Max Kellerman 22 17.60%
Voters: 125. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-26-2007, 12:48 PM   #1
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

vCash: 1000
Default Larry Merchant vs Max Kellerman

Lets have ourselves an official poll to see where we stand. Personally, Im all about Larry Merchant, he is a boxing genious, a shaman of the sweet science.

But I know many here dont like him. So I open up the forum for these misguided souls who think they would be satisfied hearing Max Kellerman for the next 30 years to speak their minds.
acb is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2007, 12:50 PM   #2
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Default Re: Larry Merchant vs Max Kellerman

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
Lets have ourselves an official poll to see where we stand. Personally, Im all about Larry Merchant, he is a boxing genious, a shaman of the sweet science.

But I know many here dont like him. So I open up the forum for these misguided souls who think they would be satisfied hearing Max Kellerman for the next 30 years to speak their minds.
I'm one of the misguided souls by your definition.

If you can't have Bernstein, its anyone else from the rest of the boxing world. And like it or not, the Kellerman's have been a huge part of boxing history, way before Max, hell way before Larry.
Guru_Too_You is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 12:51 PM   #3
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guru_Too_You
I'm one of the misguided souls by your definition.
I know but I dont judge you. Larry Wouldn´t.
acb is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 12:55 PM   #4
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
I know but I dont judge you. Larry Wouldn´t.
Youre right, he would have alreayd made his judgments, which change vastly as time passed by, because he's inconsistent with his opinions, and he would have had an analogy used by a WWI general during a battle that he wrote 6 months ago ready and in hand for the teleprompter, because he's too drunk to remember what he already wrote.

Then of course, even after an unbelievable performance during our meeting, he will shit on me incessively, tell me im worthless, tell me im ruining the sport and continue complaining until he gets back to his drinks.
Old 06-26-2007, 12:56 PM   #5
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Youre right, he would have alreayd made his judgments, which change vastly as time passed by, because he's inconsistent with his opinions, and he would have had an analogy used by a WWI general during a battle that he wrote 6 months ago ready and in hand for the teleprompter, because he's too drunk to remember what he already wrote.

Then of course, even after an unbelievable performance during our meeting, he will shit on me incessively, tell me im worthless, tell me im ruining the sport and continue complaining until he gets back to his drinks.
These are only some of the reasons I love Larry.
acb is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 12:57 PM   #6
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

vCash: 588

I like what journalist Bob Raismusen said:

"Replacing Larry Merchant with Max Kellerman would be like replacing Picasso with the guy who sells the velvet Elvises outside of Graceland. Max’s greatest asset is his ability to self-promote. He has fooled more than a few TV and radio suits, who again prove that having a brain is not a prerequisite for becoming a network sports executive. If HBO honchos dump Merchant in favor of Kellerman, it will signal a lowering of journalistic standards, which have always separated HBO Sports from all other TV sports operations.

Kellerman isn't qualified to pour Merchant's ****tails during the fight. He sure as hell isn't qualified to replace him as an analyst.

If they have to replace Merchant, get someone QUALIFIED like Al Bernstein. Tell HBO yourself if you agree:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Last edited by Zakman; 06-26-2007 at 01:01 PM.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 12:58 PM   #7
Shpion
IDF
ESB Senior Member

Merchant's fart is more valuable than Kellerman.
Shpion is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 12:59 PM   #8
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
I like what journalist Bob Raismusen said:

"Replacing Larry Merchant with Max Kellerman would be like replacing Picasso with the guy who sells the velvet Elvises outside of Graceland. MeMax’s greatest asset is his ability to self-promote. He has fooled more than a few TV and radio suits, who again prove that having a brain is not a prerequisite for becoming a network sports executive. If HBO honchos dump Merchant in favor of Kellerman, it will signal a lowering of journalistic standards, which have always separated HBO Sports from all other TV sports operations.

Kellerman isn't qualified to pour Merchant's ****tails during the fight. He sure as hell isn't qualified to replace him as an analyst.

If they have to replace Merchant, get someone QUALIFIED like Al Bernstein. Tell HBO yourself if you agree:

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Pretty sure Al already has a job.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:04 PM   #9
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Pretty sure Al already has a job.
Sure. He works for Showtime. But it's not like HBO can't offer him a better deal. These guys aren't like indentured servants you know. And Merchant could stay on until Al was ready to move, if he wanted to.

Steve Farhood is another guy who's very good - a NY guy btw, so don't confuse my objections to Kellerman with anti-NY bias. Farhood was editor of the Ring for like 15 years, and he's REAL good. That's what comes when you pay your dues covering the sport, insteand of FAKING it.
Zakman is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 01:05 PM   #10
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zakman
Sure. He works for Showtime. But it's not like HBO can't offer him a better deal. These guys aren't like indentured servants you know. And Merchant could stay on until Al was ready to move, if he wanted to.

Steve Farhood is another guy who's very good - a NY guy btw, so don't confuse my objections to Kellerman with anti-NY bias. Farhood was editor of the Ring for like 15 years, and he's REAL good. That's what comes when you pay your dues covering the sport, insteand of FAKING it.
I love Bernstein, and would also choose Farhood over Kellerman in a few years when Larry is retired.
acb is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #11
Guru_Too_You
ESB OG circa '99
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb
I love Bernstein, and would also choose Farhood over Kellerman in a few years when Larry is retired.

They would be my number one and number two choices. BUT THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

Borges outta Boston would be another great one as well, but like Farhood and Bernstein, I think he's pretty damn happy with where he is at.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:07 PM   #12
jhar26
Journeyman

Larry is the man.
jhar26 is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 01:09 PM   #13
Lacey
FREEDOM FIGHTER
ESB Jr Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhar26
Larry is the man.
agreed...
Lacey is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #14
acb
De Camaguey... Gavilan
ESB Addict

Quote:

They would be my number one and number two choices. BUT THEY ARE NOT AVAILABLE.

Borges outta Boston would be another great one as well, but like Farhood and Bernstein, I think he's pretty damn happy with where he is at.
Do you know how the contracts work over at Showtime, the length, etc.?

I cant help but think Bernstein would rather be on HBO.
acb is offline  Top
Old 06-26-2007, 01:10 PM   #15
Zakman
ESB's Chinchecker
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fab2333
Personally I dont kno why every1 is gettin mad at Kellerman for what he said. B/c if Larry was there that night he would have asked Hatton the same ?'s about Castillo being shot. etc.
Larry would have said the same exact thing.
I can't speak for anyone else, but for me, it has NOTHING to do with that. I've hated Kellerman ever since I first heard the guy on ESPN, when they canned the best commentator in the sport, Al Bernstein, to make room for this unqualified punk.

I cringed when I heard HBO was hiring this clown. Like I said, I'd rather have O'Grady commentating - and that's saying something. Kellerman is THE WORST, the ABSOLUTE worst, commentator in the sport, bar none.
Zakman is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > General Boxing Forum