Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing

Old 09-02-2010, 11:47 AM   #16
HENDO
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 500
Default Re: some running times by esb members unbelievable

It's possible to run 2.7 miles in 16 minutes, but he would be an exceptional college athlete with that time.

But if he said he ran 3 miles in 16:30, would that be so hard to believe? That's a very good time, but it's not totally unbelievable.
HENDO is offline  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #17
donizhere
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 75

i said its "Almost" world class for sustained running

2.7 miles is a sustained run.

yeah exactly a exceptional college athlete, anyway wasnt it 2.7 miles now its 2.5.
donizhere is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #18
DonBoxer
The Lion!
ESB Addict

3 miles in about 3 days. I know my limits.
DonBoxer is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 11:51 AM   #19
marvellous
Journeyman

Quote:
Originally Posted by donizhere View Post
nah its ridicolous, thats almost world class running...

4 min mile is by the greatest runners on the earth for sustained running

15 mph is the world record for sustained running (4 min mile)
huge difference between 4min mile and 6min miles. Really the standard has always been that if you are competing in sports, you should be able to do 2miles in 12mins. I think Bruce Lee use to emphasize that point too. I think most guys at running clubs should be doing those times too.
marvellous is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 11:53 AM   #20
SouthpawSlayer
Im coming for you
East Side Guru

incase you didnt know esb is full of guys who have styles comparible directly to elite professionals, olympic runners and to top it off we all have huge IQ's

for the record my fastest running time is 5 km in 22 mins ona threadmill and i hope this doesnt raise eyebrows, at the moment id struggle to do 5 km in 30 mins
SouthpawSlayer is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #21
donizhere
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthpawSlayer View Post
incase you didnt know esb is full of guys who have styles comparible directly to elite professionals, olympic runners and to top it off we all have huge IQ's

for the record my fastest running time is 5 km in 22 mins ona threadmill and i hope this doesnt raise eyebrows, at the moment id struggle to do 5 km in 30 mins

thanks for the honesty, thats not bad

keep in mind its much harder if you weigh more and your bigger.
Old 09-02-2010, 12:39 PM   #22
donizhere
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvellous View Post
huge difference between 4min mile and 6min miles. Really the standard has always been that if you are competing in sports, you should be able to do 2miles in 12mins. I think Bruce Lee use to emphasize that point too. I think most guys at running clubs should be doing those times too.
thats bs marvellous

in 1968 Bruce Lee would get his running time down to 6:30 a mile and he didnt weigh much at all.
Old 09-02-2010, 01:49 PM   #23
di tullio
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 268

Quote:
the world record by a incredible athlete for 1.8 miles or (3000km)
is 7.25 mins and the guy is sprinting painfully fast.

guys like boxinglad123 claiming they can do 2.7 miles in 16 mins,

is unbelievable and is bull

discuss
You have to be able to run 2.5 miles in 15 minutes to qualify for my High School's soccer team. For a serious athlete, it's a hard, but doable time.
di tullio is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #24
KillSomething
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 202

Quote:
Originally Posted by di tullio View Post
You have to be able to run 2.5 miles in 15 minutes to qualify for my High School's soccer team. For a serious athlete, it's a hard, but doable time.
Yup, 6 minute miles.

And for the record, 2.7 in 16 minutes is just under 6 minutes a mile. That's by no means world class or even elite college-level, and it's by no means sprinting. Stop hating on people just because they're better than you at something.

For a 3 mile run, I've seen people get under 16 minutes, all the way up to a half hour. If you get it in under 18:00 you're in some serious good shape, but a lot of average high school cross country runners do it in the 15-17 minute range.

Some of the times are probably bullshit, but that probably isn't one of them.

P.S. I did 2.7 in 21 minutes (roughly, I used a clock in the house before and after I ran, so it could have been 21:00-21:50) the other day on some serious hills, so that's about 8 minutes a mile. I hadn't ran in over 5 months. My PR is 3 miles in 18:27 flat course.

Just saying...if I can pull an 8 minute mile sustained on hills after a 5 month layoff, I'm confident someone who actually trains and runs a flat course could do a 5:50 sustained.
KillSomething is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 02:38 PM   #25
marvellous
Journeyman

Quote:
thats bs marvellous

in 1968 Bruce Lee would get his running time down to 6:30 a mile and he didnt weigh much at all.
Lee's daily training consisted of aerobic exercises, plus others which were patterned to develop his skill in fighting. He varied his exercises to avoid boredom. One of his favorite exercises was running four miles a day in 24 to 25 minutes.

He didnt weigh much but he was also pretty short so shorter strides. The quote you got states he got it down to 6.30min per mile, but thats over a few miles. If he can do 6.30 per mile over 3 miles then Im pretty sure he can do 6min mile for 2 miles. The quote also states that Bruce would sometimes do 5 miles, not sure if his 6.30per/mile still applies to that though.
marvellous is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 03:04 PM   #26
mcguirpa
Contender
ESB Senior Member

vCash: 1000

This thread is bizarre.

You're talking about 19 minute 5 km pace, which is fast, and you have to be fit, but nowhere near 'elite college level' or whatever you're talking about.

Here's a link to ;ast weeks results of the run I occasionally do on a saturday morning:
[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

15 people at 19 minutes or under, 5 of them over 40 years old, 5 of them not affiliated to any running club.

Last edited by mcguirpa; 09-02-2010 at 03:42 PM.
mcguirpa is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #27
Rob3
Journeyman

Erm not to be a twat but I'm pretty sure I run precisly that distance in 16 minutes, high 16 minutes mind. Anyway it's not world class by any means and it's certainly not a sprint. At my very fittest in terms of endurance I came 97th in a top county cross country race. The top 10 in these sort of races are on the verge of national class or were at some point at a even higher standard.

I finish about 4-6 minutes behind them. Anyway the time your quoting isn't that fast, I wish it was.
Rob3 is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 04:33 PM   #28
ToxicAngel

it has to be somewhere between 5 to 6 minutes per mile? its doable and actually a great time!!! thats the kind of pace winners of 5k marathons usually run and a time i would like to get close to. for me a mile at a relaxed pace is over 8 minutes.
ToxicAngel is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 04:40 PM   #29
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marvellous View Post
Lee's daily training consisted of aerobic exercises, plus others which were patterned to develop his skill in fighting. He varied his exercises to avoid boredom. One of his favorite exercises was running four miles a day in 24 to 25 minutes.

He didnt weigh much but he was also pretty short so shorter strides. The quote you got states he got it down to 6.30min per mile, but thats over a few miles. If he can do 6.30 per mile over 3 miles then Im pretty sure he can do 6min mile for 2 miles. The quote also states that Bruce would sometimes do 5 miles, not sure if his 6.30per/mile still applies to that though.
Bruce ran two miles per day. Two miles EVERY day, rain or shine, at varied times.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 04:43 PM   #30
Boxinglad123
Contender
ESB Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KillSomething View Post
Yup, 6 minute miles.

And for the record, 2.7 in 16 minutes is just under 6 minutes a mile. That's by no means world class or even elite college-level, and it's by no means sprinting. Stop hating on people just because they're better than you at something.

For a 3 mile run, I've seen people get under 16 minutes, all the way up to a half hour. If you get it in under 18:00 you're in some serious good shape, but a lot of average high school cross country runners do it in the 15-17 minute range.

Some of the times are probably bullshit, but that probably isn't one of them.

P.S. I did 2.7 in 21 minutes (roughly, I used a clock in the house before and after I ran, so it could have been 21:00-21:50) the other day on some serious hills, so that's about 8 minutes a mile. I hadn't ran in over 5 months. My PR is 3 miles in 18:27 flat course.

Just saying...if I can pull an 8 minute mile sustained on hills after a 5 month layoff, I'm confident someone who actually trains and runs a flat course could do a 5:50 sustained.
Boxinglad123 is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Boxing Training/Amateur Boxing