3 other rounds.

End of the day with some good sparring and trust in his corner to call the shots he will be an interesting prospect.

I watched him today at southbank catch a pidgon in his hands and give it to my daughter to pat....the guy is fast.....try to catch one yourself if you think its easy

With Alex and Evans sparring he will come along to where we thought he would be in the Meehan fight.

Again......congratz to Meehan for a job well done...he was better on the night thats for sure

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2010, 01:36 AM   #213
PIPO23
Champion
East Side Guru

My last post here.

Well, I just want to correct andy raymonds bolo punch comment on FOX an over hand right is not a BOLO punch. A bolo punch is kinda like an angled upper cut thrown at distance which is similar to suger cane farmer cutting motion with a BOLO.

A bolo punch is a punch used in boxing. The bolo punch is not among the traditional boxing punches (jab, uppercut, hook and cross) and is seldom used, especially during combinations.

Fighters who include the bolo punch in their repertoire often use it as a tactical maneuver without actually attempting a blow. Its most important aspect is a circular motion performed with one arm to distract an opponent, causing the opponent to either take his eyes off the attacker's other arm or actually focus on the fighter's circling arm. When the opponent concentrates on the hand that is circling, the bolo puncher will usually sneak in a punch with the opposite hand. When the rival concentrates on the hand that is not moving, the bolo puncher will usually follow through with a full punch.

A left bolo punch in attack

A left bolo punch in counterpunch

Ceferino Garcia is commonly referred to as the inventor of the bolo punch, though a 1924 article appearing in the Tacoma News-Tribune reported a Filipino boxer named Macario Flores to be using it. Garcia, Kid Gavilan and Sugar Ray Leonard are widely recognized as three of the best bolo punchers in boxing history. Roy Jones Jr. and Joe Calzaghe also use the bolo punch frequently.

When asked once how he came to develop the wide sweeping uppercut, Garcia said that as a youth he cut sugarcane in the Philippine Islands with a bolo knife, which he would wield in a sweeping uppercut fashion.

Three of the most famous cases of a fighter using the bolo punch were when Leonard avenged his loss to Roberto Durán (see "The No Más Fight"), when Leonard drew with Thomas Hearns in their second fight (see Sugar Ray Leonard vs. Thomas Hearns), and when Ike Ibeabuchi knocked out Chris Byrd with a left-handed bolo punch during their 1999 heavyweight contest.

That's what i thought too before. However, if my observation serves me right, a person cuts sugarcane with sweeping motion from under, not from above. Try to imagine it. Sometimes, we get literally carried away by our initial impression of its origin. But as i came to know that punch in various occasions i had witnessed, mainly in Leonard's fights (utilized more as a decoy), it really came from under or it would have been a left/right overhand if thrown from the top.
PIPO23 is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2010, 01:44 AM   #214
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

NEWSFLASH

Andy Raymond gets something wrong during commentary, shock gasp horror!
LeonMcS is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2010, 02:56 AM   #215
Kegsy
Lights Out
East Side VIP

vCash: 1275

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonMcS View Post
NEWSFLASH

Andy Raymond gets something wrong during commentary, shock gasp horror!
Kegsy is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2010, 04:11 AM   #216
perfect jet
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Thanks for teaching me the true art of the bolo. although i didnt read it all, i felt like i was listening to teddy atlas giving a lesson on footwork during rd 5 ward v gatti.

All the best pipo.
perfect jet is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2010, 05:36 AM   #217
COULDHAVEBEEN
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 970

How's that Meehan v Quinn upload progressing?

Leon?

Kegsy?
COULDHAVEBEEN is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2010, 06:19 AM   #218
andoshow
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75

Quote:
Originally Posted by COULDHAVEBEEN View Post
How's that Meehan v Quinn upload progressing?

Leon?

Kegsy?
Touche
andoshow is offline  Top
Old 09-06-2010, 08:17 AM   #219
LeonMcS
The Mayor of Kronkton
East Side Guru

Honestly, it'd be less effort for me if you just pm me your addresses and I'll send it out gratis, Josey included.
LeonMcS is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum