Old 09-03-2010, 03:03 AM   #31
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

vCash: 1000
Default Re: training the legs for boxing specific speed and power

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pep View Post
Could try treading water in a pool with weights above your head. Low impact workout for endurance and fatigue of the lower body. Water polo players tread while holding pool furniture above them. I think swimming in general would be a good thing for any athlete to put into their routine for low impact leg work.

Squats are the bread and butter of most leg strengthening programs for athletes. These have to be done correctly for the obvious reason of reducing injury, but also to target your goal, hip drive. Second the Mark Rippetoe reference. Youtube his squat videos and he goes through the importance of form. Increasing your hip drive intensity should translate to power and speed. Skip the leg press machine at the gym and head to that squat rack. Never neglect strengthening your back and core.

Also stretching and balance. You can make an indo board, it is a real cheap balance toy. 2 liter soda bottle full of water and a piece of plywood or skateboard deck. Get real low on it like your squatting weights and your legs will be shaking furiously.

Its hard to pinpoint boxing specific work, because nothing can match up to the repetition that creates the muscle memory of drilling proper technique. Hope this helps.
Explain to me how streching would increase power. That is utter bollocks.
brown bomber is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-03-2010, 04:04 AM   #32
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Muscle energy works on the contraction, the more supple the muscle better the expansion. Bigger the expansion bigger the contraction, less chance of a tare, also helps the shuttle.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 04:22 AM   #33
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Muscle energy works on the contraction, the more supple the muscle better the expansion. Bigger the expansion bigger the contraction, less chance of a tare, also helps the shuttle.
We need to talk on this H, I've been led to believe on my courses that streching has a negative effect on the explosive capabilities of a muscle due to loss of muscle tension? Surely the length of a muscle is not going to improve the explosiveness of it? If an elastic band is streched it has less taughtness and thus contracts less explosively. Read this in the Stength and conditioning degree manual too.

Please explain. C heers bud.
Old 09-03-2010, 04:23 AM   #34
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

One thing about training in water unless the body is submerged up to the top of the kneck, you can try a snorkel in the mouth is a good idea. Damage can occur with your upper vertabrea, be carefull
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 04:46 AM   #35
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

If things are worked in tandem, lets say ressistance work and stretch there isnt a problem. Most world class sprinters spend a long time stretching. When you stretch it creates tiny tares in the muscle, Nuerons being adaptable get into the habit of repairing tares so learn the process of repairing qiucker. Now it comes down to the Pscyhcodynamics of feel, there, I would say there are 2 camps, Ive found streyching the prime mover in explosive movement. Where the damage is done is bad preperation before impact and not understanding Touch and Feel the body early warning system.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 04:54 AM   #36
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Funny thing is Jeff, the guy in charge of Strength and Conditioning at the uni, a big player in this sort of thing got His masters and other such things. Big on weigths and what goes with it, is changing direction
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 04:59 AM   #37
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Lol thats bad news for me scrap i'm just getting my head round their first school of thought
Old 09-03-2010, 08:45 AM   #38
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Jeff, there are many paths to go down, whats written in books or white papers are sometime not gospel same as the internet. In life mistakes are a plenty, its realising when they are made. Thats the key, and not letting it get you down, Im always getting depressed, only last week I went out and bought a 100 asperin, and thought Id take them all and finnish it. I took 2 and felt alright.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #39
Pep

vCash: 500

Well I dug back into some sports medicine journals to see what the new wave of literature is saying about stretching. There is lots of contradictory evidence out there. Scraps on point about this not being gospel. There is no standardized rules for conducting a study and comparing one to another is often apples to oranges.

Many of the studies are not directly applicable to how an athlete may train, but instead are designed so that results can be reproduced (the goal of any scientist) in future studies. Here is a link to one interesting article that studies the effect of stretching on balance [Only registered and activated users can see links. ].

Their conclusion was that stretching increased range of motion, but was detrimental to the participants ability to coordinate themselves (balance). Decreasing a subjects balance is expected to change their ability to produce force. What need to be taken into account is that the stretching occurred moments before the physical activity.

In my Opinion stretching can increase balance and force, but it must be treated as a separate activity. Much like how you weight train (strength), drill technique (muscle memory), run (conditioning) and sprint (speed). You incorporate stretching into the regiment in order to achieve a greater range of motion. Plus when you are sore it feels damn good.
Pep is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 10:17 AM   #40
brown bomber
2010 Poster of the Year
East Side VIP

Ha ha thanks mate..
Old 09-03-2010, 12:45 PM   #41
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Pep, After one of our stretch sessions youre lucky if you can stand, its surprising in the energy output in a session. I remember a few years ago, I came up with an idea on a theme. The uni said I was wrong, but they could test the theory. I remember the final day. I was invited to go to the final Test everyone looking stern in White coats. Anyway they were pissed of because the theory worked. But lucky for me it was noticed, so the Sports Council put 1/2 a million into the project, almost finnished.
scrap is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 01:27 PM   #42
RDJ
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by brown bomber View Post
We need to talk on this H, I've been led to believe on my courses that streching has a negative effect on the explosive capabilities of a muscle due to loss of muscle tension? Surely the length of a muscle is not going to improve the explosiveness of it? If an elastic band is streched it has less taughtness and thus contracts less explosively. Read this in the Stength and conditioning degree manual too.

Please explain. C heers bud.
An elastic band doesn't supercompensate to repair itself. It's not a strong short muscle vs. a weak long muscle, as in the elastic bands case. It's long strong muscle vs. short strong muscle.

I also liked the point about coordination being off after stretching, that's rather logical IMO. If all over sudden you'd be a few percent stronger, faster, flexible or whatever, your brain would have to get used to that change. Otherwise coordination will be a bit off, your neural pathways had adapted to certain conditions and those conditions have changed.
RDJ is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 01:55 PM   #43
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scrap View Post
Pep, After one of our stretch sessions youre lucky if you can stand, its surprising in the energy output in a session. I remember a few years ago, I came up with an idea on a theme. The uni said I was wrong, but they could test the theory. I remember the final day. I was invited to go to the final Test everyone looking stern in White coats. Anyway they were pissed of because the theory worked. But lucky for me it was noticed, so the Sports Council put 1/2 a million into the project, almost finnished.
So how does it differ from saaaay.... Yoga?

Yoga practitioners are flexible and strong as ****.

Anyways, what was the theory?
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 02:07 PM   #44
viru§™
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcguirpa View Post
So how does it differ from saaaay.... Yoga?

Yoga practitioners are flexible and strong as ****.

Anyways, what was the theory?
How did you work that out?
viru§™ is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 02:08 PM   #45
scrap
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Stretching compensates for the damage done by the dominant side, that being the case for a few months you will feel Touch change there lies the rub. as regards balance and coardination. the theory was in regards to impact.
scrap is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing