Forum Home Boxing Forum European British Classic Aussie MMA Training
Go Back   Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum

Old 09-02-2010, 03:33 AM   #1
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 346
Default Sparring in Thailand

Was in Chalong Phuket, thailand the other day, poped into a gym that Chris from FrontLine Muay Thai took me too, it was the middle of the day, stinking hot. Sparred 4 rounds with a very strong thai, couldnt belive his weight was only 64kg. Im sitting around 69kg and took it upto the thai for the full 4 rounds, his style was very hard to read but it was a great workout and pre training for a fight in Sydney early 2011.

[Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Now all i need to do is find an opponent in Australia.
Any suggestions fellas? I was hoping to fight Jimmy James but he has opted to fight a living corpse instead!
TCboxa is online now  Top
Sponsored Links
Old 09-02-2010, 03:45 AM   #2
boxoncottonon
Belt holder
ESB Addict

vCash: 850
Default Re: Sparring in Thailand

Have'nt you been talking up making your debut over there?
boxoncottonon is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 07:04 AM   #3
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

i was told it would be sanction by the thai boxing commission then when i asked what weight they want me to come in at i was told no scales, "look at you look at him, same same weight". I then spoke to Will whos an american that runs Tiger Muay thai and he told me none of the fights in Phuket are sanction by the thai boxing commission, which means it would go down as a NC on my record once the VIC boxing commission got wind.

The only sanction boxing bouts apparently are in Bangkok, lumpi stadium etc. Bit ****ed off about it because i was told it would be sanction, i think they will tell you anything to lure you out to their country and line their pockets with Farang money lol, still worth the trip as my fitness levels jumped through the roof training over here.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:53 AM   #4
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

vCash: 1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
i was told it would be sanction by the thai boxing commission then when i asked what weight they want me to come in at i was told no scales, "look at you look at him, same same weight". I then spoke to Will whos an american that runs Tiger Muay thai and he told me none of the fights in Phuket are sanction by the thai boxing commission, which means it would go down as a NC on my record once the VIC boxing commission got wind.

The only sanction boxing bouts apparently are in Bangkok, lumpi stadium etc. Bit ****ed off about it because i was told it would be sanction, i think they will tell you anything to lure you out to their country and line their pockets with Farang money lol, still worth the trip as my fitness levels jumped through the roof training over here.

Mate be very careful boxing in Thailand , it ain't unheared of for a bloke to Debut v a veteran 60-0-0 type fighter , you don't need me to tell you the possible complications involving this .
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 10:04 AM   #5
WhataRock
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

vCash: 166

Onya Ty.
WhataRock is offline  Top
Old 09-02-2010, 01:09 PM   #6
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOSEY WALES View Post
Mate be very careful boxing in Thailand , it ain't unheared of for a bloke to Debut v a veteran 60-0-0 type fighter , you don't need me to tell you the possible complications involving this .
Funny you mention that m8, orignally the guy who was coming with me was from thailand, he wanted to put me in a fight at Lumpi however at Lumpi, farangs are feed to the wolfs, we are not expected to win. And they mess with the records, ie the guys had 60 fights but they will tell me his only had 5 fights.

For this reason i opted not to go to bangkok and fight, so i contacted a gym in Chalong, the same Gym Katsidis trains at when he comes to thailand, i was told via email "no problem with a sanction bout, we can get you a fight", then i was hit by a car riding a scooter on the first week and had to return home for treatment as they were going to charge me a tone of money to xray my knee and possible plaster which wasnt even needed, it was only ligiment damage which has all but passed now. I returned about 3 weeks later to contuine training as i already had paid for accomidation over the net that wasnt refundable so i thought id make the most out of it and just train my ass off while im here and do some sight seeing on my rest days but when i found out about the NO SCALES, alarm bells went off and i suspected straight away it wasnt a sanction bout which was confirmed by Will, the owner of one of the gyms in Chalong.

I sparred 3 other guys but not very strong, the bloke i sparred the other day i think was the most experianced in their gym. Ive got some more photos ill post up when i return, the guy in the pic above was southpaw and keept switching stance but each time he did so i nailed him lol

I really just want a legit fight in Australia, being lured over here under false pretences has put a sour taste in my mouth for thailand. The main reason i come over here for a fight is because Its hard for me to get bouts in Australia because ive got a bit of amateur experiance and many of the guys in aussie just want easy fights.

Spoke to AL Akkawy the other day, he is in Sydney and he said it shouldnt be a problem to get me a fight in Sydney. I was hoping to fight Jimmy James in November and a mate tried to contact the promoter to get it matched but the promoter was out of the country at the time, next thing i knew Jimmys matched with Aswin Cabuy whom imo shouldnt even have a boxing licence due to some of the **** his pulled in the ring of late.

I should be in Sydney sometime early 2011 for more sparring and training, hopefully we can get an opponent lined up shortly after.

I thought Jimmy would be a stern test for me as a debut and was looking forward to fighting him [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]

Perhaps we can get this matched eventually, i think it would be a good fight.
Thanks for the support guys, its much appreciated.
Old 09-02-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Right rip to the body.
Right Uppercut
Right Cross just landed.
Sparring finished

More photos in my Album on ESB, [Only registered and activated users can see links. ]
Old 09-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #8
JOSEY WALES
Champion
East Side Guru

Yea TC our boxing cyber buddie from America Ted Sares (google him) has written heaps on these so called "like for like" bouts (try searching the ESB archive for them failing that email me and i will mail you his addy ), Ludicrous situation over there just take a look at Boxrec.com when they have a Promotion you get guys 1-0-1 taking on blokes with 50 plus wins getting tuned up in a round over there and on a few occasions sadly they pay the ultimate price . Good luck in the Pro's kid...
JOSEY WALES is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 01:16 AM   #9
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Thanks Josey, ill have a read up when i get back on Monday. This place is worse than germany lol, but very good for pre training, they should bring the football teams over here for training camps, imo it would work wonders for them. My first sparring session i was pretty much gassed out after 2 rounds, but then slowly worked upto the 4 rounds. They also want sparring rounds to go for 4 min. I do have respect for the smaller gyms, tough tough *******s. I tried to drop the thai i sparred but just couldnt do it. He had tree trunk type legs lol even his stomach was as tough as nails, couldnt hurt him to the body either, just put him off balance with a few shots and got him fired up a bit lol

This will be my last trip over here, not happy with the situation after spending a fair amount of money to get the ball rolling. I have some footage i might put up but i dont want to risk not getting opponents when they see the footage or the ability for them to study my style lol
Old 09-03-2010, 01:30 AM   #10
sallywinder
Belt holder
ESB Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by TCboxa View Post
Was in Chalong Phuket, thailand the other day, poped into a gym that Chris from FrontLine Muay Thai took me too, it was the middle of the day, stinking hot. Sparred 4 rounds with a very strong thai, couldnt belive his weight was only 64kg. Im sitting around 69kg and took it upto the thai for the full 4 rounds, his style was very hard to read but it was a great workout and pre training for a fight in Sydney early 2011.

Now all i need to do is find an opponent in Australia.
Any suggestions fellas? I was hoping to fight Jimmy James but he has opted to fight a living corpse instead!
by the looks of things, id say the thai was being polite......he could have knocked you the **** out at anytime.......

sallywinder is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 08:47 AM   #11
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

I had to much power for him Sally, he was loading up with just about every shot. Ill post more pictures for when i return and you can see for yourself, you one eyed umpire you lol.

Still waiting for you to give us some credibility on your claims SALLY, its in the prophosy thread you made, i noticed you side steped those questions very smoothly! hahaha
Old 09-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #12
pecks
East Side Guru

vCash: 1908

My mate has recently returned from doing one of those muay thai training camps in Thailand. Going from the picture, the gym where you are training at looks a heap better than the one he described.

He also picked up a nasty staff infection there, and that took him out of action for a bit.
pecks is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 09:01 AM   #13
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

it certainly shows on the pics how much skinnier your legs are compared to his "tree trunks"...
Hmmm is offline  Top
Old 09-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #14
TCboxa
Undisputed Champion
East Side VIP

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hmmm View Post
it certainly shows on the pics how much skinnier your legs are compared to his "tree trunks"...
I think thats one of the reasons i wasnt able to drop him, but he took everything i threw at him and come back for more, keept walking up on me when i tried to box him on the outside.

One of the gyms i went to also had MAJOR staff infections, 85% of the camp had it at Tiger Muay Thai (same camp Katsidis was training at), i swaped gyms as that gym was just full of tourists and i wanted to train and sparr with REAL thai fighters. I also had a bike accident and was very concern about infection, one cut wouldnt heal up and was festering but im all good now, dont even need the knee brace anymore.

Im glad ive been training at this gym, they really look after you and you can go easy or hard. The first session the guy wasnt really trying to hurt me or hit me hard but was only 56kg so i asked for a bigger sparring partner and told him to fight as hard as he could go. We both had 16 oz gloves on so no need to pull punches or hold back and thats what i really needed as i cant get good sparring in Albury unless i pull punches and carry sparring partners which is no good for me leading upto a fight.

Ive also got some pics in my Album sparring Billy Dibb a couple yrs ago and he wasnt pulling punches either, it was quite a good spar, he has no power but his speed was amazing. I hear Mundine uses Dibb as sparring to increase his speed. When i returned from sparring Dibb everyone in Albury i sparred seemed like they were in slow motion! I enjoy sparring fast opponents, the thai wasnt that fast, he was more of a kickboxer than boxer as you can tell by his tree trunk legs but the thais are taught to load up on every punch they throw, no tap tap jab jab, its all knock out punching.

Im 1/3 kori so i think thats where i get the skinny legs from, its one benifit of making weight lol

Last night in thailand tonight, the boys im with want to hit some of the clubs up so it looks like im babysitting all night tonight! Maby a beer or two but nothing more!

talk to u guys some more when i return on Sunday!
Old 09-03-2010, 10:52 AM   #15
Hmmm
:P
ESB Addict

vCash: 1394

cheers for the info. Good to hear youre taking it seriously.

One thing im baffled about, how does one become 1/3 kori? with one full blood and one 1/2 blood parent, once becomes 3/4. With both 1/2 blood parents one becomes/stays 1/2 blood. With a 3/4 parent and one 1/2 blood one becomes 5/8. Mathematically one can never become 1/3 of something (or any multiples of 3) since with humans you need 2 to tango...
Hmmm is offline  Top

Boxing News 24 Forum > Boxing > Australian Boxing Forum