Boxing  

Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum

View Poll Results: Prime Larry Holmes vs prime Rocky Marciano (15 rounds)
Holmes by KO/TKO 17 21.52%
Holmes by decision 33 41.77%
Draw 2 2.53%
Marciano by KO/TKO 23 29.11%
Marciano by decision 4 5.06%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-26-2010, 11:48 PM   #1
Ramon Rojo
Gatekeeper
ESB Full Member

vCash: 75
Default Prime Larry Holmes vs prime Rocky Marciano (15 rounds)

"Marciano couldn't carry my jockstrap"

-Larry Holmes

Ramon Rojo is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 AM   #2
Cachibatches
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000
Default Re: Prime Larry Holmes vs prime Rocky Marciano (15 rounds)

Love Rocky, but I think Holmes takes a relatively easy decsion. Too big, too much reach, too goo a jab. Rock never faced anyone like that.
Cachibatches is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 08:06 AM   #3
he grant
Historian/Film Maker
East Side Guru

Holmes by wide decision or TKO on cuts ..
he grant is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 12:19 PM   #4
reznick
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

Im surprised Holmes said that lol

I really wish I seen Holmes matched up with some real legends the way Ali did with Frazier Liston and Foreman. And the way Marciano did with Walcott Charles and Moore

If you guys were trying to convince me that Holmes is a top 3 fighter, which fight would you tell me to watch?
reznick is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #5
Stevie G
Champion
East Side Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by he grant View Post
Holmes by wide decision or TKO on cuts ..
Similar to how I see it. Marciano could deck Holmes in the early rounds,and cause him all sorts of problems,but Rocky would get badly cut before the final round,prompting the referee to step in.
Stevie G is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 12:32 PM   #6
turpinr
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cachibatches View Post
Love Rocky, but I think Holmes takes a relatively easy decsion. Too big, too much reach, too goo a jab. Rock never faced anyone like that.
can't argue with that
turpinr is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 12:47 PM   #7
Bill1234
Belt holder
ESB Addict

I think Marciano would take a close decision. I think he would be able to close the gap and land some hard punches on the inside where he would do most of his effective work. He would eat a lot of jabs on the way in but I think he would be able to use his superior strength to rough Holmes up and force a fight out of it, which would be very entertaining.

Holmes recently said that he feels Marciano would have given him the toughest fight, and it sounded genuine, not just trying to make up for his comments from 25 years ago.
Bill1234 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #8
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

This would be a war. Anyone who doesn't realize this would be a very close fight does not know what their talking about. Marciano got taken to very close fights by smaller, older ATG's, while holmes struggled big time with far inferior fighters to marciano. If you look at both of their records, there is nothing to suggest this would be an easy fight for either. Holmes big advantages here are his height, jab, uppercut, and fast straight punches which rocky was susceptible too. Holmes will give a crouching rocky fits with his uppercut. Marciano's big advantage is the Suzy Q right hand which holmes is a sucker for, holmes' bad habit of trying to brawl his way out of trouble, and marciano's non stop workrate. Can Larry's big heart enable him to survive Marciano's late onslaught? Can Larry's chin survive a couple big Marciano Suzy Q's? Also, please enough with these cut stoppage predictions. It's preposterous. Marciano never lost a fight due to cuts, so he shouldn't be penalized in fantasy matchups.

I have to think a bit more on the outcome, I am still undecided.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
laxpdx
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Holmes would initially trouble Rocky with his reach and jab, but it's only a matter of time before the focused Marciano eventually gets to him with his all-out, non-stop assault. I think he wears Larry down late.
laxpdx is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 05:41 PM   #10
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
This would be a war. Anyone who doesn't realize this would be a very close fight does not know what their talking about. Marciano got taken to very close fights by smaller, older ATG's, while holmes struggled big time with far inferior fighters to marciano. If you look at both of their records, there is nothing to suggest this would be an easy fight for either. Holmes big advantages here are his height, jab, uppercut, and fast straight punches which rocky was susceptible too. Holmes will give a crouching rocky fits with his uppercut. Marciano's big advantage is the Suzy Q right hand which holmes is a sucker for, holmes' bad habit of trying to brawl his way out of trouble, and marciano's non stop workrate. Can Larry's big heart enable him to survive Marciano's late onslaught? Can Larry's chin survive a couple big Marciano Suzy Q's? Also, please enough with these cut stoppage predictions. It's preposterous. Marciano never lost a fight due to cuts, so he shouldn't be penalized in fantasy matchups.

I have to think a bit more on the outcome, I am still undecided.
I'm not sure the uppercut is so much of a threat because Rocky gets so low.

I think Holmes is a much better matchup for Marciano than Ali.

Holmes had a sort of macho quality underneath it all that allowed to him to fight it out more than Ali did. He was also more open to the right hand and not as mobile. He's not as technical as Ezzard Charles, but he's certainly better. He's not going to block and nullify Marciano's attack as effectively, I think he'll do it by catching punches, using his reflex, and movement. Somewhere in between what Charles and Ali would do Holmes would do regarding defense.

Just to make a point, as many like to use the first Charles fight as a barometer to how Marciano does to these bigger ATG fast type fighters. To be fair, Marciano did call it his "worst fight" and said he should have had him finished in the 6th round, and thought he had many opportunities, including the last round which he thought he had Charles going.

I want to say I think Holmes wins 6 or 7 out of 10 times. But I'm not quite sure, Holmes could be even more susceptible than that. It would be a war, no doubt.
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 06:02 PM   #11
SuzieQ49
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Just to make a point, as many like to use the first Charles fight as a barometer to how Marciano does to these bigger ATG fast type fighters.
I don't. I use the 1st Walcott fight. I felt Walcott of 1952 was by far the best fighter Marcano faced.
SuzieQ49 is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 06:29 PM   #12
PetethePrince
Slick & Redheaded
East Side VIP

vCash: 1200

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuzieQ49 View Post
I don't. I use the 1st Walcott fight. I felt Walcott of 1952 was by far the best fighter Marcano faced.
Sorry to confuse, I didn't mean you personally. I've just seen some people use that fight as a measure stick for Marciano against Ali or Holmes. I think it's fair for Marciano's sake to at least recognize that he thought it was his worst fight. That's all...
PetethePrince is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 06:55 PM   #13
MRBILL
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramon Rojo View Post
"Marciano couldn't carry my jockstrap"

-Larry Holmes

Holmes at 6' 3 1/2" tall and a primed 212 pounds is just too skilled, savvy and great for the hardcore, rugged Rocco Marciano......

A great match-up with master Boxer against tough Brawler, Larry schools Rocky overall........

Holmes TKO 13 Marciano........

MR.BILL
MRBILL is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 07:19 PM   #14
gentleman jim
gentleman jim
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 500

If we're talking about the Holmes that beat Shavers in thier 1st fight then I have to pick Larry. Too tall and mobile with a ridiculous reach advantage to boot. Larry's jab alone would be the deciding factor. Rocky fought in the 50's when HW's were generally smaller and slower than they were in Larry's time. Ali ushered in the era of bigger more athletic athletes in all sports including boxing. You began to see athletes like Wilt Chaimberlan and Bill Russell and Jim Brown. Not just big and strong but athletic all around. Rocky never fought a man as big and good as Larry and I think he wouldn't be able to overcome the size and speed of a prime Holmes. Honestly, how the hell does he reach Larry consistently enough to finish him? With hand and foot speed? Set Larry up with a fast jab/right hand combo? No. Prime Holmes wins. Holmes of the late 80's might be a different story but not Holmes at his best.
gentleman jim is offline  Top
Old 08-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #15
RockysSplitNose
Belt holder
ESB Addict

[quote=SuzieQ49;7626543] Also, please enough with these cut stoppage predictions. It's preposterous. Marciano never lost a fight due to cuts, so he shouldn't be penalized in fantasy matchups.quote]

HERE HERE SUZIE - All these "oh he'd eventually cut him pretty bad and the referee would have to call a halt" shouts are just plain ridiculous - aside from the obvious freakish split nose thing (which you can pretty much forget about because that was like a million to one shot thing of happening - how many times have you ever seen a split nose like that ever with anyone??? NEVER IS THE ANSWER) Marciano was never even close to being stopped on cuts in his entire career!!!! Just because he did cut everyone assumes he would get STOPPED on cuts!!?? It's ridiculous - how many times did Larry Holmes ever win any of his top fights on cuts anyway!!?? It's like saying well I predict that Sonny Liston would quit against any of the top 10 heavys in history, or I predict Hasim Rahman would get a bizarre scary brick-sized swelling bulging out of his head everytime he fought anyone as good as Holyfield and would get stopped as a result Next time I here anyone spin the old Marciano would get stopped on cuts bilge I'm just going to disregard them as an oh I can't be bothered to think about it type of poster
RockysSplitNose is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Classic Boxing Forum